Current production high-end caps

Dusty Chalk

So...Black Gate, no more, alas. I noticed in the current issue of AudioXpress that ModWright now has their own line of caps (pdf download). And there were, of course, others -- ClarityCap, Jantzen, Mundorf, Authenticaps (askjanfirst.com?), Auricap (of course). Are any of these any good? Considering how highly ModWright is thought of in the modded source market, I was wondering if anyone has tried their caps yet?

I've had vintage gear modified, and happened to have chosen black gates for it, and was quite happy with the results. Were I to do it again (and I probably will), what should be on my short list of caps to try?

There is also the old stand-bys -- Panasonic, etc. I'm sure there are some good values in there, too. Anyone know which ones the good ones are?

Auricaps are very good for output caps in the signal path.

For power rails and decoupling I doubt that boutique caps make much of a difference over a good quality electrolytic like Panasonic FC/FM or the higher end Nichicons.

x2

Multicap RTX , muse es/kz, FM, and those lovely paper in oils...

I use Multicap RTX and Relcap RTE (e.g. polystyrene). KS works great for audio, but it can't take high temperatures, so it _must_ be hand-soldered, and carefully so. Still, even something like the Multicap is a lot less expensive than something like PTFE, which I'm not entirely convinced is superior.

And Christ, these were in the _power supply_. Not to say they couldn't have an effect, but I'd really be shocked if he would have such consistent results if he were blinded.

Since there are polystyrene fans here, anyone have any opinion on the el-cheapo ($1 or less) polystyrene caps available from Parts Connexion?

And Christ, these were in the _power supply_. Not to say they couldn't have an effect, but I'd really be shocked if he would have such consistent results if he were blinded.

Since there are polystyrene fans here, anyone have any opinion on the el-cheapo ($1 or less) polystyrene caps available from Parts Connexion?

Not just in the power supply, but before the regulator...

And yeah, it sure seemed slanted towards the Elna Silmic II for 2nd place, wunnit?

Not sure what you mean...are you saying its not a biased test because Black Gates should have been #1 based on price? I'd say it's convenient that Elna Silmic II came in 1st, since the Black Gates are discontinued..