Camera Lens for Gear/Meets/Etc.

Voltron

Well, somewhat serious at least. Since you have a hot shoe, you can use bounce or diffused flash for times where you don't have enough light, and get nice looking shots. ISO100 is fine for flash, outdoors in good light, or for anything static if you use a tripod. You'd just be screwed trying to shoot moving objects in less than perfect light, but the AF performance of such cameras doesn't exactly tailor them for that purpose anyway.

It's ironic, since I really like having that dedicated ISO dial on the G9, instead of having to go into the menus to change it like most P&S cams, yet to actually use the dial beyond the minimum setting is asking for trouble.

From what I've seen the DP1, and Foveon cameras in general, just aren't very good at high ISO thus far, but that is in a comparison amongst DSLR's, not P&S cameras. Looking at the DPReview tests of the G9 and DP1, the DP1 to my eyes does much better in the noise department, with ISO800 on the DP1 looking like ISO200 on the G9. Not that it should be much of a surprise, considering the gulf in sensor sizes. Of course, the DP1 has plenty of it's own issues, not to mention price. Even with the noise issue, I'd buy a G9 before I ever bought a DP1, and with a nice external flash to boot still coming in at a lower cost.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmadp1/page10.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/page7.asp