The Emmeline II B-52

tiberian

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a guess people...anyone hard up enough on something (or someone in this case) can do such...no not me I have a life..I dont care to think about Ray 24/7 (I know I know you may not believe that..lol)

Yeah KG congrats...drawing up something when you have no clue what it is..hell you dont even know its market yet do you?

P.S.

Ray has 2 different b-52's...which one he actually comes out with no one knows...I asked Ray yesterday to stall the production date so KG precious Time can be just alittle bit more wasted..

From KG: all I think is about Ray..how he does what he does, I have to be better at amps,speakers,cameras..hell you name it I am.

From Ray: I love the thought of him thinking so much about me..How he thinks he is better at amps,cameras,hell you name it and KG just sits there and thinks about me.

LOL

Billy, are you sniffing glue???

Ray has copied designs from tubecad in the past. That is a fact. This schematic that Kevin has shown is a balanced version of John Broskie's new amp the Aikido... this has NOTHING to do with Ray, unless he decides to copy this one as well. :P

Billy, are you sniffing glue???

. This schematic that Kevin has shown is a balanced version of John Broskie's new amp the Aikido... this has NOTHING to do with Ray, unless he decides to copy this one as well. :P

WHo is Broskie and how did he get in this thread..?

No I am not sniffing glue! I gave that up (last night..) I since moved on to sharpies...Oh yea!!!!!!

lol

WHo is Broskie and how did he get in this thread..?
John Broskie is tubecad... or at least most of the designs discussed on there were created by him. The schematic that Kevin posted is a balanced version of John's Aikido amplifier. Though I suppose he was insinuating that Ray might build this soon [since he's used John's designs before] it really has nothing to do with Ray's current amps. It sounded like you were under the impression that the schematic was his reverse engineer of the B52... I just wanted to set you straight on that account.
No I am not sniffing glue! I gave that up (last night..) I since moved on to sharpies...Oh yea!!!!!!
mmmmm, magic markers. ;D

Yep, if billy would actually pay attention for a change...

Hey billy, i have large bottles of toluene, amyl nitrite, butyl nitrite, benzene, trichlorobenzene...

If you really want something to sniff i would be more than happy to supply...

You might loose a few brain cells, but hell, you can afford it...

I'll post what i think ray's actual schematic is when i have the time.

But the broksie design actually tests quite well.

• 5 months later...

Jebus, I thought the XLR's on the front were annoying but the DC cord has to run clear across the back of the rig from the power supply to the amp. It'd be one thing if they were meant to sit next to each other like the Raptor but since this is designed to stack I just don't get it...

dsc03107.jpg

And Jay, at least he didn't put B-52 in quotes ;D!

Does anyone think it is a very lousy copy of this??

http://www.krellonline.com/krell_component.php?id=87&page=EVO202

That's an insult to the Krell.

Ray's amp looks like a bad derivative of the Krell perhaps. There's just way too much going on for me - not to mention the layout flaws I mentioned along with your noted design problems. There are elements of the chassis that I like actually, the lighted source knob is really trick but it just gets lost next to the monster volume knob and I like the layout of the tubes and their hardware but they get lost behind the faceplate.

The head-fi ray samuels marketing machine will be there to help ray sell the b52's.

That and i bet stereophile will just eat the thing up. Then again, maybe not.

As a preamp its output impedance is going to be way to high. A CJ-ART it isn't.

I estimate 50k ohms.

quoting conrad johnson

"Even high-conductance triode tubes (such as the 6DJ8 and 6922) would normally have too high an output impedance. The traditional solution is to add a buffer stage (cathode follower) to the circuit. What we have done instead is to construct a composite triode made of several sections of 6922. Each doubling of the number of sections reduces the output impedance by a factor of two. The ART uses 10 sections... the Premier 17LS uses 4. In the case of the 17LS, the resulting output impedance is about 800 ohms."

Yet i expect it to be priced more than the 17ls... No remote control, no input switching...

As a headphone amp it is 2 raptors in series. What's worse than one raptor ???

And the tomahawk, how many people will buy that piece of shit and not pay attention

to the fact that it won't drive regular headphones and want to send it back.

And as far as krell, ray's thing is definitely a slap in the face of real gear.

I'm planning on a fork lift upgrade coming in february as soon as i can get

a firm delivery on the new jvc HD projector with 10k:1 CR.

Then a new krell preamp and a pair of krell monoblocks.

All my current krell is now 7 years old...