The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Well, crap. My S95's LCD has three rather large gold color spots in it. I suspect they are manufacturing defects. At first I thought maybe I could live with them, but they're very distracting when composing a shot in low available light. Fortunately, I bought the camera from NewEgg, so returning it should not be a problem.

Great choice, at a great price also. Honestly, I doubt anyone could tell the difference in IQ between the Tokina and Canon/Nikon 100-105mm options in real life shots.

With the VR you can but otherwise you're probably right

The SD4000IS arrived yesterday and man it is tiny. It turns on super fast, the low light performance is excellent (better than my D200) and screen looks great. The super slow motion movies are fun too. Very happy so far but no use in "real life".

Edited by Dreadhead

Answering here as it's more appropriate.

I've been looking for a point and shoot. I was intrigued by the Nikon P300 but decided its noise reduction/sharpening was overcooked. So back to square one. How is the S95? Apart from being broken, that is.

TBH, I didn't have it in my possession long enough to get to know it. Things I liked: 20mm equivalent FoV and F/2. Two physical control dials. Really nice LCD (in spite of the defects). I wasn't overly wowed by the dynamic range, even for digital. Likewise, I'm unsure that a sensor as small as the S95's needs to be 10MP.

I haven't posted too many shots I took with the S95, so I don't have too many example images.

6139726148_d7fbcb007c_b.jpg

F/2, 1/13th, ISO1600.

http://www.dpreview....00announced.asp

S100

Digic 5!

Also IS and a grip.

I'm confused by that article sine the photo of the camera shows Lens that's labelled 5.2-26mm 1:2.0-5.9, but the text of article keeps talking about a "24mm f/2" lens..

At any rate, the sensor size is not any larger than S95, and I do think the age of Sony NEX is really blooming now with the NEX 5n and 7, with the nice APS-C sensor.

Got a hunk of RRS metal yesterday and the Tokina lens today. I am glad I splurged on the RRS L-plate, it is really nice to have such a perfect fit. Tried a little macro shooting today, after I figured out how to use the lens. I was just shooting in the front yard, nothing interesting. Tried taking some hand held macro shots (with manual) and I just couldn't get anything. Then I tried with my cheap plastic $30 tripod and it was better but still not great. Cannot wait until the tripod shows up! I can see how the VR would be helpful (although it probably doesn't help enough if you are doing really close up shots). The Tokina seems really well built and even survived UPS (although the B&H box did not). It doesn't make nearly as much noise or hunt as much as the reviews would lead you to believe.

Slight backstory:

I'm getting back into shooting 35mm film. I think.

Today I bought a used 35mm film-scanner off of craigslist to scan a bunch of old negatives (I have about 1500 B&W negatives I shot when I was 17-22, and a whole bunch of color negatives from before that) and to scan new 35mm film that I shoot.

Its DOA. I'm bummed.

Slight backstory:

I'm getting back into shooting 35mm film. I think.

Today I bought a used 35mm film-scanner off of craigslist to scan a bunch of old negatives (I have about 1500 B&W negatives I shot when I was 17-22, and a whole bunch of color negatives from before that) and to scan new 35mm film that I shoot.

Its DOA. I'm bummed.

Not sure how practical or useful is this, but worth a try if you have a macro lens

been in this hobby for 6 months. this is sure a complicated yet quite exciting hobby......

here are some of my work so far (any critics/comments are welcome):

6159687716_21afcca568.jpg

City Center Entrance Las Vegas - HDR by ruetamA Images, on Flickr

6159685082_a02e4f8024.jpg

Bellagio - Las Vegas by ruetamA Images, on Flickr

6159684230_46b5d97f0d.jpg

Butterfly @T3 - Changi by ruetamA Images, on Flickr

6159141841_ba49e97f66.jpg

McCarran International Las Vegas by ruetamA Images, on Flickr

6159679472_fa04d43040.jpg

McCarran International Las Vegas by ruetamA Images, on Flickr

6159679060_5675830d5d.jpg

Star Trail @ Red Rock, Las Vegas - Nevada by ruetamA Images, on Flickr

6159678628_8c9f4c27de.jpg

Lady In The Wind - Upper Antelope Canyon by ruetamA Images, on Flickr

Really nice stuff there, forbigger. I do wish you'd posted bigger size images to the thread, though. Flickr gives you an option to post a larger image in the "share" drop down.

6123187182_38da775891_b.jpg

A kiss on the dancefloor. This is probably the best shot I took at a huge gig I worked last month.

6101402175_f5ba445f4e_b.jpg

DJ gig in hell, apparently.

6162899603_bd084bfe74_b.jpg

Not the most amazing shot in the world, but it does show off the insane sharpness of the EOS 5D and EF 35mm F/2.

6163321154_55266b4df4_b.jpg

Bourbon makes everything a bit blurry