calorie counting

yesterday's intake...

food

breakfast: steel cut irish oatmeal (150)

coffee (2)

lunch: zone cedarlane (300)

dinner: cpk waldorf salad with balsamic dressing (675) & tomato basil bisque (250)

late snack: almonds (150)

beverages

water: 8 large glasses

one glass of red wine (90)

total calories: 1,617

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i started about two weeks ago, just counting calories and trying to keep it under 2,000 calories for the first few days and now under 1,700 per day. plus eating as close to the zone diet as possible because i had the best results with that before i got married -- lost like 30 pounds in a month before the wedding. i've already dropped about ten pounds and have been keeping a calorie journal, which really keeps me in check.

it's amazing to think about how many calories i could easily consume on any given day, probably in the low 3,000, before i seriously started considering the calories.

I've gotta' start...again. I've put on a bunch since I've moved to Mississippi (fattest, most unhealthy state in the US and A) The mover broke all of our exercise gear among other things. Really nice stuff. The equivilant of an Audio Aero Capitole(can't get it out of my mind.) Wow, Jacob and 909 great job (and who knows what's up in previous posts I didn't see?) You guys motivate me to do great things...After tomorrow and my birthday cake and ice cream and then Saturday too, 'cause it Mick Jagger's birthday...anyone know anyone famous born on Sunday?...no, I'm RESOLUTE!

I need to pick it up again too. Problem is I don't feel like driving to get lunch during the day, (traffic & gas $) and the vending machine at the office is full of sugar and bullshit. Expensive sugar and bullshit. And I dont cook :D

I'm thinking of getting a mini fridge for my office, so I can keep some milk there for cereal. But there's too much stuff to buy thats a lot more entertaining.:rolleyes:

I've actually done really well on Weight Watchers and believe or not, the meetings are very effective and fun. I lived many different places and I never run into a group leader who wasn't very skilled and also a lot of fun. It's easier that counting calories and more sophisticated. You can also do it online without going to meetings...So why am I so fat?

2-3 pounds a week is where i've been. i've also increased my exercise (mostly walking: instead of taking the campus shuttle home 3 nights a week, i walk home, which is a brisk 30 minutes, mostly up a moderate grade).

I've found the long walk to work (about 20-25 minutes) helped maintain my weight at the least.

binge and purge, man, binge and purge.

at the end of the day, calories are the most important part of weight loss. that which is not consumed cannot be digested.

I disagree a bit here. While I agree eating less will make you lose weight (cal in cal out), I also strongly believe what we eat affects this as well. In short, I stick to the edges of my supermarket and avoid just about anything in the middle. Lots of fresh vegetables, meat, eggs. Avoiding sugar and white carbs (flour). For snacks I usually do peanuts, but lately I've been cutting out snacking (because I'm not hungry between meals as much anymore). The only fluids I take in are water, mineral water, and coffee. Avoiding as best I can anything processed in favor of "food".

Working just the edges of the supermarket for just the past three months, I've lost close to 30 pounds. Zero exercise. I am going to start exercising once I hit 200 lbs, and start incorporating fruits into my diet as well.

I'm also a supplement taker, but I'm not sure if I'm a supplement believer yet. Regardless, I take a multi with no iron, CoQ-10 enzyme, b complex, fish oil, chromium piccolinate, and l-carnitine,.

I only started reading this book a couple weeks ago, but he does a pretty good job of summing up what I've been doing the past few months, and plan on doing from here on out:

Amazon.com: In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto: Michael Pollan: Books

I was able to lose a few lbs and keep it off ever since I just cut fast food and sugared drinks out of my diet (about 4 years ago). I've been able to keep my weight pretty stable since then and work out regularly (powerlift 3 days a week, cardio here and there). I keep my diet fairly balanced a majority of the time, but also allow myself to "cheat" here and there. Once you make it a part of your lifestyle instead of a "diet" or "hitting the gym", it's like clockwork.

yesterday's intake...

food

breakfast: zone cedarlane -- cheese omelette (350)

coffee (2)

lunch: zone cedarlane -- cheese and vegatable Enchiladas (300)

dinner: burrito bowl (no rice) (700) & chips and guacamole (200)

snacks: almonds & peanut butter (175)

beverages

water: 8 large glasses

tequila: one shot (90)

total calories: 1,817

• 1 month later...

If tou really want to lose weight, the total calorie count needs to be much lower. Between 800-1000 calories. But at that level you need doctor supervision. That's basically the threshold between starvation and ineffective diet. Oh, and dieting trumps exercise every time. Lose the weight first, then exercise.

Oh, BTW, this will be a major buzz kill, but Alcohol kills diets, as it's not metabolized like regular food and drinks, it pretty much goes straight to body fat. Similar to how high fructose corn syrup in soft drinks is not metabolized as well.

oh, thank you Dr. Wood. i guess i should stop consulting the nutrititionist at the hospital i work at and start asking you for advice.

That's because they're lazy and legally liable if you develop any medical complications from dieting, which if you are medically obese, can have many many medical complications, like heart conditions, and potassium deficiency in particular. They tell you 1500 calories because it's a safe level, but you will never lose significant weight. 1500 calories is what you need to eat to Maintain your current weight.

You're getting your blood drawn and panel done on a regular basis, right?

Around 1500 is what you should shoot for on a diet. 1000 is very unhealthy and you'll need supervision to do it. I wouldn't recommend it.

Note that I said "Medically Supervised" before.

Incorrect. If you starve your body, it automatically tries to store the calories as fat. You need to match your consumption to your exertion.

Note that I said "on the threshold" of starvation.

Look, you fat fucks can justify it all in your heads, but if you're serious about losing weight, shop around more. There is no secret to real weight loss. If you want to lose it faster, you have to eat less. But you have to be careful not to go past that threshold. But really, it's pretty difficult to do that unless you're anorexic. Real dieting fucking sucks balls.