Warner goes Blu-Ray exclusive

tkam

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah honestly it's really crucial that one of the two win in the end if they ever want to get mass market acceptance anywhere near the scale that DVD has. I'm sure Warner realized that as well, oh and I'm sure Sony paid them a crap load of money :dance:

Great. Now both formats WILL die. Way to go, Sony.

Warner is laughing all the way to the bank.

Sony is so far in the hole because of the PS3, now when BetaRay goes down the hole along with HD-DVD, Sony will lose even more. Perhaps they might now be able to recover for a long time.

Oh, well.

Yeah honestly it's really crucial that one of the two win in the end if they ever want to get mass market acceptance anywhere near the scale that DVD has.
I'm not sure I agree with this. I agree that it could be confusing, but it could just as easily be solved by making universal players, then people wouldn't care.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I agree that it could be confusing, but it could just as easily be solved by making universal players, then people wouldn't care.

Because that worked out so awesomely for dvd-a and sacd...... :horsey:

Because that worked out so awesomely for dvd-a and sacd......
Sony never dropped their licensing for SACD, making it not financially feasible for most non-Sony companies to develop a universal player. So as far as I'm concerned, Sony sabotaged that effort. It never became de rigueur to make a universal player, which is what really needs to happen to eliminate the confusion aspect. It's still early enough in the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray debacle to overcome that obstacle.

well Toshiba was the only one to really make hd-dvd players in any serious number. after the warner announcement they talked about making a combo hd-dvd/blu-ray player. i'm not so sure they'll even bother with the hd-dvd part anymore now ;).

I figure that my A3 will work good as an upconverting DVD player, to keep wear and tear off my PS3. Plus, I can hope for clearance HD-DVD's :)

I'm going to buy a bunch to show the grandkids.

"Back in my day we had these format wars, good times. 2 Fast 2 Furious? That was one of our masterpieces of modern cinema, they don't make them like that anymore" 11111ph2.gif