USB keyboard?

So, either what's the best "value" keyboard that I should get, or how much should I consider spending, if they're all the same? Basically, I need to get an add-on for a laptop that I've been using more frequently, and everything I have is PS2. $10? $25? Should I get this? Or should I just get the cheapest thing I can find with full-size keys (currently, the price to beat appears to be US$10)? Or should I get one of those roll-away ones? I'm asking for experience from people who've gotten keyboards for their laptops as well as advice on price-setting.

I used to use a regular $15ish Logitech keyboard that was great, until I found mechanical switch keyboards (definitely not value keyboards). I hear the flexible keyboards are quiet, but just poor for regular use. My roommate uses that Saitek (well, a very similar model) and it's just a standard "gamer" style keyboard.

what kind of key mechanism do you prefer?
There are different types of mechanisms? Yes, I am that ignorant. What are most of them? That's what I'm used to. Or proximity capacitive touch sensor "mechanisms".

What's so special about the happy hacking keyboard? Will it make me happy to hacK? See, I'm already doing it. Are all the hip script kiddies using it? No, seriously, what's so special about it?

Yeah, I probably have a couple Model M's lying around -- so you're saying I should just get a couple USB->PS2 adapters, then? Have one at work and one at home, and then I don't even need to "tote" them, except on special occasions (being at a friend's house, having car worked on, etc.). Yeah, that might actually be a good idea.

I dunno a Internal Asset Utilization from a TPS Report, but can you put me down for half a dozen? I like the PS/2 vintage, but any 102-key version will do. :jacob:

Yeah, I probably have a couple Model M's lying around -- so you're saying I should just get a couple USB->PS2 adapters, then? Have one at work and one at home, and then I don't even need to "tote" them, except on special occasions (being at a friend's house, having car worked on, etc.). Yeah, that might actually be a good idea.

EDIT: Dusty = smart.

Pah. There is only one keyboard. I have been using it for over 20 years.

Well, the closest you can get....

Customizer 104/105 (though I'd recommend their SpaceSaver to save space - same internals). Big fan of Unicomp (current licensers of Mod M). Otherwise Microsoft 4000s come up on sale frequently ($30-40). Get the Unicomp though. ;)

Well, the closest you can get....

Customizer 104/105 (though I'd recommend their SpaceSaver to save space - same internals). Big fan of Unicomp (current licensers of Mod M). Otherwise Microsoft 4000s come up on sale frequently ($30-40). Get the Unicomp though. ;)

I've been thinking about buying an external keyboard to use with my MacBook because I hate the flat keys and I've been considering those Unicomp keyboards. Got any experience with them?

The unicomp would be problematic because it's missing the command keys, tho I suppose judicious remapping could fix that.

Yeah, I think remapping works because I know of Mac users who Windows keyboards at home. Remapping is a must because I don't want to relearn finger muscles memory. :P

While we're talking about ergonomy, anybody have a suggestion for a good comfortable mouse? My very basic Logitech 2-buttons + scrollwheel is dying on me and I'd like to buy a new mouse with at least two more buttons for back/forward while browsing. I don't care about the size or if it's wired or wireless.

I've been thinking about buying an external keyboard to use with my MacBook because I hate the flat keys and I've been considering those Unicomp keyboards. Got any experience with them?
Yeah, the SpaceSaver is my main keyboard (both MacBook and ThinkPad - yes, I map). After being disappointed after a trial with the Matias Tactile Pro and a side trek over to Matias HalfKeyboard, I settled with a Unicomp. Doubt I'll ever switch. Loud as hell, so not appropriate for many situations including most office (where the Microsoft 4000 comes in), but I find it much preferable in situations it does work with. Everything else feels so cheap and inexact in registration. Only other warning I'd give is Unicomp is doing near zero innovation. So if you're holding out better ergonomic key layout (which is hard to return from once you've adjusted) or a mouse driver to scroll with their Endurapro model - it ain't happening. They pretty much produce existing old designs only. Otherwise, best $70 I've spent on computers and been a great year.

Also if you order and tell them it's for a Mac they'll send additional blank keys to pop off the Windows button if you want.

While we're talking about ergonomy, anybody have a suggestion for a good comfortable mouse? My very basic Logitech 2-buttons + scrollwheel is dying on me and I'd like to buy a new mouse with at least two more buttons for back/forward while browsing. I don't care about the size or if it's wired or wireless.

I alternate between using the Vertical Mouse and Kensington ExpertMouse. The latter shows up on sale occasionally and its scroll wheel (around trackball) is a huge plus.

Nah, I returned it within a few weeks. I was hoping to save time by keeping one hand on the keyboard and one on mouse, but I stopped believing in the end it was really going to save time (and probably cramp the hand far more often). Their 508 Keyboard is probably a better compromise if you have the space for a conventional keyboard. Will say learning to type one-handed was surprisingly easy (I'm sure especially compared to the FrogPad) as the keys are just reversed.