Electric Razor Advice

Icarium

So I've been a long time Norelco user and I have one that I've reasonably liked... but the blades are pretty dull and replacements aren't cheap and it's an old model.

Thinking about jumping ship to Braun as most of my friends that go electric seem to prefer Braun.

Looking at their top of the line with self cleaning et all.. it's ~220 on Amazon.com

Any people have experience in the Braun/Norelco dealio?

Yeah I know manual is superior and all that, but I'm not particularly hairy and even though I have to make a lot of motions I only shave 2x a week and it's still pretty speedy.

I only shave 2x a week and it's still pretty speedy.

:o

I wish. I shave once a day and if I'm going out for the evening I hit it again.

I'm a long time Braun user. Heavy beard (if you didn't catch it) but the Braun handles it beautifully. Highly recommended.

I recieved this: Amazon.com: Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver: Health & Personal Care as an x-mas gift this year. It replaced a Panasonic I bought a couple years ago. Much closer shaver, and it's also quieter. I really like the self-cleaning system, it's nice having a fresh like-new shaver every morning when I use it.

I should also mention that the cleaning fluid lasts around 3 months and the refill kits are pretty cheap.

Yeah that's what I'm looking at. Okay question.. Braun users especially long time ones.. how often do you have to change blades?

I have to assume they simply last longer with the self cleaning system. And how long does the self cleaning fluid last?

Should I order at least 1 pair of replacement blades and/or self cleaning fluid now?

I think this is enough to order the 790c.

I've been using my latest Braun for almost 10 years. It works like a charm, is reliable and blade/head changes are easy. The cleaning works great, I do not clean it after every shave, but more like once every two weeks or so. I simply loosen the head and turn it on to remove loose hairs after every shave. I go through maybe 4 cleaning refills a year, not really a significant expense compared to my audio related expenses. I do change the blade/head every year, but that is shaving every day.

I used to have Braun shavers but since I changed to Panasonic I will never go back. And most (maybe all) are water proof so you can just clean them under the tap. Cleaning fluid for the self cleaning models is a money grab IMO.

I kind of feel the self cleaning is better than water cleaning. Human dead skin is pretty cloggy/clingy and factor in the oils (Water proofing)... I just don't feel water cleaning is sufficient.

I kind of feel the self cleaning is better than water cleaning. Human dead skin is pretty cloggy/clingy and factor in the oils (Water proofing)... I just don't feel water cleaning is sufficient.

Enough that after scraping my face for a couple of years it becomes an issue as far as norelco blade performance goes.

The last time I used an electric razor, I grew a whole bunch of nasty bumps on my upper lip from the skin irritations. I'm going to go full-blown wet shaving soon. There definitely is a sizable layer of dead skin and oil that comes off when I shave.

Wet shaving is the way go! That sizable layer of dead skin and oil are well taken care of with a good shaving cream like Proraso and a good boar or badger brush.

You need a thick skin for that too. Having one is good for more things than just crawling Head-case.

IME Philips razors are more gentle to the skin that the Braun type. I've been using Philips for more than 20 years.

I just bought one of these Phillips Arcitec RQ 1050 shavers to replace some awful Remington rotary I'd had (Remington being a European grooming products company unrelated to the US gun manufacturer). Got a good discount on it about US$100 below the usual price. Not sure what I think of it so far. It does give a nice close shave, but it doesn't look or feel especially robust. I guess time will tell.

rq1050.jpg

I've been using one like that -not sure the very same model- for one year now. Quite happy with it, more robust than it seems. I liked better older models with shaving level adjustment and which could be used directly plugged into the AC power line, but this one feels gentler on the skin and catches better those damn hairs that grow into the skin plane. It's also easier and faster to clean.

I've been using one like that -not sure the very same model- for one year now. Quite happy with it, more robust than it seems. I liked better older models with shaving level adjustment and which could be used directly plugged into the AC power line, but this one feels gentler on the skin and catches better those damn hairs that grow into the skin plane. It's also easier and faster to clean.

Good to hear. I'm certainly impressed with the shave I get from it and I agree it is surprisingly gentle.