ZYX Bloom, best bargain MC under $5,000?

luvdunhill

Mike I'll bring the cart and my set gear to CanJam if you want and we can do a comparison on your table if you like, unfortunately after you hear it you might end spending some cash

That would be great. If it beats out my cart, then it goes on Audiogon and I pick up the Zyx.

• 2 months later...

I was going to buy a ZYX while in Singapore, but the dealer had both the Transfiguration Orpheus and Air Tight PC-1. Even with the shitty dollar conversion rate, the PC-1 came out on top and should sound great on my Basis set up. It will replace a Lyra Titan, which just didn't quite do it for me (replacing a Koetsu). I would love to hear one set up properly.

:dance:

• 2 months later...
I'm looking to buy a Fuji but the dealer has a Cosmos (nude Airy 3) with 10 hrs on it boxed with headshell silver weight and full guarantee for the same price

nice!

I think depending on your setup that the weight is absolutely necessary. I have a blob of blue tack on top of my cartridge and have no doubt that the improvements of the SB would be well worth it, as it has in the past for me.

• 3 weeks later...
The bloom seems very interesting.

Is it fairly forgiving, or really tweaky to set up?

extremely tweaky. my main pain point with it is that it sounds totally freaking awesome the first time you listen to it... I mean, incredible. Then you realize that you can tweak it more (especially VTA, but I can hear differences in .05g VTF for example) and you start to dial it in for a particular record (recording idiosyncrasies, record thickness, your current sonic preferences of the day, etc.) and it sounds even better... then you start doing this for every record... I mean, it doesn't sound bad with an average setup, but once you hear the detail this thing offers when setup just right, it's quite amazing... then there are the other models... at this point, I'd love to finish up some projects and just tweak and listen... soon it will happen, and it will be a wonderful day!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

just as an update a month or so ago I bought my Bloom back from Dan by way of Alex and WOW what a great cart. Not sure what I was thinking when I sold it, although I dod just upgrade to the Atmos but I do think this will remain the back up.

It is a shame that Zyx got greedy and axed Sora Sound as Mehran was a great dealer/dist for them. At $500 it was the deal of the century at $1000 it is a tougher sell. Still great for a grand just tough to stomach a 100% markup over the previous price. Hate to say it but I like it over the Denon DL-S1.

just as an update a month or so ago I bought my Bloom back from Dan by way of Alex and WOW what a great cart. Not sure what I was thinking when I sold it, although I dod just upgrade to the Atmos but I do think this will remain the back up.

It is a shame that Zyx got greedy and axed Sora Sound as Mehran was a great dealer/dist for them. At $500 it was the deal of the century at $1000 it is a tougher sell. Still great for a grand just tough to stomach a 100% markup over the previous price. Hate to say it but I like it over the Denon DL-S1.

What? Don't tell me this. So your current bench reads Atmos, Bloom DL-S1?

yes Greg the Bloom has better mids than the Denon but the Denon has the better bass. In the end it is a trade off but I am going to sell the Denon on the net few days and stick with the Bloom as a back up for the Atmos. Liking the Bloom over the Denon does not make the Denon suck. Both the Shelter and Denon are great carts in their own right but at the end of the day given the trade offs with each cart I do really prefer the Bloom. You could get the ZYX RS100 on ebay for $680:jacob:

HOLY COW! the Atmos is a screaming amazing cart and as good as the Yatra, Fuji and Bloom were the Atmos smokes the living daylights out of them.

I'm going to give it a break in over 25 hours or to begin to listen seriously as most reviews point to this time frame for suspension break in. So far all aspects of reproduction are vastly improved, sounds really jump out of the speakers . Listening to Willie Nelsons Stardust, what a fun record, and the guitar snap is wonderful and the vocals are just magnificent.