FACT: Nuts are often found on motorcycles.

manaox2

I'm planning on getting a motor bike in the spring. I haven't driven anything larger then a 250cc dirt bike. By now, its blatantly obvious that motorcycles are extremely dangerous and I should start planning now for my impending crash.

The plan right now is to get a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD cruiser in the spring after taking the MSF course and buying safety gear; CE certified padded over pants, leather jacket, riding boots, gloves and no doubt a nice full face helmet. I really am impressed by this bike. Fairly lightweight, good handling, comfort, can handle my size and weight even on the freeway, decent fuel economy, style, price is right; I think its about the perfect bike for what I want which is something for all the short trips that is not going to be too too much for me to handle while saving gas over my huge F-150 extended cab truck.

Anyone else have a motorcycle or have plans?

k5 gsxr 1000

Both you and Nate have nice bikes. I don't think I would be happy to handle a sport bike myself often, especially not for a longer commute, but they look like an awesome alternative for canned adrenaline.

Not me. :rolleyes:

Do you know what causes the majority of motorcycle crashes? It's the nut holding the handlebars.

You mean the one connecting to the saddle? ;)

I also think that other drivers are usually looking for cars missing the motorcycle near them or don't often make the connection that someone on the motorcycle is going to die when they don't follow laws or are your general offensive driving asshole.

You mean the one connecting to the saddle? ;)

I also think that other drivers are usually looking for cars missing the motorcycle near them or don't often make the connection that someone on the motorcycle is going to die when they don't follow laws or are your general offensive driving asshole.

Yes, I'm referring to the nut that ties the handlebars to the saddle. IMO, I need to ride as if I'm invisible, because I basically am. I rarely have trouble with assholes and only one person in 18 years of riding has purposely moved into where I was. But as you say, people often just don't register motorcycles in their vision. It's even worse for bicyclists.

Instead of getting a cruiser, which is not that maneuverable in traffic and in urban situations, why don't consider a dual sport kind of bike. My around town ride now is a Suzuki DRZ400S with homemade bags. Actually the bags were made by John Chase of Chase and Harper fame, so they are very nice homemade bags. I'll post a picture tomorrow. This is the perfect around town bike. It's easy to ride, keeps up with traffic and gets 60 mpg. Being a dual sport bike, it soaks up huge bumps. It also has a nice, upright seating position. The only problem is that the seat is not comfortable for long term use, but that is easily fixable.

It looks a little too much like a dirt bike. If I didn't have the occupation I did (Middle School Teacher), I probably wouldn't be as concerned, but a lot of people I think have stereotypes about those motorcycles that I don't want being applied to me working with children (irresponsible and cheap, although the latter is a little bit applicable). Maybe there are more assholes driving where I live, I wouldn't be surprised.

The bike I'm getting is a little bit more maneuverable then the average cruiser because its only two-thirds the normal weight and is not as wide, it also gets 60 mpg and has a smooth power band. I like the extra weight a little because I don't want to get so blown around by all the SUVs and trucks on the road. I think a sport bike would be what I would get for more maneuverability, but I don't like how cramped I would be or the looks of my not so tiny frame on them.

Look at any of the horrendous videos of motorcycle accidents on Youtube and then look at the comments and amount of views. Many people today thrive off of another persons misfortune it seems, I have no doubt that many will not have any sympathy for me if/when I wreck. I can live with that.

• 2 weeks later...

How about the 650 V-Strom like Old Pa has above?

bike_V-Strom-DL650-Touring-Static.jpg

A great bike, cheap too.

Upright seating position, not like a bent over sport bike at all.

It's a lot more nimble that the Vulcan.

Take you a hell of a lot more places, more safely than a cruiser.

Wow, yeah, not bad, thanks!

2693779306_261c5196cb.jpg

Not mine, belongs to my best friend.

Damn. That is teh sex.