Pantload of new music from Steve Hoffman!

deepak

First off some jazz LPs (Blue Train!!! :o :o :o )

Lucky Tom Moynihan, co-owner of Tenor Audio of Montreal (makers of the world's most beautiful and most darned expensive tube amplifiers) just happened to pay Kevin Gray and I a visit today at RTI/AcousTech Mastering and got to witness the cutting of two of the most famous albums in Jazz history. His jaw dropped when we asked him to carry the master tape reels to the studio from the RTI vault, heh. Wish I took a photo of his reaction.

The Cannonball Adderley/Miles Davis SOMETHIN' ELSE masters sounded wonderful but nothing prepared me for the thrill of listening to the masters of John Coltrane's BLUE TRAIN. The depth and presence of the masters are astounding. I have not heard that amazing sound captured on any LP or CD release of this famous album. Hopefully we did our job and you will hear it on our 45 RPM stereo version cut for Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds. We carefully compared the original first pressing mono RVG cut LP of this title and made sure that the midrange magic "breath of life" was reproduced on our version but with full dynamic and tonal range. Uncanny realistic sounding recording. We did a test cut of the first track and played the lacquer back, sync'd up to the actual master tape as mastered by us. Bingo, sounded damn identical. Yummy sound! Resurrecting the dead. In stereo!

Last week we cut Kenny Burrell's MIDNIGHT BLUE and Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers MOANIN' in stereo on 45. Same chills!

When these are released in a few months I think you're going to love 'em.

And Love- Forever Changes on CD

Coming April 22, 2008! Reissue produced by SH Forums member and Rhino maven Andrew Sandoval.

Rhino is going to present the original album as disc one and then have a bonus disc with the alternate album mixes, unissued backing tracks and other things Andrew has dug up. Just wait till you hear their impromptu version of "Wooly Bully" from the session for "The Red Telephone."

Andrew also found the song left off the album called "Wonder People" in a vintage Bruce Botnick '67 stereo mix that had some extra edits and vocal effects, different from the bonus 1970's remix of the song used on the older Rhino CD. Keep your old CD if you want the later mix I guess..

At any rate, the issued stereo album mix will be on disc one mastered by Rhino in-house and on disc two will be the entire 1970's remix of the FOREVER CHANGES album and I was thrilled to be able to remaster this disc two remix version for this project. It sounds great and is really a unique window "in" to how it must have sounded in the studio during playback of the album.

I'm excited about this!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be on that Coltrane like a pack of rabid dogs on a 3-legged cat. :prettyprincess:

But theres so much more coming out too. And a lot of people seem to forget about the Fantasy set he did. 100 albums. I'm slowly working my way through the lot, and so far I have found my new 'desert island' album; Duke Ellington and Ray Brown This One's For Blanton. I think its the best sounding piece of music I have ever heard. But they all sound damn good.

I am going to pay a studio engineer to transfer the vinyl of Blue Train for me.

I'm going to pick up a few of those Fantasy 45s I've been eyeing up for a while. No point waiting till they go OOP, already missed out on a few great Bill Evans records :/

How sweet of Acoustic Sounds to offer up all 25 in one lump sum order, and they don't offer any discount even though you'd be dropping $1250 on music :rant:

I may be able to get a 'loan' of one of the evans, to be transfered to digital, then sent back to the owner ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh and YGPM ;D

Even though Waltz for Debby is a bit over rated IMO, I'd love to hear what that would sound like. Shootout between the Hoffman LP and The Tape Project master tape...damn that would be hella fun O0

I think once I have a semi-permanent apartment, I'm going to just do this the American way; pay someone else to set it up. :D

Probably not available in the yellow pages, but Im sure someone will find their way to the money.

well, not to discourage you but these things don't just stay put. I've noticed that VTF for example needs to be adjusted every 1-2 months, I'm supposing due to weather changes... also as cartridges age things change as well. Learn to do it properly, that's my advice :)

level it

set vta

set vtf

set alignment

[suggested addition]

repeat at least 5 times to "get it right"

pass out from boredom of adjusting table

awaken to find that you fell on the table when you passed out and have to start all over again

give up, grab your favorite CD and listen without hassle

[/suggested addition]

That was great, Nate.

All the adjustments and setup pains are things I sure don't miss about my table.

The old Scout stock arm doesn't have that many adjustments compared to the new VPI JMW 9- it has VTA adjustment on the fly (a knob that lets you adjust while the record is playing :o ), think of all the salivating tweakophiles :kitty:

i'm not a big VTA guy. I just keep mine at zero and am pretty happy. if a disc is a bit too thick, it just makes the sound a bit warmer, which is fine by me.

after a year of practice on the technics, setting up a cart perfect is just a cinch now. it was a steeeeeep learning curve, and the 1200 is a very forgiving and user friendly table, as far as tables go anyway, but i've got it now, no problem. definitely helps to have an arc protractor made for your tonearm.

I just listened to one of two new Blue Note Hoffman releases, Undercurrents by Kenny Drew and a bunch of jazz heroes. IT IS AWESOME! I had never even heard the album (unless I checked it out on Rhapsody when I signed up for the Blue Note series). Anyway, these are even better than the Fantasy 45s as an overall package, and I am torn on whether to just order up the Acoustic Sounds Blue Note series as well... :-\