Bittorrent

:blink:

Um, yeah, where to begin... It's the "new" style of file sharing where everyone connects to a "tracker" to find "peers" that are trying to share the same file(s), and share it directly with peers they connect to. I'm sure Wikipedia can do a better job of explaining.

Let's just say that there are certain torrent sites that have loads and loads of valuable data. Some require you to upload a certain ratio of your DL to enforce the core of BT, which is that torrents only work if there are people to seed (provide the complete files).

Looks like you're late to the concept of search engines too! :)

Ok, I'm real late to this one. But why is bittorrent useful to me? And is it easy to use?

Just Fucking Google It

Just Fucking Google It

Just Fucking Google It

But why is bittorrent useful to me?

Because downloading in parallel from a cloud of peers may be faster that downloading from a single source?

And is it easy to us

There are bittorrent clients that reduce it to point and click.

You do know how to click, don't you?

http://torrentfreak.com/mac-bt-clients/

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving!

Glad I'm not the only one clueless about this particular topic. Guess a possible mitigating factor is my late start -- I graduated from university before Google even existed, in fact without ever accessing the public Internet. That's right whippersnappers, if you needed to know something back then you had to look it up in a book or find an actual human being with the required expertise. Crazy, I know. :)

Erm, in regards to that last point, if any HC members did feel moved to (privately) point this old dog in the direction of locations where our common interests are pursued, I'd certainly be willing to try out some new tricks.

I use less torrent, more rapidshare. For me the speeds are faster and the content more reliable. You have to know where to look for stuff but once you figure that out there is an amazing amount of material out there. I'm forever grateful to rapidshare for providing the entire history of Top Gear episodes.

• 3 weeks later...
Should I mention Demonoid here, it is very good for getting music you might not find on other places. p.s.: I have an invitation code for somebody who desperately needs it

There are other better music torrent sites out there if you can find invites to private trackers. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.