Custom IEM's

laxx

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently interested in a pair of livewires for myself. Sensitivity is definitely a worry - but I am likely to be using them with a minibox-e+ where I can use the 75ohm impedance adapter switch as well as the low-gain setting. And having an adapter put into the cable itself is also cake.

Still, it's an experimental sound - I need to ask around with a few people to see how they feel about the livewires after some impedance (particularly that measurement) is applied. How they feel about them both in hiss as well as SQ change

You're an embedded software engineer. What do you know about science? ;)

As am I (currently).

I may not know much about it, but I love to exclaim: Science!

(You know, like in Thomas Dolby's "Blinded by Science")

OB Thread Contribution: I got my Sensaphonics custom e500/530 tips yesterday. I'm extremely disappointed. In short: fit and seal is perfect 10/10. Sound signature has changed significantly for the worse.

Is there a big improvement using customs over universals? Why not just universals with custom tips?

I want something super low profile, and custom are the only way to get that. Regular IEMs are bad enough, add custom tips and they usually get even worse in terms of how much projects out beyond your ear.

I want something super low profile, and custom are the only way to get that. Regular IEMs are bad enough, add custom tips and they usually get even worse in terms of how much projects out beyond your ear.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by super low profile, but my Westone UM2s have such a low profile that I can comfortably lay the side of my head down on a pillow. I haven't tried them with a helmet yet, but I think that they would be fine. If you haven't already, you might want to try them.

Nate, I listened to the Klipsch Image IEMs at CJ08 and I thought they were pretty good. Universals, but they were pretty damn small.

Live wire specs, straight from the man'f:

• Drivers: Dual balanced armatures (Tweeter / Woofer)

• Frequency Response: 20Hz – 18KHz

• Sensitivity (at 1 kHz): ~126 dB/mW

• Impedance: 22 ohms

• Isolation: 25-28 dB (depending on accuracy of impressions)

• Max Input Power: 150mW

• Distortion: Less than 0.3%

I must admit that the sensitivity seems pretty damn high and perhaps detrimentally so. :(

I did some more thinking about this purchase and I'm going to go with the Livewires and see how they do. It's hard to beat their 30 day return policy with customs.
I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of them. I've debated the Livewires in the past but even with their return policy the costs for the impressions here are pretty high as well, considering the cross border aspect, the costs involved for shipping them back for a refit could be pretty exorbitant.

I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of them. I've debated the Livewires in the past but even with their return policy the costs for the impressions here are pretty high as well, considering the cross border aspect, the costs involved for shipping them back for a refit could be pretty exorbitant.

Thankfully I found a local Audiologist who did the impressions for $20. I can see how cross-border mods would suck, thankfully that wasn't something I had to worry about. The pre-sale customer service from Livewires has also been excellent with questions answered politely and quickly.

Thankfully I found a local Audiologist who did the impressions for $20. I can see how cross-border mods would suck, thankfully that wasn't something I had to worry about. The pre-sale customer service from Livewires has also been excellent with questions answered politely and quickly.

Yes they were great when I talked to them back when they first started up, I was very impressed and pleasantly surprised that they're 30 day money back policy applied to Canadians as well.

Because I live in such a small place we only have a few audiologists, the one time I poked around it seemed like the cost for impressions was going to be around $100 which turned me off immediately. I should poke around a bit more though.

Indeed! Westone is just an hour or two away from me - I have already looked down their list for my state and it's quite extensive. And now that you mention that - I remember seeing their brochures / pamphlets at my ear nose & throat guy when I had my hearing test done there maybe half a year ago. Going to give him a ring and see how much he wants for doing that - or who in that office has been doing the impressions for Westone