Question about DAC's

kelvinz

I currently have a X-Fi Elite pro containing the CS4398 DAC which it seems to share in common with headroom's ultra micro DAC.

Is this an adequate DAC? Should I look to upgrade?

I have a incoming beta22 and a friend mentioned that the sound card dosen't have a proper "line out" to run to the b22.

Thoughts?

kelvinz, just because your source and another source share a common DAC chip doesn't mean they sound the same. terminology wise it can get confusing: usually when we say "DAC" we are talking about the whole shebang, like the entire unit, not just the chip.

I suggest you start researching USB DACs in your pricerange.

The X-Fi is a decent sound card for general computer users but it sucks for audiophile applications. There are better sound cards for audio, but if you want truly high-end sound on a computer, it's better to use a USB DAC than involve the sound card because even the best ones are still susceptible to the internal electromagnetic interference inside the computer - it's best to do the D/A conversion outside the computer, not inside it.

Sound cards do actually put out a line-level analog signal, whoever told you that is misinformed - most computer speakers are powered (have amps), they have to be so you can actually hear stuff since the sound card output is generally fairly weak.

And you should definitely get a USB DAC because trying to use a B22 without one won't do you any good. The minimum I'd suggest would be the upcoming HeadAmp Pico DAC (yet unreleased, not to be confused with the product currently being sold). The next most interesting DAC options would be the Electrocompaniet ECD1, Northstar M192, or Peachtree Audio Nova.

Do you have a budget in mind? I can recommend the Bel Canto DAC3 (around $1500 used) though the Pico DAC looks good too though I haven't heard the Pico or the Pico DAC as yet. Another to think about is the Bryston DAC which looks really nice and you can't beat the warranty. There are Benchnmark DAC1s that go cheap every once and a while too.

I would recommend instead of getting a USB DAC you go to a USB DD converter that outputs SPDIF to the DAC to separate the ground from the DAC. I have had ground hum issues with every DAC that I've tried to hook up using a straight USB hookup.

Good luck!

Keep in mind that your incoming β22 amp is a very high end headphone amp, and try to match it with a DAC of the same level. It will be grossly undersourced as it stands. There are more and more high end DACs popping up with USB. I agree that if your CPU is going to be your main transport a USB DAC is the way to go.

Ok, this thread has DAC in the title so I'm hijacking it for my own evil purposes and n00b questions...

I'm a pauper with nary two farthings to rub together. Now, I need a somewhat decent DAC which will also be attached to a B22. Is the Opus DAC going to be an economically friendly and viable option or is it going to be so-so?

I imagine a few of you have or made one.

I have the circuit boards ready, and the raw enclosures were finished today -- they just have to be sent off to be made pretty, so probably 4-6 more weeks

I don't know if I missed it somewhere, did you have a price set for these yet?

And in your totally unbiased view ;) will it compete with the Opus?

Also, could we potentially buy uncased boards for integrating into an amp?

Edited by Smeggy