Restaurants in LA (need advice)

n_maher

So I need to enlist the help of some of the LA folks in making a couple of recommendations for good, reasonably priced restaurants in the LA area. My sister lives out there and every year for Xmas I try to get her a gift certificate to a place she might not otherwise know about or feel like she can afford. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

She may well know about Gladstones on the beach in Malibu, but it is a great spot. Indoor and outdoor seating about 20 yards from the surf. Good seafood and drinks. Fun stuff. Gift cards available.

I love El Chavo Mexican restaurant in West Hollywood, which is a fun spot with lots of wacky decorations and effectively a shrine to Dolly Parton over the bar. It is her favorite spot in LA apparently but the food is fantastic, great margaritas and live music. Unfortunately, they do not have a real website, but call and see if they would do a gift certificate. I bet they would.

If I think of more, I will let you know.

Nate, what are the objectives we are shooting for? Atmosphere, cuisine, people watching, wine list, bragging rites? What types of cuisine is she OK with or partial to? Mexican, Spanish, Argentine, Chinese or Italian? How about some general geographical preferences, I know of some great restaurants in Ventura County that will fit your needs.

Now if she lives on the eastern edge of LA County I know of some great Dim Sum restaurants in Monterey Park. That of course would mean lunch/brunch but the dishes are tasty, authentic and none of the staff speaks english. Your $100 gift certificate would go for a good three lunches, now that is authentic.

Is she a foody with music kind of person? That opens up a whole different group of restaurants but limits the location choices.

Ruth's Chris is a bit pricey and the staff out this way in LA County are pretty rude.

http://www.sizzlingsteak.com/virginiabeach/p/VB%20Dinner%201007.pdf

Though the menue is for a Virginia Beach location, prices are comporable to LA, if not a little cheaper than LA's.

Nate, what are the objectives we are shooting for? Atmosphere, cuisine, people watching, wine list, bragging rites? What types of cuisine is she OK with or partial to? Mexican, Spanish, Argentine, Chinese or Italian? How about some general geographical preferences, I know of some great restaurants in Ventura County that will fit your needs.

Mostly just looking for a nice place that they might not go or find otherwise. I'll post general geography later.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Din Tai Fung Dumpling House :: North America Branch / ??? :: ????

This is the US branch store of my favorite restaurant (from Taiwan). :)

You might have to wait a while to get in, so I'm not sure whether it works for you or not.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Din Tai Fung is excellent. Easily the best dumplings I've ever had. They are like little works of art. The restaurant is in a non-descript strip mall, so one would not go there unless they new what it was all about. I highly recommend this place to anyone in the LA area.

Mostly just looking for a nice place that they might not go or find otherwise. I'll post general geography later.

OK, you drive a hard bargin. :)

-Crustaecian in BH. Very chi, chi and has a great jazz combo in the bar on Friday evnings. It is Vietnamese, have them order from the secret inner kitchen menue.

-Rockenwagner Venice Beach. Great german/austrian fusian. Hans is a cool guy very friendly; his food unpretentious and yummy. .

-Valentino in Santa Monica. A budget pusher but really cool and excellent food.

-Cicada in LA. Not related to Eddie Current. Great fusion type cuisine.

-Drago in Santa Monica. Excellent Italian. Wifey's favorite.

-Geofreys in Malibu. Great views of ocean and parts of Malibu and interesting crowd, good service, good food.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Din Tai Fung is excellent. Easily the best dumplings I've ever had. They are like little works of art. The restaurant is in a non-descript strip mall, so one would not go there unless they new what it was all about. I highly recommend this place to anyone in the LA area.

The dumplings are great, but my favorite dish from them is the steamed chicken soup (with or without noodles).

I've heard that the quality/taste vary from one Din Tai Fung to another.

I've been to both the main store in Taiwan and the LA branch. IMO the LA branch is not quite there yet, but it's not that far off. Certainly worth the waiting time to me. I haven't been to the main store for several years though, and I'm not sure how reliable my memory is.

The first time I visited the LA branch was around 2 years ago, and the second time was around 6 months ago. I think they improved significantly during those 18 months in between. I'm making another visit at the end of this month, and I'm hoping for further improvements. ;D

OK, you drive a hard bargin. :)

-Crustaecian in BH. Very chi, chi and has a great jazz combo in the bar on Friday evnings. It is Vietnamese, have them order from the secret inner kitchen menue.

-Rockenwagner Venice Beach. Great german/austrian fusian. Hans is a cool guy very friendly; his food unpretentious and yummy. .

-Valentino in Santa Monica. A budget pusher but really cool and excellent food.

-Cicada in LA. Not related to Eddie Current. Great fusion type cuisine.

-Drago in Santa Monica. Excellent Italian. Wifey's favorite.

-Geofreys in Malibu. Great views of ocean and parts of Malibu and interesting crowd, good service, good food.

Crustaecian is a great spot -- there are two in SF although one is not called that -- but the best thing on the secret menu is baked crab and it is way expensive. The garlic noodles are awesome but also very expensive for noodles. All tolled, you could get a simple meal for 2 there for under $100 but they would have to pay close attention to things marked "AQ" instead of priced! :o

German/Austrian is fusion?! That is damn funny.

Anyway, the real reason for posting was to offer to check out El Chavo for gift certificates because I will be down there this Friday night. Let me know if you want me to inquire and/or acquire.