swt61's beautiful work

boomana

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

Do you think that you could do them with a near full grill, Orpheus style? Cause that would be all sorts of hot.

I'm not sure how I'd bend the grill to fit. If I had a way of bending the grill edge over in a neat fashion I could do it.

I could make a pair with a pretty small lip though.

You know that a Wenge pair with Black grills would look pretty yummy on your 580. >:D

You know that a Wenge pair with Black grills would look pretty yummy on your 580. >:D

So sad that I only own 650s then. :( Something tells me that a wenge pair w/ black grills would still look slick as hell even w/ the silver framed 650s. If you're looking for a beta tester I know one. ;)

And I think that it would look great even if you didn't turn the edge of the grill down but left a 1/4"-3/8" lip at the edge (just a bit smaller than what you have on that first pair, all the way around) where you could use the Grado hot glue trick to pin the grill down.

So sad that I only own 650s then. :( Something tells me that a wenge pair w/ black grills would still look slick as hell even w/ the silver framed 650s. If you're looking for a beta tester I know one. ;)

And I think that it would look great even if you didn't turn the edge of the grill down but left a 1/4"-3/8" lip at the edge (just a bit smaller than what you have on that first pair, all the way around) where you could use the Grado hot glue trick to pin the grill down.

Yep, that's pretty much how I was thinking they'd look too. Of coarse I have a few dozen projects to finish up first.

I think luvdunhill's hired a goon already. :P

My beautiful new OII stand from Steve. Its perfect:

20080520swt61standandomdk5.jpg

The stand uses wenge and asian satinwood. We waited a long time for the asian satinwood to come in, and it definitely was the right decision. Of course these pictures don't do it justice, but in the light it shines a beautiful silver-esque:

20080520swt61standandomit2.jpg

I asked Steve to make the stand suitable for use with the Stax plastic cover:

20080520swt61standandomds8.jpg

This is my first fancy schmancy headphone stand, and I'm very pleased with it! I think the OII is a headphone deserving of such a fine stand to rest on. The wood combinations used in this stand just go perfect with the black and silver in my OII.

Thanks Steve! :prettyprincess:

Ah sweet Jack, it fits inside the dust cover just as we hoped it would.

On this one I decided to mortise the pillar into the base. The mortise is slightly smaller than the pillar, and the pillar was slightly eased to a tenon just to the exact hight of the base. The base also carries over that same counter arch from the top. It's hard to see in these pics, but it runs the width of the base just to add a little more interest.

I also decided to use stainless steel Torx head screws on the back to hold the pillar to the base mortise, and to hold the hanger at the top of the pillar. My thought was that this would make it easy for Jack to take it apart and wrap each piece individually for easier packing, should he want to pack it for meets or future moves. Of coarse the screws are countersunk and actually add a bit of flair IMO.

The Omegas really are worthy of an important stand, and they look great on there Jack!

I'm surprised the pads don't touch...I guess it depends on how much bend one puts in the arc, as I'd wager mine would touch on this stand. I wonder how effective an integrated plexiglass cover would be compared to the vinyl Stax covers... Something that latched or snapped shut with rubber weatherstripping.

Looks great Steve!

I'm surprised the pads don't touch...I guess it depends on how much bend one puts in the arc, as I'd wager mine would touch on this stand. I wonder how effective an integrated plexiglass cover would be compared to the vinyl Stax covers... Something that latched or snapped shut with rubber weatherstripping.

Looks great Steve!

That would be very cool. Curved smoked plexi sealable cover :drool:

Looks great Steve!

I think a plexi cover would be cool, but honestly would the rubber seal and latch be overkill? We're just trying to keep dust out, not micro organisms, or am I missing something?

I think a plexi cover would be cool, but honestly would the rubber seal and latch be overkill? We're just trying to keep dust out, not micro organisms, or am I missing something?
Dude, you're talking to a bunch of people who use gold and silver interconnects, power cords that are better than what is in the walls, listen to music at specific times of day because it sounds better then, believe that equipment changes its sound over time, and use capacitors with the same specs made out of different materials. "Overkill" is not in our vocabulary...well it is, but as a design philosophy.