OPPO BDP-83

Hopstretch

I prefered the Samsung (and Sharp) to pretty much every other LCD out there. Just based on in-store auditions. The Sharps never go on sale, and therefore don't have the same market presence that the Samsungs do, but I prefer them, so that's what I'll end up getting if I end up getting a LCD. I'm pretty much sold on a Samsung plasma, though. Also looking at the LED's that just came out.

So I hear a lot about plasma having a short life span. There seem to be some really good deals on plasma TVs ATM. How much concern should I really have about lifespan?

Again my TV watching is probably 8 hrs. a week at best.

Also do you feel that there is a Samsung LCD close to my budget? I think 46" - 47" is my preference, and if I can spend maybe $200.00 more for some significant improvement I'd probably dig deeper. But I'd need to notice a real difference. So let's say $1000 - $1,300.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, I don't spend much time worrying about the audio stuff either. The largest difference of course being that I can't build my own TV. But most would dismiss a lot of the gear in my sig from a technical standpoint. Oh nos, my DAC uses opamps and my transport uses some cheap drawer thingy! My amp has a highish output impedance, NOT THAT!!?!?! And my primary dynamic headphones cost $200. I'm clearly missing out on just about everything when you look at it like that. The stat rig, well, the amount of wheeling and dealing it took to put that list together is not insignificant. And it's not exactly set in stone yet.

That's fine, but not everyone is to the same degree. You make it sound like the Vizio is throwing money away, I'm not sure it's quite to that level of inadequate.

Well I do put a lot more effort and care into my audio system than anything I've ever owned I could even remotely call a video system.

However I think we're way more alike here than different. I used to get caught up on name brands and followed a lot of advice from publication reviews years back.

It took some time, but I finally realized I was building systems for others opinions, and not my own. I've long since learned to trust my own ears and my own preferences. It won't always be the popular choice, but I'm completely comfortable with that. I know that I prefer solid state to tubes in general. That's not the path followed by the majority of audiophiles, but I grew up on the solid state sound sig., and it's what sounds right to me. There's no right or wrong here, just different flavors for different tastes.

I've always said that if it's understood that so many of us see and taste things differently than others, why is it such a stretch to believe that we hear differently as well?

I, like you Nate have come to understand that what sounds good to me is the right choice. Names and pricetags have very little if anything to do with it. It just took me longer to figure that out than you.

And I do live in the real world where budgets come into play. And things need to be prioritised at times, and video is a bit further down the "Important" list for me. If Mr. Thorsen places it at a higher priority that's just fine, but it's silly to think that everyone else need follow suit.

Panasonic plasmas have a half life (ie. half brightness) of 100,000 hours.

Gosh Renato I'm not sure that'll be enough, as I plan to live to 178.

Let me do the math. :)

So Plasma is probably not a concern for me then, but if I can't budget the Panasonic I'm guessing that plasma over LCD is not always going to be a clear case? I will most likely have to compare as many different TVs as possible.

Any opinions of what I should really give a look at in my budget Renato?

Edited by swt61

I wish I could advise you further. Like audio, everyone sees somewhat differently as well. Neither technology is perfect. Some people see the shortcomings of plasma and that really bothers them. For me the shortcomings of LCD really bother me. Obviously this is from my own personal, limited, experience. Also TV's are really hard to shop for in-store. LCD's always look so much better in that environment. If your passion is to see a good movie, and enjoy how it was meant to be viewed, then for me the choice is plasma.

Well movies (Blu-ray specifically) would by far be how the TV would be used most.

Damn! I see that Sam's Club has that Panasonic for under $1,300.00. I guess I have more looking to do after all.

I'll go check out more TVs this weekend, keeping plasma in mind this time.

Thanks guys!

So I hear a lot about plasma having a short life span. There seem to be some really good deals on plasma TVs ATM. How much concern should I really have about lifespan?
Well, if you're concerned, then you're concerned, I don't really have any advice on that. Other than: Get an LCD. LCD's aren't bad, per se, I just personally prefer plasmas. Also, you need to be able to darken your room pretty dark if you're going to get a plasma. Which I would be able to do. But if you can't, that's another vote towards LCD (don't know if LED's handle that yet -- I should check). At 8 hours/week, I wouldn't worry too much about it. That's relatively light use.

I will give you a little more context as to where I'm coming from, so that you understand my comment: I deliberately said I... I... I... because I was saying what I was doing as a data point (amongst many), not as "what you should do"/trying to influence you to do things the way I'm doing them, because I don't feel I am sufficiently knowledgeable about your situation to give you that strong advice.

Also do you feel that there is a Samsung LCD close to my budget? I think 46" - 47" is my preference, and if I can spend maybe $200.00 more for some significant improvement I'd probably dig deeper. But I'd need to notice a real difference. So let's say $1000 - $1,300.
It might be a little high, but I would look at the LN46b6xx -- the 650, 630 or 610. Their retails are a little high, but the streets are typically lower. I prefer 120Hz to 60Hz (in LCD...plasmas don't provide that option). If you want to go even cheaper, look at the LN46B5xx -- 530, 540, 550.

PS Sony would be my third choice.

But what you really should do is go to a half decent store and go to them and actually look at some TV screens (from the distance from which you plan look at them at home). If they all look the same to you, then don't worry about it, and get the LG. If one of them stands out, then get that one.

Try zooming in here.

Don't go to Best Buy. I don't know why they're so fucked up, but I think it's the long cable runs, all their televisions look the same. I went to Belmont TV, myself.

The room can be made dark easily, and usually that's how I watch movies.

I'll check out your recommendations Dusty, Thanks!

I did zoom in a local store that looks worth checking into. I'll go Saturday and see what they have to offer.

Lots of good ideas and recommendations in this thread.

I'll just give you something to chew on:

Plasma technology fully came of age a couple of generations ago. A lot of the things you hear now are just left over FUD and paranoia. You can buy a plasma with confidence and simply use common sense like you would with anything else or any other TV and you have nothing to worry about.

I much prefer plasma over LCD for picture quality although LCD continues to make nice strides.

If you buy a good plasma from Samsung, Panasonic, or Pioneer you have no worries.

Quick example of what's out there right now from Panasonic, who is pretty much the torch bearer for plasma now:

Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA G10 Series TC-P50G10 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV: Electronics

This is their brand new 2009 G10 series of plasmas.

That's a 50 inch screen of kick ass quality. Add to cart...price = $1469. That's insane. Good luck finding me something better with that size screen anywhere close to a price like that.

Price too high?

Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA G10 Series TC-P46G10 46-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV: Electronics

Here's the 46 inch version of the same TV: Add to cart, price = $1288.45

Still too much?

Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA G10 Series TC-P42G10 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV: Electronics

42 inches, same series: Ready for this?...$999. That's madness.

So with at least the 42 and 46 inches you get great quality and stay within your budget. :)

So even if you aren't as "anal" about video as say... me ;) ... you can still do REAL well by yourself if you decide to consider plasma.

These days, there's no good reason for someone in the market for a TV to rule out any technology. LCD and plasmas both have their strengths and weaknesses but they are both fully viable and you can buy either tech with full confidence.

If you go to last year's models you're into the PZ800u series, PZ850u series and those are also excellent on mad sales just about anywhere right now. I would walk into stores and those Panasonics always stood out to me vs. any other TV even from across the entire store.

I've bought electronics through Amazon before and it's a very well run operation. No sales tax, either and you don't get raped on shipping charges. They're about as good as it gets for online.

Since Amazon is well known and authorized, a place like Best Buy WILL price match and compete with them if you show them proof, which is easy to do. These TVs are on sale pretty much everywhere at this point that you can buy good electronics.

The other Panasonics you were shown earlier in the thread are also very solid.

IMO...the best bargains for performance and quality are easily on the plasma side although LCD is making strides in that area.

Bottom line: There are ways to meet your budget and still get really good quality if you don't rule out plasma. :)

OK, we've come full circle, but Vizio also made a very decent plasma up until recently, when they started getting out of that (sadly) shrinking segment. I've seen the last of the VP505XVTs going new from ebay sellers for less than $1,000 -- which is pretty sweet for a 50-inch set. At list price, though, I'd definitely buy the Panny above.

I will absolutely check out the afformentioned plasmas.

And yes I agree the Panasonic prices are very, very good for the high end quality they represent.

I will not rule them out, and if I prefer the picture I'll rethink my budget.

Thanks for the info guys! It's greatly appreciated.

Just ordered and paid for my OPPO BDP-83. It should ship by the 15th.

I hope to look at flat screens and finalise my decision there this weekend, though it'll be about two weeks before I make the purchase.

Should be a major change from the 19" CRT TV and VCR/DVD combo I am currently using.

Just ordered and paid for my OPPO BDP-83. It should ship by the 15th.

Awesome!

I hope to look at flat screens and finalise my decision there this weekend, though it'll be about two weeks before I make the purchase.

Should be a major change from the 19" CRT TV and VCR/DVD combo I am currently using.

No exaggeration: It'll be a whole new world for you, and then some. :)

So last night I went into the city to check out the LCD and Plasma TVs.

My first stop was Sam's club, only because they had the Vizio 47" 1080P 120Hz. TV I had been thinking about, and a Panasonic 50" Viera Plasma as well.

As you can imagine it's not the optimal environment to audition TVs. However I was able to see some differences even in that environment. In that bright lighting the Vizio did look pretty good, especially when fed by a Blu-ray player.

Next stop was a local audio video store with a much better viewing room. Unfortunately they didn't have the Panasonic G10 series, but I was able to view LCD and Plasma side by side in a darker environment (as it will be in my viewing room). I did notice the Blacker background of the plasma immediately. I was also just blown away by Blu-ray (the latest Pirates of the Carribean). That's the first time I've seen a Blu-ray movie, and it was so much more incredible than I could have imagined. I really had no idea the technology had come so far.

Believe it or not my local Sears store had both the Vizio and Panasonic I wanted to pit against each other. They also had a pretty good viewing area due to several florecsent overhead lights being either turned off, or burnt out.

I even talked a salesman into moving the Vizio next to the 50"G10.

That decided it for me pretty quickly in terms of picture quality. While I will say the Vizio is a pretty decent TV, the Panasonic just had the better picture. The 'Blackground' was fantastic! And the colors were better in every respect.

Now Sears of coarse is pretty damned proud of that Panasonic, at $1,799 + 8% sales tax. That has to be factored into the decision, as I do have to maintain some resemblance of a budget.

After returning home and doing some more digging online however, I have found the Panasonic VIERA TC-P50G10 for as low as $1,394.00, shipping included.

When I add the sales tax I'd pay buying the Vizio locally, the value is much easier to see.

So in conclusion I have indeed decided the Panasonic VieraTC-P50G10 Plasma will soon be hanging on my wall.

Many thanks to all involved in showing me the options available!

BTW, the lifespan of the new G10 series is every bit as good as LCD. The power consumption and heat issues have also been greatly diminished.

That decided it for me pretty quickly in terms of picture quality. While I will say the Vizio is a pretty decent TV, the Panasonic just had the better picture. The 'Blackground' was fantastic! And the colors were better in every respect.

On the downside it will ruin your ability to watch TV at other people's houses. ;) I've got a Samsung LA46A950 which is one of the previous generation of LED models and when the screen goes black you can't really tell the TV is on as there is no glow at all. Once you get used to a display like that you won't be able to unsee the lack of true black on most TVs.

That's OK, I'm quite used to hearing music at friends houses too. All the time thinking "aren't they hearing the same distortion I'm hearing"?

Some of them even have themselves convinced that stuff like clothes for the children, little Jimmie's college fund & the mortgage payment are more important. I hope I never loose touch with reality like that. :P