Custom IEM's

laxx

I know some of you guys are very happy with your UE 10's and 11's, but those are well beyond my budget, and I don't think I'll ever be willing to spend that much.

So I've been thinking these days about giving a custom pair of IEMs a shot. I don't know what kind of exposure HC has compared to HF, but I figured I'd ask here first. Of the customs that are moderately priced, I only know of the LiveWires and the FreqShow (their highest model??). I know there's the UE 5 also, but I don't remember hearing much talk about them as everyone seems to just get the 10/11's.

hMm.. I listen to everything, so I'm looking for a good all arounder. As for headphones, I own a pair of AKG K701's (I know how you guys feel about this phone) and Grado RS-2's. The rest aren't worth mentioning. I enjoy the clarity of the K701's, and the speed of the RS-2's. I am not a fan of HD650's as I find no clarity in those phones. It could be the setup I listened to them in, but I much prefer the HD580/600's.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Triple fi are very nice at doing bass ("big headphone"-sounding), but I found them too sibilant with almost all my Rock music. They have overemphasized lower treble, one of the reasons that lead me to sell them. The other reason was the terrible comfort I couldn't get used to.

I'm not as much concerned about impedance as I am with sensitivity. Where are you guys finding specs for the Livewires? I must have missed them if they're on the site. :confused:

Finally someone hit the spot ;) It's not the impedance what makes phones to reproduce electronics hissing, but the sensitivity. By adding a resistor you obvioulsy increase the impedance, but you're also decreasing the power delivered, hence decreasing the sensitivity.

In any case I wouldn't use any custom ear canal molds unless really forced to use hearing aids for becoming deaf.

Finally someone hit the spot ;) It's not the impedance what makes phones to reproduce electronics hissing, but the sensitivity. By adding a resistor you obvioulsy increase the impedance, but you're also decreasing the power delivered, hence decreasing the sensitivity.

In any case I wouldn't use any custom ear canal molds unless really forced to use hearing aids for becoming deaf.

so would you rather I referred to it as a sensitivity adapter?

I know the science, I referred to it as an impedance adapter.

Oh, the head-case bunch have taught me that much, I just couldn't find an exact spec of the sensitivity. I was only able to find a post where someone posted the impedance of the Livewires.

Yeah, I can't find shit either. But for me it's not that big a deal really since odds are I'll be using them in an environment with so much ambient noise that the hiss will be the least of my worries.