OPPO BDP-83

Hopstretch

I'm happy with a HDX-1000 based solution for my video bits. Given that it can play DVD ISO images (upsampling over hdmi) directly off its internal hard drive, or off a network share, it removes the need to spin shiny discs in the viewing area. Latest firmware has DTS stereo downmix, using the transporter as a DAC, just because, so the 12" Celestions in the Ditton 66's work fine, removing the need for a subwoofer, or can use via (Balanced) headphones so as not to annoy the neighbors in the next apartment. Also handles mkv files for higher resolution stuff. I'm happy.

Video review: http://videos.cnet.co.uk/39041832.htm

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point I probably watch 80% of the DVDs and downloads on my 13" MacBook in bed, even though there's a large monitor and Audioengines feet away and a much better dedicated video setup in the next room. Maybe it's the films I tend to drift towards (no, not that type), but it does seem a video equivalent to headphones. Intimacy and all that. Plus gives a bit of the feeling of sneaking a book here and there even if it's only a few scenes before falling asleep. Course it's also responsible for getting to work a bit late occasionally.

Yeah, thanks. Good read. Side note: this phrase though caught my attention:

Have we really moved that far already? I mean considering how many titles aren't available on Blu-ray (not to mention old titles that likely would benefit little)? Man, I've bought over 60 titles in DVD box sets recently (many new to DVD and far from, if ever, on Blu-ray). That phrase, from someone who obviously loves film, is a little scary.

I was reading the BD thread at SH, and I seem to agree with most that say BD is a action/blockbuster lover's dream come true right now, rather than a film lovers dream. I really enjoy the format (especially with Netflix), but I find myself coming back to DVD the majority of the time since the films I watch aren't on BD.

I was reading the BD thread at SH, and I seem to agree with most that say BD is a action/blockbuster lover's dream come true right now, rather than a film lovers dream. I really enjoy the format (especially with Netflix), but I find myself coming back to DVD the majority of the time since the films I watch aren't on BD.

Hmmm, not being a big action/blockbuster guy I'm not sure I totally agree.

I purchased the BBC Planet Earth series on BD and it's absolutely fantastic. I consider it a reference disc. Also I own Apocalypto and Pan's Labyrinth on BD, and those are also just incredible as compared to the DVD counterparts.

So really I consider movies with really good cinematography as a great choice for BD. Also great soundtracks, as BDs audio is far superior to DVD IMO.

Edited by swt61

Hmmm, not being a big action/blockbuster guy I'm not sure I totally agree.

I purchased the BBC Planet Earth series on BD and it's absolutely fantastic. I consider it a reference disc. Also I own Apocalypto and Pan's Labyrinth on BD, and those are also just incredible as compared to the DVD counterparts.

So really I consider movies with really good cinematography as a great choice for BD. Also great soundtracks, as BDs audio is far superior to DVD IMO.

I think finding good films on BD is an exception more than the rule. There are plenty of good films (the remastered Godfather series is very good), but there are still loads that will take forever or never make their way onto the format.

Pan's Labyrinth is also a very popular foreign film, which is why it probably made its way onto the format.

Apocalypto could have been incredible, if it had been made by someone who had the slightest clue about Maya history and archaeology. or by someone who wasn't batshit crazy.

Agreed, and don't even get me started on Mel Gibson, but the cinematography is really good.

Just redid the HT system with Oppo BDP-83. I initially started with a digital output going to Outlaw 990, and used it that way for a couple of days. However, I got a shock when switching to the analog multi-channel outputs of the BDP-83. The Oppo is clearly a better audio processor than the Outlaw on just about any video sound format I tried, down to Dolby 2.0. The hi-rez lossless formats are something else again. I was considering upgrading the Outlaw when their new hi-end processor come out, but am not so sure anymore. 7.1 analog passthrough may well be good enough with this player, in which case the 990 is fine.
Why do you need a processor at all, if it has volume control functionality?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had my Oppo 83 for about two weeks and it is fantastic. Super fast, not as loud as the PS3, and standard DVDs look damn close to Bluray in quality. I almost prefer DVD simply because they fill the screen instead of being 2.35 letterboxed like BD.

I have it going into my Pioneer SC-05 AVR to the Kuro 141FD display... it's Nirvana up in here :D

I've had my Oppo 83 for about two weeks and it is fantastic. Super fast, not as loud as the PS3, and standard DVDs look damn close to Bluray in quality. I almost prefer DVD simply because they fill the screen instead of being 2.35 letterboxed like BD.

I have it going into my Pioneer SC-05 AVR to the Kuro 141FD display... it's Nirvana up in here :D

I wonder how the new "slim" PS3 will compare to the Oppo. It is supposed to be much quieter than the the old PS3. Also, it is now only $299 which seems like a deal. I have liked both upconverting Oppo's that I have bought in the past (980 and 970). However, they both started making some noise after owning them for some time (6 months?) which is annoying. I am thinking of getting the PS3 since then I can replace my Popcorn Hour network media tank, PS2 and Oppo 980 with 1 piece of equipment (and have a lot fewer cords). Since I only have a 40" tv, I doubt it will make much difference on the Blu-ray disks.

I wonder how the new "slim" PS3 will compare to the Oppo. It is supposed to be much quieter than the the old PS3. Also, it is now only $299 which seems like a deal. I have liked both upconverting Oppo's that I have bought in the past (980 and 970). However, they both started making some noise after owning them for some time (6 months?) which is annoying. I am thinking of getting the PS3 since then I can replace my Popcorn Hour network media tank, PS2 and Oppo 980 with 1 piece of equipment (and have a lot fewer cords). Since I only have a 40" tv, I doubt it will make much difference on the Blu-ray disks.

Uhh as far as I know there are only a select number of PS3's that can play PS2 games with the new slim not being one of them.