Used CD/record shopping

deepak

Do you guys still find bargains on used music? After spending a while in NYC and Boston it seems most places priced the good stuff at Ebay or higher prices. And the local stores in my area now basically stock crap that has a nice fine line of dust on it. I think I'm going to all the wrong places :sadcat:

I used to go to a local place called CD Warehouse, but they have really been struggling since the takeoff of MP3. I haven't been in at least a year, and before that, it was once every 6 months or so. Every time I came back, I expected the store to be out of business, and was pleasantly surprised to find it there. But their selection was too stagnant. They started selling videogames and movies to help stay afloat, and as a result their CD selection suffered further. I just use Amazon Marketplace now, for the most part.

You need to come to Montreal. :P

In a radius of a 10 minutes walk starting at Metro Mont-Royal, there are about 7-8 shops with an excellent selection of CDs and a decent selection of vinyls. Usually, I make myself a list of 10 albums that I'm looking for and end up finding 3 or 4 everytime. I have only around 400 CDs though so there's still a lot of stuff to explore.

Well THC would be involved in one, financial state in the other.

Yeah, THC is pretty easy to find up here. It's been a while since I rolled one with my friends though... since I started university, beer pretty much replaced weed. O0

I joined SH about a year ago after lurking for a while, but have only 11 posts ^-^

I'm in the same situation. These guys know a lot more stuff than me about recording and mastering and I never feel like I can contribute with something informative that hasn't already been said.

That's true, most of the discussions in the music section are classic-rock oriented, which matches SH tastes. They also tend to overemphasize the importance of mastering sometimes when talking of night & day day differences, but we kinda do the same thing with headphones here and even more on H-F.