OPPO BDP-83

Hopstretch

Just an entry level RX-V365.

If I get interested in home theater again I plan to upgrade to Emotiva's Pre/Pro, 7.1 Amp and speakers.

The little Emotiva ERM-1 speakers I bought for my desk arrived yesterday, and I'm very impressed. Fit, finish and SQ are unbelievable for a speaker costing $149.00 ea. (sale).

But as you can see from the pics below, I really don't have room currently to have speakers on stands. Yes, this setup is in my bedroom. That's where I like to watch movies.

surroundsystem0081077x8.jpg

surroundsystem0101077x8.jpg

The Plasma will mount on the wall directly above the Red speaker box, and be tilted downward. I'll be moving one of my powered subs over to this system too.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two AV123 UFW-10 500 Watt active subs. I'll use one of them in the 5.1 system.

The other will be used with the ERM-1s.

If I end up upgrading to the Emotiva setup, I'd most likely buy a 15" sub.

Hey Steve, I just remembered :palm:

I have a sub I could work you a deal on. I'll never use it, and it's way to heavy to ship. It's a 15" (I think) Citation THX sub (Harmon Kardon's upper end line, I believe). Really nice. It's been moved around a bit, but it doesn't show too much.

I suppose we never had a formal agreement for the ribbon speakers, I'd be willing to trade it straight-up for that labor in a heart beat :)

Hey Steve, I just remembered :palm:

I have a sub I could work you a deal on. I'll never use it, and it's way to heavy to ship. It's a 15" (I think) Citation THX sub (Harmon Kardon's upper end line, I believe). Really nice. It's been moved around a bit, but it doesn't show too much.

I suppose we never had a formal agreement for the ribbon speakers, I'd be willing to trade it straight-up for that labor in a heart beat :)

Sounds promising. I'm in no hurry yet though. I still need to decide if I want to build a real surround system again. Last I played around with them was late '80s - early '90s, and video was the weak link then. That's certainly not the case now.

Let me know how the Yamaha turns out. I'm interested in that line by Yamaha as well as Onkyo's receivers.

Will do. I keep hoping to see a delivery driver pull up. The TV shipping was free, but no tracking. :(

The Plasma TV arrived yesterday. By the time I got a friend over to help me set it up on the wall mount it was pretty late. I did watch part of a Blu-ray movie however, and even without any setup on the TV or Blu-ray player, it was pretty awesome.

Today will be spent setting up and dialing in the TV, Oppo and receiver. There's a lot to read first.

plasmatv1077x808.jpg

Looking good! Any particular reason you decided to mount it up so high, Steve?

Yeah, I'm laying in my bed when I'm watching, and I don't really like to sit up. This worked out great with the little CRT TV I had before, and last nights quick viewing proved to be quite comfy as well.

It's tilted down as far as the mount will allow (I'd estimate about 5 degrees), and that really seems just about perfect.

Just redid the HT system with Oppo BDP-83. I initially started with a digital output going to Outlaw 990, and used it that way for a couple of days. However, I got a shock when switching to the analog multi-channel outputs of the BDP-83. The Oppo is clearly a better audio processor than the Outlaw on just about any video sound format I tried, down to Dolby 2.0. The hi-rez lossless formats are something else again. I was considering upgrading the Outlaw when their new hi-end processor come out, but am not so sure anymore. 7.1 analog passthrough may well be good enough with this player, in which case the 990 is fine.

The main benefit of an upgrade to the new Outlaw would be to get Trinnov room correction -- which is reportedly absolutely outstanding, though how well it will be implemented in these new processors remains to be seen.

The first new Sherwood-Newcastle receivers (which Outlaw's model is based off) are just trickling in to dealers now, so there should be some reliable reports soon.

The main benefit of an upgrade to the new Outlaw would be to get Trinnov room correction -- which is reportedly absolutely outstanding, though how well it will be implemented in these new processors remains to be seen.

The first new Sherwood-Newcastle receivers (which Outlaw's model is based off) are just trickling in to dealers now, so there should be some reliable reports soon.

I am waiting to see how they are reviewed. I think it is time to retire the Rotel 1068. Right now it looks like I will either get the Outlaw 997 or the Integra DHC-9.9. I haven't been a huge fan of the Outlaw Pre-Pro's in the past as they always seemed one step behind the curve. No HDMI on the 990 was just stupid and pig-headed.

Yeah, thanks. Good read. Side note: this phrase though caught my attention:

I dusted off the few DVDs I have left in my collection...

Have we really moved that far already? I mean considering how many titles aren't available on Blu-ray (not to mention old titles that likely would benefit little)? Man, I've bought over 60 titles in DVD box sets recently (many new to DVD and far from, if ever, on Blu-ray). That phrase, from someone who obviously loves film, is a little scary.

Have we really moved that far already? I mean considering how many titles aren't available on Blu-ray (not to mention old titles that likely would benefit little)?

Well, Kris's forum sig is "If it's not in HD, I'm not buying it." So he's probably something of an outlier. :)

In terms of mainstream live action movies/TV series I'm only buying Blu-ray at this point. No DVDs. If something new I want is DVD-only then I'll skip it and wait for the inevitable BD release. For the more film festival-type titles I may make an exception and buy a DVD simply because BD versions may be years away, but in most cases I'll wait for a BD release.

For anime about half the Japanese discs I'm buying new are Blu-ray and the only reason I'm buying some on DVD is because they're shows that are unlikely to ever become available on BD.

In terms of my collection in it's entirety though it'd still be over 90% DVD even today so Kris's Blu-ray adoption must exceed mine quite substantially.

I've quit buying movies for the time being, and am a good percentage of the way through the process of ripping them all to my itunes library. I'll wait for HD until there's a decent at-home on-a-mac solution to hd ripping.

I've quit buying movies for the time being, and am a good percentage of the way through the process of ripping them all to my itunes library. I'll wait for HD until there's a decent at-home on-a-mac solution to hd ripping.

It's funny. I am PC Audio all the way on the sound side. But I still like my physical media for video. HTPCs are still way, way too fiddly for me and -- as a finicky viewer -- downloads involve too many resolution/compression compromises at this point and probably will for a while yet. An it-just-works Mac solution might see me drifting to the dark side, though.

My setup is pretty close to it just works at this point, tho there are still some quirks to how the output files turn out. I use handbrake universal setting, and I've been pretty happy. The kids are able to use the apple tv to watch their movies upstairs, which I can control with my iphone from anywhere in the house, and we can watch a LOT of variety of things using plex on the mac mini on the main tv.