Little Dot MkVI balanced tube amp?

Hopstretch

I know they don't get many (any?) mentions over here and this will probably mark me as irretrievably jejeune -- but, for the money, I've been pretty happy with the Little Dot MkIVse I picked up used on HF.

Anyway, their new balanced tube amp is apparently now available at a fairly tempting $724 shipped to the U.S. and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the basic design? Haven't been able to locate any specs, though they explicitly say it was designed to be able to drive K1000s. Any idea what the driver tubes might be?

200885227424.jpg

200885227420.jpg

Pity about the gold tube sockets, but what are you gonna do?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries, I can't find it either but I know there was some information posted at some point.

I have several questions/concerns about the design of that thing and the chassis that they have it shoe horned into. At first blush it's pretty similar to the Menace but with double the output tubes which means that they've got a lot of heat to deal with in a really small space. As it is just the heaters for the output tubes are dissipating 60W. And if they were trying to get the specs similar to Pete's HA-2 there's a ton of heat generated by the cathode resistors and I don't see anything near big enough to deal with that. Hell, on the Menace I had to use 50W power resistors and external heatsinks to keep things in line.

• 2 weeks later...
New. Custom. Title.

:palm:

I do feel bad for them. Their US agent is as nice a guy as you could hope to meet and they were really, really good about a resistor issue with the MkIVse that affected me and a few other owners on HF. No fuss, took it straight back and sent me a new one -- and I was the third owner of that particular unit and said so.

This looks like last-minute panic after a few early-production models went up in smoke. The designer was saying on their forum quite recently that it would be passive-cooled only.