Gem Dandy LP cleaner

jp11801

ok I am throwing the gauntlet down on the steam cleaning. Mike and Al will be around Sunday in San Francisco and I will bring the steam cleaner and demo the before and after. At the minimum it is as good or better than expensive solutions, one bottle of cleaner costs as much as a 'perfection' steam cleaner available at walgreens $29.99.

I would estimate that groove noise it cut in half on a record that I previously cleaned with cleaning solution and vinyl zyme on a vpi 16.5.

The mapleshade steamer is the perfection model sold with an ungodly markup and some solution that I would not let enter a steam cleaner. DO NOT put anything other than water in a steam cleaner.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mapleshade...over pricing... get out :kitty:

You should read their print catalog, the guy sounds like a genuine nut.

Mapleshade CDs are quite reasonably priced and well recorded. The trick is to find performances that you like. I've been lucky, I've bought 5 or 6 Mapleshade CDs and only have 1 stinker. Also, as mentioned above, Mapleshade amp stands appear to be quite nice and are much cheaper than competitive products I've seen. I agree that the LP steam cleaner is overpriced. So their prices are a mixed bag.

many mapleshade items are overpriced but the racks are not bad as are the maple blocks. I have a timber nation flame maple block 18 by 24 that I use for my TT stand nice work but probably made of 9 pieces or wood the mapleshade are 3 large piece. Both are nice and make great stands. His cds are great sounding as well minimal miking some of the best I own and he offers an exchange if you think the music on them sucks. Put me down for the trash can sonata by Dusty.

Do you have a RCM as well? If you have a RCM with a vacuum then just lay the lp on it and start the turntable then steam for about 15 seconds a side. I then vacuum off the water then repeat. You may want to experiment with record cleaning solutions as well to lossen up the grime.

Do you have a RCM as well? If you have a RCM with a vacuum then just lay the lp on it and start the turntable then steam for about 15 seconds a side. I then vacuum off the water then repeat. You may want to experiment with record cleaning solutions as well to lossen up the grime.

Given your obsession with steam, I have a new avatar for your use. Enjoy:

steamboy_poster.jpg

Nice one I may have to use it. BTW the GEM Dandy cleans the shit out of a record but is incredibly messy water goes everywhere but the record is very clean and free of any leftover record cleaning fluids. For me this is outdoor only and I'd have to clean 10 or more at a time to make the mess and hassle worth it. Steam OTOH is easy to use and can be ready in minutes and makes no mess. I have listened to records that have been previously cleaned with disc doctor fluid on a vpi 16.5 then steam cleaned them and to my ears they had more top end detail and greater soundstage. I am open to the fact that it may be placebo or some other mind fuck but I'd be willing to have a local check it out with me to see if they hear it.

I am open to the fact that it may be placebo or some other mind fuck but I'd be willing to have a local check it out with me to see if they hear it.

Yes, but that would most likely involve large amounts of beer. Has anyone done a study on the effects of different brews and how it affects hearing? You could even apply for a government grant, I'm sure.

Nice one I may have to use it. BTW the GEM Dandy cleans the shit out of a record but is incredibly messy water goes everywhere but the record is very clean and free of any leftover record cleaning fluids. For me this is outdoor only and I'd have to clean 10 or more at a time to make the mess and hassle worth it. Steam OTOH is easy to use and can be ready in minutes and makes no mess. I have listened to records that have been previously cleaned with disc doctor fluid on a vpi 16.5 then steam cleaned them and to my ears they had more top end detail and greater soundstage. I am open to the fact that it may be placebo or some other mind fuck but I'd be willing to have a local check it out with me to see if they hear it.

What are you doing tonight? I may have some free time to come over for the Big Test.

Yes, but that would most likely involve large amounts of beer. Has anyone done a study on the effects of different brews and how it affects hearing? You could even apply for a government grant, I'm sure.

True. True. Beer goggles for the ears are a very likely contributing factor.

Do you need a record cleaner (ala VPI, Nitty Gritty, etc.) in addition to steam cleaning your records, or could you scrub the records by hand and then steam clean and get similar results?

Do you need a record cleaner (ala VPI, Nitty Gritty, etc.) in addition to steam cleaning your records, or could you scrub the records by hand and then steam clean and get similar results?

Steve, I read this post on Audiogon and thought about your query.

I just bought the Perfection steam cleaner at Walgreens. Since I was impatient, I tried it with filtered water on some records I didn't care about. Just blasted them with the steam and wiped with a nice thick microfiber auto detailing cloth from Target. Quick, simple, and more effective than my Nitty Gritty. Highly recommended.

One thing that bothered me was the nasty burning plastic chemical smell from the steam. We are all so worried about having the purest water, but in the end contamination from the plastic leaching nasty stuff into the steam is probably a bigger problem. The records sounded great, however.

Steve, I read this post on Audiogon and thought about your query.

I just bought the Perfection steam cleaner at Walgreens. Since I was impatient, I tried it with filtered water on some records I didn't care about. Just blasted them with the steam and wiped with a nice thick microfiber auto detailing cloth from Target. Quick, simple, and more effective than my Nitty Gritty. Highly recommended.

One thing that bothered me was the nasty burning plastic chemical smell from the steam. We are all so worried about having the purest water, but in the end contamination from the plastic leaching nasty stuff into the steam is probably a bigger problem. The records sounded great, however.

I will have to stop by Walgreen and get the perfection steamer and try this. I'll give it a try with some vinyl that I don't care about.

Hopefully the chemical smell will go away with some use.

Thanks David :)