New amp for AKG k701

Hello, first post here!

I'm having big problems finding a new amp and dac for my k701s. I was interested in the Corda Opera because it had both an amp and a dac, plus it's sold inside EU wich make it more worthwile (i.e. wont be forced to pay 25% extra at the customs). Alas I read the thread here we you brutaly murdered the corda opera, so what's the alternatives around ~$1500 for and amp/dac or amp + dac? At the moment I only use my k701 but I'm planning on getting another pair of headphones, maybe Grado or something different from AKG. My source is an iMac via optical out, so it'd be good if the DAC had a toslink connection.

SS or tube doesn't matter to me. I'd appreciate any suggestion, I'm feeling kind of confused right now! I went from thinking a Woo 6 + keces 131 would be a great setup, to the Meier Corda Opera to where I am now: at square zero!

Please help me! Many thanks.

I'm betting you didn't read a single thread here before posting this...

Actually, I browsed back all 15 pages to 2006 and read all threads which seemed relevant. Then I did a couple of searches, and then I decided to post as I wanted some names to continue to read up on. I'm sorry if you think this thread is superfluous.

And I did write I read about Corda opera on this board, so why the hostility? There's alot of similiar newbie threads (but with different questions) who've gotten good answers. Therefore I figured it was okay to post.

Given the wide open and extremely vague nature of your question I stand by my analysis. And there wasn't any hostility, granted I didn't give you a warm welcome but I just stated a disappointed observation.

So here we go again - every time one of these threads gets started we fire back the same questions.

What have you heard before that you liked? What about it did you like? What genre of music do you prefer? What's your budget? etc. etc. etc. etc...

What have you heard before that you liked? What about it did you like? What genre of music do you prefer? What's your budget? etc. etc. etc. etc...

I see what you mean. My intention was to hear what kind of combinations other people like given my budget ~$1500, I should have been more clear about that. So it's really a question about what you people like, not really what you best think suits my needs. I'm just looking for inspiration. Maybe that's vague too. I don't know. But I figured if somebody like the sound of their k701s with a setup around $1500 that be worth looking into in my own journey. If they like the signature of k701 that person can't be too far off of what I like. Maybe I'm very wrong, tho. May taste isn't as fixed as someone who've been through alot of different setups, so hence I'm open to many different suggestions.

What does it matter what I like? Do you know enough about me to know whether or not that will translate into something that you like? See the root of the problem is that in the end it only really matters what you like. It's not so much that it's vague, only that you're headed in the wrong direction and I'm trying to steer you back.

So it's really a question about what you people like, not really what you best think suits my needs.

Feh... if you want to participate, bring something to the table.

Nate asked you

If you can't take the time to even attempt to answer the above why the hell should anyone here bother to answer your question? If you don't want to approach this intelligently, go elsewhere.

The Opera is shitty. It is horribly thin sounding as are all his amps for me and the DAC is nothing special at all.

1500 dollars huh. I'd get the pico when it comes out as a DAC only unit with rca outputs. Or a 90s DAC from a solid builder (Assemblage/Transdac/blah blah). Or a Apogee Duet which a lot of people seem to like (I haven't heard it myself but a lot of people I vaguely trust seem to like it) though I think you need a Mac to use it.

All that stuff listed above is between 300-500ish.

For amp I'd get a dynahi, beta22 (2 channel, none that silly 3 channel business), Headamp GS-1, hrm yeah I don't think eddie current really has anything in the ~1k price range right now and fuck it I still like Singlepower (But practically NO one else here does) so I'll recommend a used Extreme as well.

It is horribly thin sounding.

Agree.

I still like Singlepower (But practically NO one else here does) so I'll recommend a used Extreme as well.

I still do too, though I'd highly recommend one buy used until Mikhail demonstrates that he can give and meet realistic finish dates. The Extreme is good and I'd recommend either a PPX3 Slam or MPX3 Slam. You'll need the Slam versions to power the 701s.

Note: I heavily edited the quotes of Icarium's original post.

I wasn't trying to challenge anyone with my question, I was just curious. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 channel sounded the same as a 3 channel. I've heard balanced amps that sound exactly like their SE counterpart only louder, so nothing is shocking.

I forget the specifics but it was like there's stuff in the amp that already is supposed to give the same benefits as what that third channel gives and the stuff that's already there already does a well documented good job of whatever that benefit is (I want to say noise rejection or something I forget though)... while the jury is still a bit out on the 3rd channel so why bother?

I wasn't trying to challenge anyone with my question, I was just curious. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 channel sounded the same as a 3 channel. I've heard balanced amps that sound exactly like their SE counterpart only louder, so nothing is shocking.

Yeah I mean I've only really noticed a really noticeable difference with HD650s and not much else... but there are also well documented benefits to a balanced design. The only question is whether or not these benefits are audible or not...

Also to Abaddon... even if 3 channel shit is legit it doesn't change the fact that the Opera sounds kind of like overpriced ass.

I dont even remember if it was noise rejection, was it?

Anyway, I'm not trying to definitively say 3 channel is bullshit. I don't know enough about anything to really say. But I'm certainly skeptical and don't feel the need to invest so that's going to be reflected in my recommendations. If you believe in it that's fine ;p Just get 3 channel versions of them. Either way even if the technology is a benefit it isn't good enough to change a shitty 2 channel amp into a badass 3 channel amp. Case in point the Opera, the Opera has a 3 channel topology and it's still shitty. I've heard 2 channel and 3 channel Beta22s and they both sounded good. The 3 channel version did not sound all that different to me.

You should get a balanced beta22 preamping two b24's as monoblocks then your 701 will finally be driven properly and you dont have to burn in either because its just so powerful like an elephant and they are good for war because you ride on them and it owns people but beware of little shits that may scare it like a rat and you can think of a headamp pico as the rat but then you can get rat poision- like a ray samuels audio emmeline sr-71 because

the SR-71 is the portable equivalent of a class-A power amp.
so there you have it buy a sr-71 and you get an elephant that kills rats.

I had an Opera for a while and the K701 did sound a bit thin with it. I wouldn't say that it sounded bad though. I didn't really use the DAC much as I liked the sound of my E-MU 1212m sound card better at that time. You probably want to try auditioning it first.

Currently I'm using the K701 balanced out of a B22 and it does have much more weight and warmth to it.