OPPO BDP-83

Hopstretch

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright now that I have my TV sitting much closer I went and watched GITS SAC 2nd Gig: Individual Eleven, specifically paying attention to image flaws. I only saw a faint amount of color banding in a couple scenes, but the mosquito noise was very noticable nearly all the time, and by far was the biggest flaw in the video quality. I wonder if there are any decent region-free players that have mosquito noise reduction; eventually I would certainly like to see high quality productions like GITS SAC on Blu-Ray (and I mean a proper release, not just an upconverted DVD as I heard the Yukikaze release was...), but some good noise reduction would probably do wonders for all the DVDs I already own many of which I either wouldn't want to buy again or won't get released on Blu-Ray anyways.

Well the Oppo BDP-83 is due to arrive Friday, as is the 5.1 inwall speaker set and Yamaha 5.1 receiver.

Today I placed the order for the Panasonic VIERA TC-P50G10 50" Plasma. That should arrive within two weeks. That should give me time to mount the speakers, pull the wires through the walls etc...

I ended up finding the Panasonic for $1,394.00. A pretty good bargain considering shipping was included.

It won't be long now until I'm enjoying some great Blu-ray playback! :)

The Oppo arrived. Quality looking unit, but without a TV as of yet that's all I can say for now.

I had HD Satellite installed yesterday, and I'm building some wall boxes for the speakers tomorrow. Will most likely get Tivo HD soon too.

Soon, very soon. :)

ditto on the packaging...

was easy to setup for dad 'til we got to the test disc...that looks like it'll take some time/patience...he wanted to watch the U.S. Open & a couple of the three auto races so i didn't get to see Gran Torino (i can spell now)...maybe some other time...

i see NAD's got a new blu-ray player for over twice the price of the OPPO...i have a hard time believing it's any better...

The Oppo arrived. Quality looking unit, but without a TV as of yet that's all I can say for now.

I had HD Satellite installed yesterday, and I'm building some wall boxes for the speakers tomorrow. Will most likely get Tivo HD soon too.

Soon, very soon. :)

Have you checked out the Moxi HD DVR? Have not had much time to really research it, but the little bit I have read about it on other forums, it is supposed to be a serious competitor to Tivo.

http://www.moxi.com/us/tivo_vs_moxi.html

swt61, or anyone else, have any thoughts of this for use as SACD player now and Blu-ray player for some point in the future? Also if you can navigate without TV connection (at least after initial setup)? Anyone got a feel for the internal DAC yet (though I see you can output DSD or converted PCM signal)? Received my "priority ordering" email this morning.

swt61, or anyone else, have any thoughts of this for use as SACD player now and Blu-ray player for some point in the future? Also if you can navigate without TV connection (at least after initial setup)? Anyone got a feel for the internal DAC yet (though I see you can output DSD or converted PCM signal)? Received my "priority ordering" email this morning.

I've not even powered it up yet. My plasma TV should be here soon, and I'll put it through the paces then.

I definitely will try it as an SACD player, but probably not until my Beta22 is back in my system. By then I may also have the Buffalo32 DAC as well.

Sorry, my bad. As I said, I really have not had the time to research it much. Did not know it was for cable only.

No problem. It looked promising until I read the last part.

I guess all of the HD units replace the satelite HD receivers? Is there an HD DVR that just loops through like an old VCR?

No problem. It looked promising until I read the last part.

I guess all of the HD units replace the satelite HD receivers? Is there an HD DVR that just loops through like an old VCR?

I know a couple of people that are using computers with hd capture cards.

EDIT: One of them just walked in. The computer with capture card idea works with over-the-air transmissions. It looks like you are locked into Dish networks equipment.