Dipped my toes into speakers...I like

JimP

p3.jpg

OK picked up a pair of Harbeth P3ES-2 locally at a decent price. Hooked up to my old Bryston B60R integrated (60wpc 8ohm) fed by 840c (spinning CDs and also fed optically by a macmini). I need to cook this in for awhile, but damn it sounds really nice. Listening to Beck/Sea Change now in nearfield mode. I'm really enjoying the freedom from headphone strapped to my head (of course, if I'm going to rock out with my ___ out, I still reach for the headphones so as not to disturb the household). I still have an Omega sat/sub system on order to mate with my Almarro flea power amp for a setup in a different room. I may be done with headphones -- keep 2 or 3, otherwise they're superfluous. (btw, the reason I'm not going monster he-man floor standing speakers is that living space in HK is tight, take your average room space in the US and divide by four...)

Harbeths are supposed to be good. Glad you like, and thanks for the impressions.

If you ever get the urge to try something else, you have to try something from the BBC LS3/5A lineage of speakers. And/or Quad 12L's. And I've actually managed to make mah Dynaudio Special 25's sound good in nearfield listening.

Congratulations Jim, the Harbeths are a very nice accurate monitor and Harbeth has more than enough models to help you upgrade through the audio chain and down the road to poverty. :) I spend more and more time when I can listening to my speaker systems, but there are always times for some good headphone listening. Don't give up on your cans until well after the honeymoon period with the speakers has run its course.

I am a firm believer in break/burn in for speakers so I would be interested if you notice any improvement or changes over the next three months.

Am I the only one to 'Click here to see boobies'? Uh, I did it twice. Anyway, I am very much enjoying these Harbeths. So much so nearfield, that I sold my K1000 (waiting for Dusty Chalk to go berserk on me). I'm still waiting for my Omega Super 5/Deep Hemp Cube subs for a separate application. For headphones, I still use HD650 and DT880-600ohm, but I've pretty much gone over to speakers.

Am I the only one to 'Click here to see boobies'? Uh, I did it twice. Anyway, I am very much enjoying these Harbeths. So much so nearfield, that I sold my K1000 (waiting for Dusty Chalk to go berserk on me). I'm still waiting for my Omega Super 5/Deep Hemp Cube subs for a separate application. For headphones, I still use HD650 and DT880-600ohm, but I've pretty much gone over to speakers.

That's my view on the K1000. It's a "speaker" for people that live in apartments, condos or otherwise can't play a regular speaker system. The K1000 gives a lot of the speaker experience without disturbing neighbors, family members, etc.

That's my view on the K1000. It's a "speaker" for people that live in apartments, condos or otherwise can't play a regular speaker system. The K1000 gives a lot of the speaker experience without disturbing neighbors, family members, etc.

Ahhhh welcome to the club. X2

(goes berserk on Jim P)

I knew it! (groveling in a bloody pulp now...)

Truth be told, one of the things I'm very sensitive to is comfort - I tried my best 'hairshirt' routine. I loved Grados (had PS-1, HHF-1, RS-1) but ultimately couldn't stand them on my head. I loved the K1000 even more but the temple pressure always bothered me. Maybe it's my head shape. So the headphones I'm keeping - HD650/HD580 and DT880-600ohm are the most comfortable, if not sonically the best. I don't have a lot of experience with speakers or nearfield application, so the Harbeths were a bit of a punt for me. With some extended listen now, I am very pleased, even at low to medium volume, the soundstage is holographic (and more natural than headphones??), and all the detail I appreciated with the headphones, is still there with the Harbeths. Don't want to sound like a Harbeth fanboy (I'm sure there are other speakers that deliver the goods), but this would rank as one of the most satisfying audio purchases I've made in a long time.

...the temple pressure always bothered me...
Yeah, I have to admit -- I doubt I'd wear it 8 hours a day.
...the soundstage is holographic (and more natural than headphones??)
Of course it is -- with music that was recorded for reproduction on speakers (I.E. most of it). The only exception would be binaurally recorded music, and that would have a more natural soundstage on headphones (vs. speakers), but that's the exception, not the rule.

For most of the music I listen to, soundstage is nonexistant -- neither headphone nor speaker -- so I don't care. Most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

OK my Omega Super 5's and Cube Hemp Sub have come in. I've hastily set them up, using some cheapo bookshelves as ad hoc speaker stands. My camera sucks but the finish is birdseye maple front and mahagony burl side/top. Only have them out of the box for few hours now, so can't comment on sound yet (but sounds very promising, quite disorientating that a single driver speaker can deliver this fulsome sound). My 4.5wpc 8ohm Almarro get's them plenty loud at 9 o'clock volume. Using cheap DVD player to Apogee miniDAC as source for now. Haven't had time to unpack the matching sub. The Super 5's are bigger than I anticipated, the Super Hemps must be huge in comparison.

Omega1.jpg

Omega2.jpg

• 6 months later...

Omega-1.jpg

Same stuff, but finally got around to setting up in new apartment. My aspiration to set up a proper 2-channel system in the living room is a no-go, with my 17 month old daughter now running around (what was I thinking buying this stuff?). However, the fall-back set-up in my den, in near field suboptimal arrangement (shown in photo**) sounds amazingly good. 80% of my listening is through this, and when I need a headphone fix, good old HD650 or HD580 single-ended through GS-1 is sufficient. The LDVI sitting on top for that last drop of balanced headphone experience or to nudge up the ambient temperature (as good as it sounds, it'll probably go sometime this year). My desk/computer is about 3-4 ft away from this setup, speaker single driver is about ear-level.

macmini-->optical out-->840c-->GS-1 as preamp*-->Almarro A205AmkII (4.5wpc)-->Omega Super 5 (custom side ported)

*did not intend to use as preamp, but works fantastic as preamp to give me precise and wide volume control with Almarro, the lack of which use to drive me crazy with this amp)

**camera flash makes it look like the left speaker grill is dented. weird

(My Leben CS300 + Harbeth P3ES will be set up in the bedroom, fed by Airport Express-->miniDAC as source. Not sure which I like better, will keep both systems for now).

I'm a bit surprised to hear the Omega's can hold their own against Harbeths. Unless I misinterpreted your post.

I'm prevented to set either up in a full-room set-up on proper stands, etc, so who knows which is better that way. In nearfield like the photo, I like the Omegas a bit more - more 'live' sounding if that makes any sense. (the piece that unlocked my enjoyment of the Omegas is the GS-1 as preamp - now I can make micro volume adjustments over a wide range, which is important sitting so close to the speakers).