moth si2a3/45h

recstar24

I figured I would start a thread on the above amp I just picked up. A real beauty and sounds gorgeous.

recstar24-albums-moth-si2a3-45h-picture196-moth-2a345h.jpg

recstar24-albums-moth-si2a3-45h-picture197-moth-2a345h2.jpg

recstar24-albums-moth-si2a3-45h-picture198-moth-2a345h3.jpg

recstar24-albums-moth-si2a3-45h-picture199-moth-2a345h4.jpg

recstar24-albums-moth-si2a3-45h-picture200-moth-2a345h5.jpg

recstar24-albums-moth-si2a3-45h-picture201-moth-2a345h6.jpg

I believe this is the exact model that Kurt owned, Saint1 owns (from James3toe who got it from a user "Bob"), and Nightfall. One of only 5 that Craig built that was supposed to develop into an actual EC 2a3 line with the top of the line black rose being at the top of the lineage. By far the si2a3/45H is the best sounding of the different moth 2a3 iterations and may be slightly better than the ec2a3 version due to the external power transformer and inductor chassis. Power supply is all film caps as well, same output transformers.

Now I need to get some 45's and I should be okay.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on being able to acquire that amp Ryan! I remember you wrote on Head-Fi somewhere that you used to own one and missed it so much, if a used one ever came up you'd jump on it again. ;) Must be a great amp since it's from the hands of Craig Uthus, the man really seems to know his stuff.

man, that's a looker. i need to get an EC at some point. is it better than the ZD? i'm a bigger fan of OTL, but i am willing to be a transformer coupled believer :)

I really think its more a preference thing, I have the ZD boxed up and that thing is way too complicated to put back in so I only had a chance to compare the two for about 2 hours or so. The ZD is slightly cleaner leading itself to a more neutral sound, whereas the moth has a more full, rounded sound. That is an exaggeration, there are both very close to the middle but one leans over this way, the other leans the other way, if that makes sense. With the grados I think the moth has the slight edge, the bass department is a bit more "developed." The ZD has the edge with the senns, which really just breaks down to the whole OTL vs. transformer coupled debate, as traditionally OTL's perform better with hi impedance and the transformers perform better with the low impedance. When I had the hd25 this was really obvious as the RS-1's sang and the senns sounded like crap with that amp. Considering I am a grado head and I have really learned to love the transformer musicality I am pretty happy. When I get some emission labs 45 I think that will be it.

Congrats on being able to acquire that amp Ryan! I remember you wrote on Head-Fi somewhere that you used to own one and missed it so much, if a used one ever came up you'd jump on it again. ;) Must be a great amp since it's from the hands of Craig Uthus, the man really seems to know his stuff.

Yeah for sure - this one is a bit different, and the differences lead themselves to a slightly better sound. The film caps in the power supply gives the sound a more organic, liquid presentation, my 1st moth s2a3 that came from JP#'s had electrolytic caps. The biggest thing is the external chassis that houses the power transformer and inductors. My 1st moth has a slight but noticeable background hum with grados. Low enough to be covered by the noise floor in most recordings but present enough to tick you off every once in a while. Most users wouldn't care and I truly didn't but it was there. This moth si2a3/45H is dead black. It also has 3 inputs and my old one only had 1. But the old one wins the looks department. The top plate was a painted black, a really nice looking paint like what you would see on a BMW or lexus, the newer si2a3 on to my model has the more generic looking powder coat finish. The original moth s2a3 also had some really random details as well. The chassis had thick aluminum plates that were polished, acid etched, anodized and gold filled. Inside are silver washers, brass plaques and more. You opened up the amp and these beautiful brass plaques were by the transformers with a detailed diagram showing how the change the output taps to match your speaker impedance, all laser etched into the brass. The port holes were machined out of solid aluminum, polished, and anodized, and the feet were machined out of aluminum bar stock. Only thing I see that carried over is the aluminum feet. Of course the original moth s2a3 retailed at 3500, didn't sell, developed into the si2a3 with some cutbacks was 1600 or so, and pretty much sold out with the review from stereophile helping out.

hmm, i love the warm neutral (;)) sound of the ZD, myself. i've heard several of the Moth/EC prototypes (including the original ZD proto),which includes transformer coupled amps, and the production ZD is probably my favorite headphone amp. that is with HP-2s, btw.

Yeah, I would say the moth is along the same lines, warm neutral:D I would say the moth is more warm neutral and the ZD is more neutral neutral:p

Oh I know but the reference is just way too funny, I can understand where it comes from but the more I think about the oxymoronic nature of the term it makes me laugh a bit.

Speakers are good - now I have something that can drive them:D Of course with 3 watts from 2a3's and 1.5-2 watts from 45's my options are somewhat limited:palm:

he sold them.

Yeah, and get this, to the guy I bought the moth from:palm: And in most likelihood when he plans on selling them (sooner than later) I will probably buy them back:p

BTW - man did I really underestimate those speakers. They had the sickest midrange not only for a single driver but could easily compete with much better stuff. The hi end was ok smooth but closed in and if you could deal with the lack of uber bass you were set. Very cohesive and could do the spooky realism touch the voices and instruments in front of you easily. ARrrgggg.

recstar24-albums-moth-s2a3-picture203-moth-s2a3.jpg

recstar24-albums-moth-s2a3-picture202-moths2a3.jpg

The above pics are of the original moth s2a3 and are more representative of the artistic nature that the moth gear went towards. Mine has much more of a prototype feel with the plain switches on top to switch between 2a3 and 45 usage, you should see the power supply, it is somewhat of a hack job, but I would say "classic" is a better adjective to describe the aesthetics of moth gear in general.

Very Nice Ryan. You realize this means that it has to show up at Chiunifi-Redux! I have relatively recently become a big fan of Craig and I need to hear my HP-1's on the Moth and Zana Deux.

For sure - it is an excellent combination with both amps. It is nice because mike G. still has his ZD in the area and the moth was able to stay here as well.

How about some internal pics :)

Nothing too exciting. The key is that if you look at the amp, there is a "hood" that is underneath the base of the amp. The majority of the point to point wiring is underneath and routed through this area, giving it from glance a clean look. Other than that, you have the output transformers electraprint TM3K-B, polypropylene caps for the PSU, the tube sockets, its actually quite a simple enough circuit, or at least compared to the ZD circuit, is much simpler. I'm happy.