swt61's beautiful work

boomana

Steve graciously made me this stand. I took a couple lousy pictures that weren't good enough to post. Nate took this one at CanJam, so I finally get to show off how beautiful it is. I think Iron Dreamer took a few good shots as well if he gets around to showing them.

96651784.jpg

I also got to see Steve's work on Jay's amp and stand this weekend, and the pics I'd seen prior don't do it justice. Thanks Steve for beautifying our gear!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I saw it on the CanJam thread. Beautifully made. Suits your R10's very nicely. What's that silver plate on the right side? Does it have your named engraved in or something?

It says "boomana 2007/head-fier of the year" Steve made the stand for me because I was voted that on head-fi, even though it was the head-case voters that got me that title. Gotta love irony. Actually, I just love the stand. :)

Anyone have pics of Philys headphone stand and amp by him? there is some weird cross section design that is Fucking amazing!!!

phil's amp is so perfectly balanced with the rough stock look and the beautifully done finished wood.

SWT has to be some kind of wood craftsmen cause his work is to well finished. i am not fanboying him just giving him credit cause from his work he is do for it.

Might be a dumb question (but hey, that aint a first if you guys been on IRC :D :D :D)... but are any of the stands top part customized for the curve of a specific headphone?

And great looking stand. Is it supposed to hold two headphones or is the side with the engraving for cables?

Might be a dumb question (but hey, that aint a first if you guys been on IRC :D :D :D)... but are any of the stands top part customized for the curve of a specific headphone?

And great looking stand. Is it supposed to hold two headphones or is the side with the engraving for cables?

It was built to hold two headphones, and as luck would have it that's what Vicki will own (MDR-R10 and SR-007).

I have tailored the curve of a headphone stand to the headphone it was meant for, but honestly the curve I use as standard almost always works well, as the headband generally molds to the curve.

Did you work out some "optimal curve" for the Jecklin Float stand you made for me? I can remember rattling off a fair few sets of measurements, can't look back that far in my pms though on account of them being lost in the great head-fire of '07.

Did you work out some "optimal curve" for the Jecklin Float stand you made for me? I can remember rattling off a fair few sets of measurements, can't look back that far in my pms though on account of them being lost in the great head-fire of '07.

That's the stand that started it all! My very first stand.

Yes we talked about measurements, but if I'd have had them in person I could have done much better.

What's really funny is that philodox's amp faceplate (Massive Attack) is about the most complex piece I've made for gear, and that was all from measurements only. I held my breath during the 15 day journey to Canada.

What's really funny is that philodox's amp faceplate (Massive Attack) is about the most complex piece I've made for gear, and that was all from measurements only. I held my breath during the 15 day journey to Canada.

Good thing we measured three times, after spending hours on component placement.

That's the stand that started it all! My very first stand.

Yes we talked about measurements, but if I'd have had them in person I could have done much better.

Was it indeed? I feel doubly honoured now. I doubt you could have done a better job with a set in hand because the fit is pretty damn perfect for the Jecklins, cure and all. The Ergos are taller so they rest on the foot rather than the stand but the Ergos are only on to keep the stand warm while the Jecklins are on loan :D

What was so complicated regarding the faceplate? I don't think I've ever seen a high res pic of it.

Good thing we measured three times, after spending hours on component placement.

Better yet that you were involved! O0

Was it indeed? I feel doubly honoured now. I doubt you could have done a better job with a set in hand because the fit is pretty damn perfect for the Jecklins, cure and all. The Ergos are taller so they rest on the foot rather than the stand but the Ergos are only on to keep the stand warm while the Jecklins are on loan :D

What was so complicated regarding the faceplate? I don't think I've ever seen a high res pic of it.

Well all of the knobs and jacks have a back inlay of Gabon Ebony for one. And there was a lot going on inside the amp that dictated the proper placement of every item on the faceplate.

The trim piece for his Eastsound CD5 was not much easier. It has several counterbored holes for the existing buttons that had to be spaced perfectly.

I had Jay send me the stock chrome trim piece to use as a pattern, but he sent it in an envelop instead of a box, and it looked like a modern art piece when it reached me.

That was a fun night of hammering and straitening, hoping it would still be useful as a pattern. Luck was with us though, and it worked out fine.

Well since we already have this lovefest thread for my work, let me be completely socially unacceptable and post some work myself for your perusal. I'll try not to through my shoulder out. :P

These are my first Sennheiser woody cups. I made them for an S

The lovefest continues. Gorgeous. I'd think they'd be too heavy, though.

The wood is very thin toward the top, about 1/8" - 3/16", and no more than 1/4" on the sides. And the Burl Maple is fairly light anyway. I'd say these are just slightly heavier than the stock plastic grills. My guess is no more than 1 ounce each.