The Orthodynamic Thread

spritzer

Where would you ortho heads rank the modded T50rp in the ortholand?

T50RP are nice, about at T20v2 level but slightly better in clearity, bass and resolution. In no way do they even come close to good stat level of performance, IMHO, and I like modded YH-1 and YH-100 better. I also like stock T30 better, but comfort is nowhere as good for T30 as it for T50 :( T50s are very comfortable if a bit hot.

Overall T50RP are really nice, easy to drive and comfortable. You will have to modify them to sound their best. If you don't want to go Smeggy on them, you can try my mod to since it's easy and if I can do it anyone can :D

180px-T50RP_m2.jpg magnify-clip.png

Fostex T50RP Mod

All I ended up doing on mine as of right now is line the backs with weatherstrip and have a layer of craft felt over that, with a reflex dot on the back of the driver. The bass is HUGE currently (with a good seal) and the treble is slightly attenuated so all I need to do is damp. I had two weatherstrips on the backs of the T50RPv2 before that and it killed the bass.

I would rank the Fostexen I own to currently be: T40v1 > T50RPv2 > T20v2

The YH-1/HP-1 would be between the T50RP and the T20. The T50RP has more potential.

Electrostats can't really beat the orthos for sheer impact, which the T50RPv2 has in spades.

So that's why the "other thread" has been silent.... :)

Ok, for those of you who did not read about it there, if you are still interested in the cashmere felt group by, drop me a note. I'll probably go get it on Saturday.

And, I don't really believe the T50rp are better than the Yamas, smeggy! :P

So that's why the "other thread" has been silent.... :)

Ok, for those of you who did not read about it there, if you are still interested in the cashmere felt group by, drop me a note. I'll probably go get it on Saturday.

And, I don't really believe the T50rp are better than the Yamas, smeggy! :P

Heya Ludo, welcome to the madhouse! :D

Heh, the RP is teh awesomez and kicks Yammy butt no matter what Faust and you say ;)

As to the felt situation, I'll have to let you know on Friday if I can order some. It sounds like good stuff.

Heya Ludo, welcome to the madhouse! :D

Been lurking for a while, then had to join to hold up the Yama flag. ;D

Heh, the RP is teh awesomez and kicks Yammy butt no matter what Faust and you say ;)

As to the felt situation, I'll have to let you know on Friday if I can order some. It sounds like good stuff.

Heh, you are a rocker so subtle nuances are lost on you. :P

As for the felt, don't worry I'll send you a piece, it's the least I can do. BTW I can't wait for the YH-1 you modded to arrive, as I think I'll love them.

So...I'm new to this modding stuff -- would I be able to use felt without rehousing the drivers?

Yep, rehousing is a pretty extreme mod that few will venture into because it's a pain in the ass. Most ortho mods are done in the standard housing. I just go nutz on mine because I can :D Ludo here and a few others in this thread are very good at the felting thing and plenty of advice and guidance is on hand should you want it.

So...I'm new to this modding stuff -- would I be able to use felt without rehousing the drivers?

Yeah. It's simple take a look at my mode in the pic above, oh well let me re-post it one more time:

T50RP_m2.jpg

Here some pics of the actual phones being modded:

FostexT50_driver_cup.jpg

FostexT50_mod.jpg

These were from the fist mod without the bluetack/bitumen. If you want to apply bluetack do it to the back of the cup, but don't block the vents. You can use open sell foam instead of cotton or mineral wool. Make sure not to damage the rubber posts as they serve to reduce vibrations/resonances to isolate the baffle from the back of the cup.

The sound will change based on the felt type, foam type and the amount of foam and felt that you use. You can also use a reflex dot, small circle of adhesive paper applied to the back of the driver, to boot HF. I wanted a slightly darker signature so I did not do that to my set, but I tried it and it work really well if you want more HF; the large the dot the more HF you get.

Good luck :D

Been lurking for a while, then had to join to hold up the Yama flag. ;D

Heh, you are a rocker so subtle nuances are lost on you. :P

As for the felt, don't worry I'll send you a piece, it's the least I can do. BTW I can't wait for the YH-1 you modded to arrive, as I think I'll love them.

Cheers ludo, but if I can I'd like to order like everyone else, or I'll sulk ;D

I'll have you know, I've been testing the RP regularly with those tracks of yours.

as to the YH-1, there wasn't much tweaking done to them as you wanted to work your damping magic on them and rewire anyway, however, once you do your thing on them I think they'll be pretty sweet sounding.

I listened to a pair of T50rp yesterday, and they really are quite good. Good enough that I ordered a pair when I got home. They had a reflex dot, felt against the vents I think, and a little bit of chassis damping, and were quite bassy, and it went nice and low. I was suspecting that thin craft felt would be about what I want in the way of damping, though we didnt really mess around with it at all. Maybe more. I will see when they arrive.

Hey, so you did end up ordering them!

Yeah, I'm trying to get them to sound like the Lambda(s) in terms of frequency response, so I'm going to damp them harder for more treble, trading off some bass. There's quite a bit of bass to go around anyway, as you know. >:D

Btw, I just had a whole lining of craft felt over the weatherstrip chassis dampening.

Yup, placed an order shortly after I got back from your place. Now to wait for them to arrive. Brought the HP-1 in to work today though. You are right though, there is definitely plenty of room to play around with damping, though they still sound quite good stock. Those drivers sure are little bass monsters.