calorie counting

No, the way you're describing it sounds like it's going too far.

I mean, don't get me wrong, when I say you need to match your consumption with your exertion, the obvious way to do that is to increase your exertion -- I.E. get some exercise. And also to eat more balancedly.

But 800 calories is ridiculous -- even Weight Watchers will tell you not to go overboard like that.

I mean, these blind numbers like "1500 calories to maintain your weight" is ridiculous. How much exercise are you getting with that diet? And don't try and tell me it doesn't matter, 'cause it does. Someone who's sedentary and gets no exercise will have different dietary requirements than someone who walks three times a week will have different dietary requirements than Michael Phelps, who basically exercises non-stop, so his dietary requirements are fairly high.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the way you're describing it sounds like it's going too far.

I mean, don't get me wrong, when I say you need to match your consumption with your exertion, the obvious way to do that is to increase your exertion -- I.E. get some exercise. And also to eat more balancedly.

But 800 calories is ridiculous -- even Weight Watchers will tell you not to go overboard like that.

I mean, these blind numbers like "1500 calories to maintain your weight" is ridiculous. How much exercise are you getting with that diet? And don't try and tell me it doesn't matter, 'cause it does. Someone who's sedentary and gets no exercise will have different dietary requirements than someone who walks three times a week will have different dietary requirements than Michael Phelps, who basically exercises non-stop, so his dietary requirements are fairly high.

No shit sherlock, I'm just giving overall average numbers here. And I can guarantee you that most of us here in this thread are pretty sedentary. If you exercise you'll need to eat more, duh. But if the goal is to lose weight, diet wins over exercise every time. Diet and lose weight first, then exercise. But above all, get a full blood work panel done. Not everyone is the same, and you might need to diet differently. You can actually be a fat fucker, but have awesome bloodwork, or be barely overweight (I am right now) and have shitty bloodwork. Body Mass Index (BMI) plays a very important factor in factoring a person's ideal calorie intake. If you're a 7 foot tall freak, you're going to probably need more calories than a 4 foot midget.

Anyways, I guess I misinterpreted the title of this thread. Let's count how much we're eating and not actually pay attention, do any other research other than getting the opinion of one health care monkey.

My daily calorie intake is pretty low, and I don't lead a very active Michael Phelps lifestyle. I'm averaging about 1500 calories per day these days, and it's pretty much maintaining my current weight overall. If I ratchet down to 1000, I start to lose weight at a decent rate. But as any true dieting it fucking sucks.

Seriously, guys if you are really serious about losing weight, at the very least cut the alcohol out of your diet for like a week. It's a lot of calories that goes right into weight gain. Yeah, we all like to drink in this forum (I sure do), but just try it for a little bit and you might be surprised at the difference it makes by itself.

And for fucksake, get your blood drawn and have a panel done to analyze it if you haven't already done it. It's an essential starting point of any true diet, with a good peek at your current health condition.

Otherwise, just go back to stuffing your faces, bitches.

Later.

Maybe if your a 5 fucking foot asian you can get away with 800 calories.

Leaving weight out of it, a bigger person needs more incoming energy. It's a bit more difficult than simply saying oh yeah: eat 800 calories or you are a fat fuck.

Lifestyle comes into play as well. Sure nowadays I spend a lot of time at a desk, I don't need to eat as much as when I used to spend 8 hours chopping wood. I'm pretty sure I'd have serious health concerns if I ate 800 calories, and did physical labor all day. Nevermind that even at the lifestyle I live now, 800 would definitely not be safe.

Here's to waiting out the drunking fucking mess that is Edwood's bi yearly Head-Case posting tirade. At least Aerius stays out of the majority of our threads.

No man, if you're really serious about losing weight you should strand yourself in the mountains with no food for a few weeks. Another option is to drink disease infested groundwater in 3rd world countries to catch a bad stomach & intestinal virus so you end up purging bile & blood from both ends, then you can enjoy a nice long hospital stay hooked up to an IV drip. Guaranteed to take at least 25% off your body weight or your money back.

ed, at some point, i'm not sure exactly when, you stopped being an amusing asshole and instead became an aggressive shithead. maybe you should go away again, and, before your next inevitable return, think a little bit about why exactly you visit this forum. we already have aerius, and he's much better at this whole routine than you are.

Can't I be an amusing shithead? Or an aggressive asshole?

• 2 weeks later...

I was making good progress before, recently slowed a bit. Might be going out to eat a bit much. Don't know when I started eating less/semi more healthy, but I got considerably more serious in the last month or so. I've dropped maybe 35-40 lbs now. Sounds great, but that's just how outa shape I am, and I've still got a ways to go. I think I might start trying to keep track of the calories, might help me become more efficient with choosing the right items to eat.

Cutting out the amount of rice/noodles I eat has helped me a lot. If i do eat more than I should, I try to keep it on the dishes, rather than the pure carbs.

Upped the amount of fruit/veges I take this past week, however I need to cut back a bit in other areas, or the fruits/veges will just become a way to cheat and eat more. Ruined a banana today =/ I like em cold, meant to throw it in the freezer for liek 5 minutes, but I lost track of time. Took it out to thaw, became uber soggy. FAIL.

Anyone reading this thread from NYC? Is that new calorie posting law effective at all these days in changing what and how much you eat when you eat out?

Finding the postings on the calories is like playing where's waldo coupled with needle in the haystack. I hadn't seen a single one, when I was there last week. I'll keep an eye out this week too.

Anyone reading this thread from NYC? Is that new calorie posting law effective at all these days in changing what and how much you eat when you eat out?

Yea. While I was waiting on line to go to the Tourneau sale a few weeks back, I stopped by the McDonalds on 34th and 8th to use the bathroom. Feeling bad that I used the bathroom without buying anything, I bought a hashbrown and a sweet tea. Seeing that the hashbrown was 300 calories, I ended up splitting it with a friend of mine. I remember the days when I used to eat 2 at a time...

If tou really want to lose weight, the total calorie count needs to be much lower. Between 800-1000 calories. But at that level you need doctor supervision. That's basically the threshold between starvation and ineffective diet. Oh, and dieting trumps exercise every time. Lose the weight first, then exercise.

Oh, BTW, this will be a major buzz kill, but Alcohol kills diets, as it's not metabolized like regular food and drinks, it pretty much goes straight to body fat. Similar to how high fructose corn syrup in soft drinks is not metabolized as well.

Everyone is right here, its not healthy to have less then 1200 at minimum as an adult male sedentary or not. It kills your metabolism and you just store fat and dissolve your muscle. I'm also not sure you all are doing calorie counting correctly. Its not just calories, but what type and other factors. (saturated fat, fat, protein, carbs, sodium, fiber)

Getting the right ratio is just as important as how much you eat, don't want you digesting your muscles or organs to get what your body needs. Sometimes when you slow down, its better to actually eat MORE calories as you've gone too low and your metabolism has matched your calorie intake. Exercise is what keeps it up, so you absolutely must include it, sorry it doesn't work any other way IMO. Water should be your best friend, drink as much as you can comfortably handle (cut back if you get headaches or can't make it to the bathroom). It burns calories for your body to process the water, staves off hunger, plus helps with a healthy appearance. Getting too many carbs in your diet and not enough protein causes your hunger to quickly return as well. I've lost over 100 pounds before and can tell you that its not healthy to continuously lose more then two pounds a week for your body. Those recommended diets at checkout counters, either don't work or cause irreversable damage often times. My best advice is to go visit that nutritionalist, many areas even will provide cheap/free services.

after counting calories for about two weeks i got lazy and reverted a bit to my old habits, but still worked on keeping myself in check. over the course of those two weeks i lost about five pounds and felt i hit a little wall. so now instead of strictly counting calories i'm also drinking green smoothies and i not only feel absolutely amazing, but it has reduced my appetite and craving for unhealthy food. i've been eating exceedingly healthy, drastically cut down on booze, guess i am keeping my daily calories between 1100 to 1400, and drinking a few 10 to 12 oz green smoothies per day. just over a week of doing this i have lost four pounds. in addition, i am drinking a lot of water and quality herbal teas plus taking a few tablespoons a day of Udo's oil blend 3-6-9.

I drink alot of water and just cut back on the quantity that I eat. I also try to stick with better carbs (wheat over white bread) and "good" fats and what not. Weekends kill me though, lol.

Sometimes splurges can be helpful as long as they are reasonable, as long as its reasonable, for example once or twice and you can keep it from constantly tempting you throughout the week. Sometimes eating "dirty", for example once a week, to shock the metabolism to keep it out of starvation mode if it starts to drop is actually common. The problem is when you give up on exercising and start slowly sliding back into old habits. Its a lifetime commitment and has to be if you don't want to backslide. :( This is one of the main reasons why drugs are not a good alternative for weight-loss, not healthy and pretty much a guaranteed back-slide once you obtain your goal and have to quit them.

Those complex carbs from things such as whole wheat (hard to tell if its grain or just processed wheat often times) are much better then the simple carbs that just go straight into typically unused energy with little calories burned to process them. Fish and vegetables are great diet suppliments (as long as your not pregnant and can get them fresh to avoid the enormous amount of sodium) because of that fish oil providing healthy fat and all of the great suppliments in vegetables, plus they really do taste great IMO. I also would recommend something like yoplait lite yogurt and "fiber one" cereal mixed together for breakfast which will provide most of the fiber you need daily and also tastes much better then expected (good actually). Staying away from the dark meats is good advice, you also can find some extremely lean ground beef in most stores. Keeping with chicken or fish helps me with my constant weight struggle.

Its really easy just to say its not worth it, but the ease of mind and good feelings you can get from a healthy diet and exercise is priceless for me. Also would recommend you don't buy clothes which are too small or exercise gear pretending that the money wasted will give you motivation. Often, it just makes you more self-concious and your plan suffers. I hate my cravings for comfort foods and urge to use my time for things I consider more important then exercise or going out of my way for healthier food. I still can't do straight egg whites or avoid eating out with my life style. Chick-fil-a has the healthiest grilled chicken sandwich ever possibly.