OPPO BDP-83

Hopstretch

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my current DVD player didn't really suck I would just get the PS3. I think I will stay on the fence and see how the Oppo turns out.

My wife has a bunch of VHS tapes so we'll check out the Panasonic DMP-70V when it comes out. It should be a great bluray player and supposedly does a great job of upconverting VHS. If this is true, we'll definitely get one.

exactly what I was thinking too. I always wondered what the market was for those units.

What is available on VHS but not on DVD/BD?

Probably not much. But if you already have the VHS, why buy the DVD or BD. I guess I understand the BD if you really want it, but not DVD at all if a VHS tape can be made to have pretty much the same picture quality.

Probably not much. But if you already have the VHS, why buy the DVD or BD. I guess I understand the BD if you really want it, but not DVD at all if a VHS tape can be made to have pretty much the same picture quality.

I guess that really depends on how you do your TV/movie viewing ;)

With a screen that is 40"+ and a nice HT system it really helps to have the BD version for both sound and picture quality.

I guess that really depends on how you do your TV/movie viewing ;)

With a screen that is 40"+ and a nice HT system it really helps to have the BD version for both sound and picture quality.

Absolutely. But if you already have a large, legacy VHS collection, it won't be worth the cost to replace them all. With a player like this, you can upgrade the movies that you really love without losing the entire VHS collection.

Here is a mini-review. VHS is upconverted to 1080p. The reviewer says this:

"..., the BD70V makes standard VHS tapes look pretty sweet indeed. No, it's not the same as Blu-ray, or even a good DVD, but it's probably better than you've ever seen your old tapes look before."

So to us, it makes it worth the extra $100 to get the best from our VHS library. Of course, we'll test it out first to verify that the upconversion is worth the extra $100. If not, we'll keep a VHS player around.

It's past Tuesday already. Wondering if somebody went postal on the kids and dog and can't post till he makes bail...

Nothing so therapeutic. ;)

It did arrive, but at roughly the same time as a friendly rotavirus came home from preschool. So tweaking time has been limited.

Can say setup is dead easy, it's very speedy and the picture appears excellent with both DVDs and Blu-rays. Might be able to sit down with my son this afternoon and watch "Bolt", which arrived in an emergency Netflix care package yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

Its the tits with Blu-rays and DVDs. Great picture, great sound (I'm bitstreaming to an Integra 9.8 pre-pro), fast and very stable so far for me. The wife said she had a snag with the menus on "The Notebook" the other day, but that could easily just have been her. ;)

Seems from the AVS thread there have been some gripes about lip-synch and HDCD decoding, but neither have affected me. I definitely prefer the OPPO over the PS3 as a player -- which is a pretty decent compliment.

I haven't had any lip-synch issues either. Running mine to a Marantz SR7001 via HDMI for movies and SACD and using the analog out for CD's. I'm quite impressed. Probably the best $500 CD player I've heard as well. I was previously using a 980H in my living room for CD/SACD/DVD and a Sharp BD player. for music the bdp-83 is more detailed with a much larger soundstage. Almost as good as my modded Music Hall CD25

School's out and it was raining again today, so I enlisted the invaluable child-minding assistance of Buzz and Woody and spent the down time trying out a few SACDs on the BDP-83 in my HT system. HDMI only as the analog section in the 9.8 is notably crappy. They sounded damn good!

No operational hitches at all after installing the latest firmware. Looks like this cake is mostly baked. And boy is it a superb video player! "The Return Of The King" on DVD looks so good -- even at 110" -- that I'll probably hestitate (for about three seconds) before springing for the Blu-ray LOTR transfers.

Integra 9.8? That's too bad, I was hoping it was good. You should get it modded.

I never intended to use it with analog inputs, so it doesn't bother me. And the compensation is that the digital side is excellent.

And 110"?!?!? How far away do you have to sit from it to get a coherent (non-pixilized) picture? And do you?

About 12 feet. It's an LCOS projector so you'd have to pretty much have to have your nose up against the screen to see pixel structure.