swt61's beautiful work

boomana

While I definitely fall into the "overkill as a design philosophy" category, I can't see a reason for the sealed headphone stand, unless of coarse it's going to double as a cigar humidor. And that might sell actually.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I definitely fall into the "overkill as a design philosophy" category, I can't see a reason for the sealed headphone stand...
You obviously don't own any cats. Hirsch has a cat that place a cat hair in a specific place just by thinking about it. Of course, a hermetically sealed headphone-humidor won't help that, but it'll help reduce the hairs that "just happen" to get blown in there between the cracks.

While I definitely fall into the "overkill as a design philosophy" category, I can't see a reason for the sealed headphone stand, unless of coarse it's going to double as a cigar humidor. And that might sell actually.

that's be sweet. Then I can upgrade up the Japanese cigarette smoke that's infiltrated my SR-007 to an Opus X smell.

Also, aren't electrostatics more sensitive to fine particulate matter (tiny hairs, etc.) than dynamic drivers? I'm not saying dynamic drivers aren't sensitive to stuff in the air (I distinctly remember a certain L3000...), but because of the high voltages, isn't it worse for electrostatics?

oh, perhaps we should upgrade to teflon cover, just in cause there happen to be any amps nearby that output several kilovolts... and an integrated always-on bias.... and, and, and...

How about a plastic helmet that we can wear, with a breathing apparatus, so it could be filled with some gas like Dayton-Wright did for a higher bias voltage?? :kitty:

• 4 months later...

Hey I just finished a couple of stands for some AT's that I thought were kind of interesting.

The client wanted a similar shape to AT's own stand design, but he wanted colors to match his headphones (W11-JPN & W-5000).

I made them kind of tall, because I want the wooden headphone cups to sit in the middle of the Curly Maple pillar pieces. That should make the headphones pop off of the lighter Maple.

My flash makes the W11-JPN stand look kind of Pinkish, but it's really a Brownish/Burgundy, and a very close match to that headphone.

jeffsstands0031077x8085nw1.jpg

Thanks, The W-5000 stand is Macassar Ebony, which is what the headphone cups are made from. It's a satin finish to match the headphones.

I used a Japanese Cherry for the W11-JPN stand, and stained it with a Merlot stain followed by a Burgundy toner. It's a gloss finish, as is the W11-JPN.

The stands look amazing. First I was just staring at the picture, going wow.....that could sorta match my w5000. Then I read the post and it made more sense.

My w5000 has a lot darker of a finish than I've seen most other w5000s have. I'd say it's almost all a very dark brown/black. Looking closer I can see the patterns that are more evident in the lighter colored w5000s. Are the wood cups naturally like this/have mine aged?

Was wondering how tell those stands are? Is it near 1.5 '?

The stands are about 14" tall.

Your pair of W5000's most likely just happen to be of a darker piece of Macassar Ebony. I've seen a huge variance in W5000s, which doesn't surprise me at all, because I've also encountered huge variances in the Macassar Ebony I've used over the years.

Also remember that this stand has the camera flash enhancing the grain. It's a bit darker in person.

I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon. My main rig should be all sorted out in the next few months and then I will need stands for several phones. I really like how the stands are not one-size fits all phones and they are tailored to the phone and owner. (SHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILLSHILL)

• 5 months later...