Starting up on acousic guitar - brand recommendations?

Aura

Been "playing" my friend's guitar every day for the last two weeks, so I think it's fair to say that I'm pretty serious about learning acoustic, especially given that my enthusiasm for saxophone has gradually been dwindling the last half year or so.

Anywho, I plan on buying my own guitar this summer, just wondering what brands I should be looking at. Keep in mind this is just a starting point for me, so I'm not looking to spend too much money, say a budget of like $300-400. My friend has a Yamaha; I really have no reference for what a decent guitar is but this one seems alright.

Thanks for any/all help, much appreciated.

There's a $300 and under budget acoustic guitar thread here that may be of some help:

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com - OFFICIAL "What guitar under $300" Thread

The Yamaha FG730S is mentioned there and it's pretty nice. I like the Seagull S6 and the Takamine GS330S in that price range as well. If your budget is $400, then you can actually afford an entry level Martin DXM.

But like with audio gear, buying used may be your best bet if you want to get the most for your buck.

You want to make sure you get a solid top for sure.

I say bring your friend or someone else that plays to a store and play every one in your price range.

If you want a guitar to learn, then it's way better you go to a guitar shop and try several models. You want your first guitar to feel comfortable in your hands, that the strings don't need heroic strength to sound clean nor to bend a tone, that frets are distanced in a way it's easy for you running your fingers across the fretboard, and that it's not too wide to make difficult complex chords, nor too thin that your finger touches air strings.

If you get a guitar which is easy to play and sounds nice, you'll spend way more time practicing than if it's a wonderful guitar which is hard to play and bring any sounds from it.

That said, I'd try one of the entry level Yamahas, they sound quite nice, looks are OK and usually are easy to play.

Another great option, if you could get one used is the Martin 000M which IMO has those qualities I described.

above all else, look for a guitar with low action (distance between fretboard & strings). Lots of economy guitars have atrocious action, which makes it even harder to learn the instrument, as you will require great hand strength.

At the same time, if its too low, it will buzz and tone will suffer.

x2

my roommate had to sand down the bridge for his crappy guitar to make it playable

above all else, look for a guitar with low action (distance between fretboard & strings). Lots of economy guitars have atrocious action, which makes it even harder to learn the instrument, as you will require great hand strength.
That's one way to look at it, the other way is that it's like starting on a manual typewriter before going to electric -- build up those muscles, and everything after that will be easy.

Of course, this is coming from a non-guitarist, YMMV, etc.

That's one way to look at it, the other way is that it's like starting on a manual typewriter before going to electric -- build up those muscles, and everything after that will be easy.

Yep, hence my recommendation. Action alone doesn't necessarily mean you need a lot of force to press the strings, and force is relative to own strength. Getting something you feel comfortable playing is an important factor to keep practicing and getting some quick encouraging results.

Yep, hence my recommendation. Action alone doesn't necessarily mean you need a lot of force to press the strings, and force is relative to own strength. Getting something you feel comfortable playing is an important factor to keep practicing and getting some quick encouraging results.

I had lunch yesterday with a buddy, who used to be a professional rock guitarist until he decided he'd rather eat more regularly. He said the same thing. His first guitar was very difficult to finger and it made is left arm and hand so strong that playing good guitars later was really easy.

If you want a guitar to learn, then it's way better you go to a guitar shop and try several models. You want your first guitar to feel comfortable in your hands, that the strings don't need heroic strength to sound clean nor to bend a tone, that frets are distanced in a way it's easy for you running your fingers across the fretboard, and that it's not too wide to make difficult complex chords, nor too thin that your finger touches air strings.

If you get a guitar which is easy to play and sounds nice, you'll spend way more time practicing than if it's a wonderful guitar which is hard to play and bring any sounds from it.

That said, I'd try one of the entry level Yamahas, they sound quite nice, looks are OK and usually are easy to play.

Another great option, if you could get one used is the Martin 000M which IMO has those qualities I described.

This is great advice. My wife started with a Washburn and my daughter with a Seagull S6. Both handled several guitars until they found the one they felt was most comfortable. Both are still having a great time.

Thanks much for the advice everyone; the Yamaha's look very good for the money, but next time I visit my local Guitar Center I'll put aside extra time to look for (and audition) the models that were listed in your link Mark.

As far as comfort/applying pressure, my left hand pointer and index fingers are already getting pretty good callouses, so really having to put force on the strings is something I've already started getting used to. Might serve me better for the future, who knows.

Firstly about acoustic guitars (steel string), pick the right size. There's the Jumbo, Dreadnought, Grand Concert, Grand Auditorium. Solid tops sound better than laminate tops as they age. Cutaway or no cutaway, depending on your preference.

Decent (acoustic) guitars within your price range can be found from Martin, Ibanez, Fender, Epiphone and of course, Yamaha.

But when you really want to buy a "high-end" acoustic guitar, look into Maton, Martin again, Taylor, Ovation/Adamas. Avoid Gibson, Ibanez and Fender's so-called "high end" acoustic guitars. Because they don't look, sound or feel high end at all.

• 4 months later...

Very much delayed bump, but I just wanted to share a few shots and some impressions of my first guitar that I purchased this past week:

HPIM4746.jpg?t=1248747571

HPIM4759.jpg?t=1248747715

HPIM4760.jpg?t=1248747870

HPIM4767.jpg?t=1248747912

~~~

I spent nearly two hours at my local Guitar Center the day that I purchased the DX1. Auditioned one Yamaha FG700, two FG730's, a Seagull S6 Entourage, a Martin 000X1, a slightly different custom DX, and the DX1 I ended up with (had to request it from the warehouse in back).

Before I went to the store I thought I'd end up with the Seagull. However, the proof is in the pudding, and the S6 had a tone that was just way too warm and relaxed for me. Whatever review I read that had the Seagull as very "spanish-esque" was spot on; the tone did not seem like it be ideal for use with a bunch of different genres. Since I am not sure which sort of music I even want to play yet, the Seagull did not make sense.

The Yamaha's were decent in sound, I think the FG700 is probably the better buy at $100-150 less than the 730. The tone was pretty good, but the built quality was very meh.

All of the Martins are incredible. I only bothered to play the DX series models because they were the only ones I could afford. They may cost a few hundred more than the Yamaha's, but they feel and play like they cost a thousand more. I was shocked at how good a Martin feels compared to other brands, they are in a totally different league in my opinion. The tone, to me, sounds exactly as an acoustic should. Nothing funky about it, just some warmth and accurate. I really liked the 000X1, but it was $50 more and I was already quite a bit over budget so I decided to go with the more popular model (also a big plus that my guitar was untouched prior to me playing it, the 000X1 they had was on display). That being said, the 000X1 is a very nice guitar and I would recommend that equally to the other DX models even it might be a bit lesser-known right now.

So yeah, I spent a lot of money for a first guitar. The way I see it, I am very serious about getting to solid playing level, so I might as well learn and something that sounds and feels wonderful to me as I move forward. Been playing daily, the tone is just perfect on every note and every chord. I'll probably stay loyal to Martin for a long while.

PS - I have a Mexican-made DX1. Since it's brand-new, this was impossible to avoid. You have to go back to 5-year old DX models (bare minimum) to find ones that were made here in the States. Honestly I don't really care about this; Martin has every one sent to Pennsylvania for inspection and QC before they are sent to dealers. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

I can not speak highly enough for taking a series of lessons from a professional instructor. Getting your hands in the correct position and having a few initial goals will do wonders for your long-term enjoyment. I took classical lessons for a while and the hardest part about starting was getting rid of the bad habits I created by just noodling around for years.

Nice guitar, the wood looks beautiful! Kudos for starting on acoustic, I know so many people who started right away on electric guitars and played with a lot of distortion to hide their mistakes. If you ever decide to take the electric road, you'll certainly have a good base to start on.

Also, I hope you're learning your chords and the notes on the guitar's neck, because learning guitar with tab sheets is the worst thing you could do.

Nice looking guitar!

Thanks bro :).

I can not speak highly enough for taking a series of lessons from a professional instructor. Getting your hands in the correct position and having a few initial goals will do wonders for your long-term enjoyment. I took classical lessons for a while and the hardest part about starting was getting rid of the bad habits I created by just noodling around for years.

Thanks for the advice, yes I do want to take some form of lessons. I have the advantage of still being in school with a music department full of people who would probably be competent enough to help me. Hell, I know the department chair well enough that perhaps he could either direct me to the best person or help me himself ;).

Nice guitar, the wood looks beautiful! Kudos for starting on acoustic, I know so many people who started right away on electric guitars and played with a lot of distortion to hide their mistakes. If you ever decide to take the electric road, you'll certainly have a good base to start on.

Also, I hope you're learning your chords and the notes on the guitar's neck, because learning guitar with tab sheets is the worst thing you could do.

Thanks GPH, acoustic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> electric. IMO.

I looked at tabs once, they confused the shit out of me. I am learning notes/chords right on the neck and reading a little bit of sheet music as well. Playing alto sax for years gives me the head-start of being able to read music without thinking twice about it, but matching it to the notes is a little tricky since my fingers aren't used to it.

*cough* I'm a beginner and I'm starting on an electric (but I started doodling on a classical first) <_< I use mine with a Tascam US-144 as an amp replacement.

I don't think I'm going to take any professional lessons for a while (can't afford them), so are there any "usual" pitfalls I should avoid? I might have some guitar playing friends give me lessons every now and then though.

*cough* I'm a beginner and I'm starting on an electric (but I started doodling on a classical first) <_< I use mine with a Tascam US-144 as an amp replacement.

No problem with starting on electric, as long as you don't put tons of distortion to hide your mistakes and you don't post videos of yourself playing "Stairway to heaven" on YouTube. :D

I don't think I'm going to take any professional lessons for a while (can't afford them), so are there any "usual" pitfalls I should avoid? I might have some guitar playing friends give me lessons every now and then though.

Learn your chords, learn the notes, learn finger positions and practice a lot. I'm a trumpet player, so I can't help you more than that. :P

Lessons a good idea...... I've been playing bass for 13 years and noodling on guitar occasionally for 5, fairly seriously the last year and a half... I've never taken lessons (nor can I read music or tab for that matter) and do everything by ear, but I'm sure I have tons of bad habits and am really eager to push past my current talent wall... my technique on bass is pretty good (developed by necessity during my Rush phase...) but on guitar I'm horrid! when I'm not stinking busy with work, getting some guitar lessons is high on my to do list......