DACing Off

The Monkey

So pretty soon I'll have an ECD-1 in the house, which means I'll be able to compare it to the North Star m192 mk2. I've heard such great things about the ECD-1 that I just impulsively pulled the trigger when I saw it on the 'gon. But I also have grown very fond of the North Star. It will be fun to compare.

I'll save this space for my impressions...

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes into listening to the ECD-1 and my very first impression is that it has a noticeably different sound signature from the North Star. Both DACs are musical, but the North Star is a bit leaner and meaner but with a larger soundstage. Whereas the ECD-1 is lusher and a bit more musical--sweeter and a bit more forgiving, but not muddy at all. Some synergy issues here, too. I think the North Star will benefit from being paired with the 007tii

This is going to be difficult.

You don't have too many good sources, you have too few amps and headphones to combine them with! :D

Which could all be shortened to "too little listening time" and then would be most correct. I think in keeping the y1 for work, duet for the soldering rig and Hertsens for the headphone rig I'm pretty well covered though.

So far I prefer the north star with the O2 and the 007tii. Bigger sounstage, more impact, but still musical. Slightly splashy up top compared to the ECD-1, but it rocks harder. The ECD-1 is lovely, but polite. Lush, smooth, and refined. Also musical. I think the Stax amp is killing the ECD-1 here. I had planned to decide between the DACs pretty quickly. I think I'll need to upgrade the amp first. Both

I expected the ECD-1 to best the north star. Not so far. But both are very satisfying DACs.

So far I prefer the north star with the O2 and the 007tii. Bigger sounstage, more impact, but still musical. Slightly splashy up top compared to the ECD-1, but it rocks harder. The ECD-1 is lovely, but polite. Lush, smooth, and refined. Also musical. I think the Stax amp is killing the ECD-1 here. I had planned to decide between the DACs pretty quickly. I think I'll need to upgrade the amp first. Both

I expected the ECD-1 to best the north star. Not so far. But both are very satisfying DACs.

The ECD-1 impressions are very similar to mine. It is a musical and pleasing sound overall, but to me it is too polite as in laid back, too lush to extent of being mushy maybe even, and too smooth, as in smoothed out/rolled off. Probably sounds a little too harsh because it is nice sounding but those characteristics made it less than acceptable for my tastes. I'm betting on the North Star.

Listening with the Signatures tonight. The theme song from Kids in the Hall has been surprisingly useful for comparison. The north star is a more forward DAC with a bit larger soundstage. But on this track, while the ECD-1 didn't do as nice a job with the guitars, it did a better job with the multiple symbal crashes. I guess I'd characterize the ECD-1 as more romantic/dramatic and the north star as more impactful/exciting. This comparison is going to be a mess.

Listening with the Signatures tonight. The theme song from Kids in the Hall has been surprisingly useful for comparison. The north star is a more forward DAC with a bit larger soundstage. But on this track, while the ECD-1 didn't do as nice a job with the guitars, it did a better job with the multiple symbal crashes. I guess I'd characterize the ECD-1 as more romantic/dramatic and the north star as more impactful/exciting. This comparison is going to be a mess.

You probably don't mean it this way, but I'm reading this to mean neither dac is neutral, especially the ECD-1 describing it as "more romantic/dramatic". If we agree the dac is to reproduce the music as recorded then anything it adds takes away from neutrality, although it can be quite musical and still sound wonderful.