The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

However, my question today is about tripods. I would like to get one but really don't know where to start. I know that you can buy crappy ones cheap and can pay a lot of money for a good/light ones. What kind of budget should I be looking at to get some decent (I don't have any super heavy big zoom lenses) and would like it to be light enough that I don't end up leaving it at home. Since I am only 5'2" I suppose I should probably take that into account. I assume it is better to get separate legs and head? Are there certain brands that are known to be better quality, or ones that are "overpriced", or ones that I should avoid?

I've been researching tripods myself for a while and have pretty much narrowed down to either the Manfrotto 190XPROB or Gitzo 1541T/1542T, at least for now. My initial budget for a tripod was up to $200 but after I found out about the Gitzo, I had to reconsider, because it does look pretty awesome. The only thing holding me back is the price for it along with a ballhead and camera plate. If you end up going for that Gitzo, apparently the best ballhead for it is the Markins Q3T (supposedly specifically designed for that Gitzo model) along with the appropriate plate for your DSLR. The Markins stuff ain't cheap unfortunately.

Other brands I've discovered through my Shutterbug subscription include: Really Right Stuff, Flashpoint, Vanguard, Induro, Benro, Giottos, and Slik. They all seem to be well-regarded brands. Too many tripod models to sort through between them all though. tongue.png

Edited by Asr

Really Big Cameras is great. It's really just a guy (Kerry). He is always very responsive. I had a minor issue with my PC40, the bubble levels fell out and got lost. He sent me new ones immediately with no charge, over a year after my purchase.

I would skip the Manfrotto tripods. They are overpriced and overly heavy for what they are. Benro/Induro are the best bargain, IMO, in terms of getting near Gitzo quality at a fraction of the price. If you buy them through ebay or another party who sells directly from China/HK, it is a much better deal, generally, than buying through a US importer/sales front.

Feisol looks very nice. I've never used/handled one, but they seem very promising, and I'd probably go that way for one of their biggest models, when I want to plunk down for a taller tripod than my current biggest one.

The Markins series is great, but Photoclam is the same design and build quality, at a lower price point. The PC36 would be a perfect fit for the smaller traveler-type tripods.

Tripods can definitely get very expensive very quickly. I honestly don't think Gitzo is necessary unless you are very tough on your gear, and even then, I'd probably rather buy an RRS tripod if I was really going to spend a ton.

BTW Carbon Fiber is definitely worth it. Between the better vibration damping, and weight/strength ratio, you can get buy with a smaller tripod than you can in aluminum to do the same job (height issues notwithstanding).

Kirk and RRS are about the same in terms of plates. RRS might be a tad more solid.

If you are taking macros, I assume you will be switching between portrait and landscape a lot, so you probably should get an L-plate. That being said, they are pretty heavy, and the photoclam head tilts 90 degrees (although not with a lot of freedom and not past 90).

IMO, for macro, you should get one.

For travel, a regular plate will do.

Edited by falkon

When it is a process that involves tactile feedback (like lens polishing) it's pretty much a done deal that by hand is still the way to go (or at least that's my understanding).

here are a lot of things where humans are just better and there are a lot more where they are not...

Edited by Dreadhead

About plates. Photoclam uses the Arca-style quick release system, right? Do you think it is worth it to get an L-plate? Kirk and RRS seem to be the plates that are most often recommended. RRS doesn't seem to have a custom fitted non-L bracket for the D90, Kirk does.

I use a Kirk L-plate. No complaints, other than the cost of one hunk of machined aluminum.

Holy crap. S95 is in my hands. Fricken NewEgg with their insanely fast shipping. Fricken UPS guy with his stealthy truck (WTF?) and lack-of-door-knock. The box sat outside in the rain for God-knows-how-many hours today. It's been pouring here all week. Miraculously, the plastic bag they put it in kept the box completely dry. The battery is charging now. The camera itself is tiny. It's footprint is smaller than my Blackberry. I'm definitely going to need to get that third party rubber grip. Anyone have a link to that handy?

KD what are your impressions on the s95? I'm still torn between it an the SD4000is and having a hard time justifying the extra $115 or so for the ISO performance and slight increase in image quality. Otherwise the two of them spec out to pretty much identical numbers etc.

want to get the s95 but I can't bring myself to do it. My wife is probably going to end up making the decision for me, as it will be her camera anyway.

Edited by Dreadhead

Yeah. I thought that too but looking at the example picture comparisons at ISO 1600 on dpreview there really isn't that much difference (very surprisingly to me) unless I'm really cropping:

http://www.dpreview....000is/page8.asp

I also found this comparison of the two:

http://www.cameralab...S/verdict.shtml

After talking it over with my wife were going to go with the one with faster turn on time, better automatic, and higher shot rate: the SD4000. I'd love to get the S95 with the manual focus ring and kick ass review screen but I have a DSLR for that. I think we (and more importantly she) will be very happy.

Edited by Dreadhead