New Automatic Coffee Maker

The Monkey

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using the simplest and least complex Braun ADP for some years. It's got simple design, brews at the right temperature, has a carafe lid that seems to prevent evaporation, and a changeable charcoal water filter. SWMBO has so far been unable to break it. With an alarm clock (to wake you up to grind the beans with your burr grinder from their jar in your freezer) it should serve you purposes. If you let even the best coffee sit out overnight ground in the filter, you're going to miss out on a lot of the aromatic oils you paid for.

With an alarm clock (to wake you up to grind the beans with your burr grinder from their jar in your freezer) it should serve you purposes. If you let even the best coffee sit out overnight ground in the filter, you're going to miss out on a lot of the aromatic oils you paid for.

I always heard that it was bad to freeze your coffee. Not so?

Agreed. I've always been told that a air-tight container at room temp was best unless your not going to drink the coffee for weeks. If that's the case freezing is ok provided that you use a moisture sealed container. Of course I don't do either given my simple palate.

You're all right. Freezing whole roasted coffee beans is the best way to preserve the volatile oils that are coffee flavor and aroma goodness. But you have to freeze them in airtight containers or the freezing process (or, even worse, the automatic freezer defrost cycle) dries them out.

I blend my own coffee in eight or nine pound batches of roasted beans these days. I've roasted my own beans in the past, but could only do that outside in the past what with the smoke detectors. So I do my mix in a dedicated five gallon bucket and then freeze the beans double bagged in gallon zipper top bags (your choice of brand). I keep the coffee beans to be brewed in a one quart Dansk snap top jar in the upstairs freezer and measure the frozen beans into my burr grinder right before brewing.

I've learned that when you grind frozen beans ther's a lot of static charge formed and if you don't let the ground beans sit for a couple of minutes in your grinder's ground coffee receptacle until the static dissapates, the freshly ground coffee can explode out with the static charge.

There are as many differences of opinion about coffee as there are about audio, but this is the stuff that has worked for me.

I've had my Nespresso Essenza & Aeroccino for about eight months now.

You make cappuccino and espresso. That's about all its worth, IMO. No "god cup" here (as defined by coffeegeeks.com). But close, I guess. Very consistent and simple and fast (and a bit noisy).

The capsules must be ordered from Nespresso. Easy as pie to order and very prompt delivery. The two types I have found worthwhile are the Decaffeinato Intenso and the Ristretto.

Here's a two-shot cappuccino made by your's truly:

cappo.jpg

^^^

I hear you. Just throwing this out there. :) But maybe for the OP or other's who don't want to ritualize coffee, this works pretty well and tastes better than what you'd get at starbucks.

My emphasis has been on tea as of late--I actually weigh it out on a gram scale (with some teas it looks like I'm dealing pot). Last week I got a Water heater, dispenser for work. I measured the hot-water in the office kitchen and it came up a wussy 165F-168F.

Now I don't have to get up to brew tea. No wonder I'm wired.

All people I know, who have this NESPRESSO thing, are very happy with it. The most comment they have, its damn easy, fast & no mess after, while you get decent, or for some folks GREAT cup of coffee...:cool:

And, you can always try it, before you buy this thing. Up here, in Holland, you can take a bite in their coffee corner, which is great, imo, so it would be no surprise like, what the hell I just got.

^^^

I hear you. Just throwing this out there. :) But maybe for the OP or other's who don't want to ritualize coffee, this works pretty well and tastes better than what you'd get at starbucks.

My emphasis has been on tea as of late--I actually weigh it out on a gram scale (with some teas it looks like I'm dealing pot). Last week I got a Water heater, dispenser for work. I measured the hot-water in the office kitchen and it came up a wussy 165F-168F.

Now I don't have to get up to brew tea. No wonder I'm wired.

Which water heater did you get? I've been looking something for my office to brew tea.

They make a 2-liter one; but it doesn't allow for adjustable temperatures. Otherwise that would have been fine for work.

I also got several of the cleaner/de-scale packets Z sells. I should try it out on the one at home; it's been eight months after all.

And, come to think of it, I should also de-scale my Nespresso.

Yea, I saw the 180-190-ish temps recommended. I could simply dispense water out of my 'z'.

Grinding is another story. Consensus on coffeegeeks is a uniform course grind is essential for non-residue french press. One of these day's I'll invest in a decent burr grinder.