The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

i just got the rokinon lens in the mail and the focus confirmation light is going off when the subject is not actually in focus. the rokinon lenses are notorious for being incorrectly calibrated. how does one go about fixing this? or is it something that can be dealt with in the camera? the af micro adjustment only really works on af lenses. would a nikon service center be able to look at the combo and offer a solution? i had issues with the sigma lens back focusing also but it turned out to be the lenses fault. this lens also seems to have an issue with the focus. could something be off with the body?

Am I incorrect in thinking that it's just blurring parts of an image instead of so-called refocusing? The sensor on that thing is pretty damn small (typical P&S size, iirc) so DoF would be rather large.

Nope.

The camera focuses on multiple points at once. Really cool.

What is uncool is that it shoots a ~22mb RAW image, and only puts out 1080x1080pixel jpeg for printing.

Also, only goes to 35mm equivalent on the wide side sad.png Moar wider=moar better.

It looks like the software allows automatic focus stacking - could be really cool.

i just got the rokinon lens in the mail and the focus confirmation light is going off when the subject is not actually in focus. the rokinon lenses are notorious for being incorrectly calibrated. how does one go about fixing this? or is it something that can be dealt with in the camera? the af micro adjustment only really works on af lenses. would a nikon service center be able to look at the combo and offer a solution? i had issues with the sigma lens back focusing also but it turned out to be the lenses fault. this lens also seems to have an issue with the focus. could something be off with the body?

Which rokinon? I think you said 85F1.4 somewhere, but dont remember.

The little light up dot focus indicator on the consumer cameras is not selective enough for a fast & longish lens.

Put the camera on a tripod and see how far you can turn the focus with the dot lit. Its kind of disheartening.

You can get split image focus screens for digital cameras. Still not really easy, but IME more consistent than the electronic thingy in the consumer cameras.

Edited by nikongod

5D Mark III Full Spec List and new grip and flash

Unsurpassed Image Quality

22.3 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor

DiG!C 5+ Image Processor

ISO 100-25600 (expandable to L:50 H1:51200, H2: 102400

Full HD Movie (ISO 100-12800 (H:25600)

High Performance Operation

61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)

6.0 fps for high continuous shooting

Intelligent viewfinder with approx. 100% coverage

3.2-type, approx.1.04m dot (3:2 wide) Clear View LCD II

iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor

Shutter durability of 150,000 cycles

High end features

Silent & low vibration modes

Dual card slots (CF & SD)

High Dynamic Range (HDR) Mode

Multiple Exposures

Comparative Playback function

Improved durability & water and dust resistance

SPECIFICATIONS

Available Colours – Black

Megapixels – 22MP

Sensor Size – 36 x 24mm

ISO/Sensitivity – 100 – 25600

Autofocus Points – 61 points

Lens Mount – Canon

LCD Size – 3.2″

Liveview – Yes

Viewfinder – Optical TTL

Min Shutter Speed – 30 sec

Max Shutter Speed – 1/8000 sec

Continuous Shooting Speed – 6 fps

Self Timer – 10 sec, 2 sec

Metering – Centre-weighted, Spot, Evaluative, Partial

Video Resolution – Full HD 1080

Memory Type – Compact Flash

Connectivity – USB 2, HDMI, Mic Input, Wireless (optional)

Battery – LP-E6

Battery Type – Lithium-ion

Charger – Includes Li-Ion Charger

File Formats – AVI, RAW, H.264, MOV, MPEG-4

Dimensions – 152 x 116 x 76mm

Box Contents – Battery Pack LP-E6 .. Battery Charger LC-E6 .. AV Cable AVC-DC400ST .. Interface Cable IFC-200U .. Eyecup Eg .. Wide Strap EWEOS5DMKIII .. CR1616 Lithium Battery

5d3front.png

5d3back.png

5d3top.png

sctrip.jpg

&*%$! $3500+$629=$4129

And what's this: "the updated AF assist beam is compatible with Canon’s new 61-point High Density Reticular AF" (AF system for 5d mkiii). Doe that mean 580EX II will not be optimal with 5d mkiii or just bunch of marketing voodoo.

^#$#@! Just placed preorder on the body.

And what's this: "the updated AF assist beam is compatible with Canon’s new 61-point High Density Reticular AF" (AF system for 5d mkiii). Doe that mean 580EX II will not be optimal with 5d mkiii or just bunch of marketing voodoo.

^#$#@! Just placed preorder on the body.

The AF assist beam on 580EX II only covers up to 45 AF points. I'm assuming the new flagship flash's AF assist beam will cover all 61 AF points.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

I would not have thought so looking at those samples. Even with the NR cranked to 11 the grain is still pretty high. I did not immediately notice any of the normal shadow ISO banding in the sample though.

That being said, the color looks great on the samples, but they all seem soft to me. 7D level AA filter?

Anyone find anything about a dedicated Digic 4 for focus control like the 1Dx has?

I would not have thought so looking at those samples. Even with the NR cranked to 11 the grain is still pretty high. I did not immediately notice any of the normal shadow ISO banding in the sample though.

That being said, the color looks great on the samples, but they all seem soft to me. 7D level AA filter?

Anyone find anything about a dedicated Digic 4 for focus control like the 1Dx has?

I don't think there is a dedicated Digic 4 in 5D3. The Digic 4 in 1D X uses the new metering sensor to assist AF, that new 100,000 pixel RGB metering sensor is not on 5D3.

More low light 5D3 sample here

I don't think there is a dedicated Digic 4 in 5D3. The Digic 4 in 1D X uses the new metering sensor to assist AF, that new 100,000 pixel RGB metering sensor is not on 5D3.

More low light 5D3 sample here

It's incredible to me the performance they can get these days at ISO 25600, 51200. Also on the DigitalRev video, at the end there's a bunch of iso comparison shots of 5d mkiii vs. 5d mkii, and it looks like 5d mkiii pulls slightly ahead of mkii up to about 3200, but at 6400 and especially 12800 and beyond, mkiii completely kills mkii in iso performance, no comparison. But I presume much of the difference is due to in-camera jpeg processing, and I wonder how RAW comparison would look like.. Probably not as much difference.

6947976505_da8561abc3_z.jpg

5D2 25600 by MrMafoo, on Flickr

6947976281_523534b9de_z.jpg

5D3 25600 by MrMafoo, on Flickr

Edited by Jon L