DACing Off

The Monkey

Oh man, Doug, I'm sorry to see that. Can't hurt to try to file a claim with the carrier (if it works the same there as it does here). More importantly, though, that damage looks almost like it was pre-existing. Maybe it's just hard to tell from the pictures, but it almost looks like...water damage?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to sift every single tiny piece of varnish out of the packaging and if it doesn't go towards covering the extent of that damage (there were no pictures of the rear of the unit on the auction). I'm going to want every single penny of my money back ASAP. I'd have cared less and swapped the panels with the stock unit I've got. But these chips are almost certainly fakes and thats fraud.

I wouldn't necessarily think those TDAs were fake; the date code is valid, etc. There is a big thread on diyaudio covering these, but they look plausible to me.

Since it doesn't power up and is damaged, the refund and return is the way to go. Good luck!

the SF:

-bass hugely inferior. slow, fat, bloaty, doesn't extend as deep, midbass boomy in comparison to D1.

what, no love for bass that's like a fat black woman shaking her booty?

that's one reason I really really like the SFD2 mk2. the bass doesn't turn on a dime.

if you listen to stand-up bass in jazz tracks it sounds more real.

not to mention it extends pretty f'in deep as is, before comparing it to the d1, which has a solid state design and probably pretty fault-less bass reproduction

yeah, it gets a little wooly with the midbass.

again, another reason I like it so much..

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1r7qc_sir-mix-a-lotbaby-got-back_music

Jesus, Doug, what luck. So sorry you got screwed on this deal, but at least this time you appear to have found a seller willing to honor his end of the deal.

Best of luck finding another proper double crown. In the meantime, Eejit's Pass looks promising... :)

I will now take suggestions for another DAC I guess.

the Parasound 1600HD is a great value, also sounds better with headphones than other DAC's (Sonic Frontiers) due to its solid state prAT and nice headstage/soundstage

it also just simply doesn't fuck up imo

EDIT: I doubt the 1600hd is 230v switchable without switching out the trafo

I wouldn't necessarily think those TDAs were fake; the date code is valid, etc. There is a big thread on diyaudio covering these, but they look plausible to me.

Since it doesn't power up and is damaged, the refund and return is the way to go. Good luck!

I thought all double crowns were S2, is this not so? Not a TDA1541 aficionado or anything.

Damn that sucks Doug but if you've got a full refund then that is great. There is no excuse for packaging something this hefty in a small box and hope for the best. I do have fond memories of seeing the staff at the post office trying to handle the DAS-R1 I sold you. :D

Doug, my advice is to bail on the transaction and seek a refund now.

+1

The metal surrounding the damaged wood looks too well for those to be hits on transport, and doing a bad packaging may be part of the plot. Does not look too good to me: refund ASAP.

(edited: I have been a little slow to answer :( sorry)

Oh and afaik both D1 and Para1600 have double primaries on its tansformers, so rewirable for 230VAC.