4 pin xlr cable, one ground wire?

Guest troymadison

Guest troymadison

does it matter if I only use one ground wire for the speaker amp? It seems as if the xlr cable I bought combines the xlr ground I think. So I only have three wires total on a 4pin xlr

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest troymadison

Okay I fixed the problem, I Cracked open the female 4pix end connector with a sledgehammer. I wrapped another wire around the whole cable. Soldered the new wire. Wrapped the whole cable including the wire in electrical tape. Put banana plugs on the bare ends. Now enjoying the K1000 out of my speaker amp :)

The only thing that worries me is that I used some no-so-flexible silver wire while the rest of the wires are copper. Is this bad? I don't really plan on using the cable long term anyway (It is too long anyway, 15ft ) since I am getting other cables in the mail.

So yeah, this is my first custom diy cable! Yey!

Guest troymadison
Wait, what?

On one end I have the 4 pin xlr plug with 4 wires attached (3 original coppers, 1 added silver). On the other end I have banana plugs.

Guest troymadison
does it matter if I only use one ground wire for the speaker amp? It seems as if the xlr cable I bought combines the xlr ground I think. So I only have three wires total on a 4pin xlr

I got confused, forget about the comment about the ground wire, I thought that minus is the ground. Basically 3 wires were soldered to 3 pins, leaving one left unconnected.

Guest troymadison

It actually doesn't sound bad. I remember having to position the K1000 on a sweet spot to get perfect sound, otherwise it didn't sound good, so I can't blame the cable anymore

Guest troymadison

Update: The cable I made sounds exactly the same as all the other cables I tried (deepak's custom k1000 cable and anti-cable's k1000 cable)

Guest troymadison
considering your amp, I'm not surprised.

Actually, I am really happy with my amp. I thought the Gilmore Lite drove the k1000 almost good enough anyway. I used to have a source problem but that was fixed when I just used the entech 205.2 as my main.

Guest troymadison
I can't imagine the k1000 sounded good from a glite. You're just throwing away money to have 2 pairs of k1000s and no good amp.

What if the amp I have makes me think that the K1000 sounds perfectly fine? Why would I waste another $1000 on an amp to fix something that isn't even broken?