Grado SR60

ilikebananafudge

You'll find a pair of sr225s used more easily than sr60s, and they resell quickly. So they're almost no risk at all. And watch for a bit and you can generally find them for $150 with flats, or $140 without.

Edited by grawk

I second what grawk said. And just to reemphasize, try them with both flats and bowls if possible, as they change the sound dramatically. Flats are king IMO.

I agree with Jack that it would be good to try them out with flats and bowls. Also, as Grawk pointed out you can find the SR225 for $150 with flats. I do like the SR225 in the Grado lineup as well. Best of luck on your search.

If you need/want to save money, just do the good old nickel mod where you cut a hole the size of a nickel (quarter size could work too I believe) from the normal SR60 pads. Don't ask me how does that improve the SQ because I have forgotten, but I listened to the pair of a friend of mine and it wasn't bad. I'm pretty sure you can still find a thread on it somewhere else.

If you're starting out on the Grado sound, then the SR60 should be good enough but go with whatever you want. SR60 = Ultimate price : value.