My very own Beta 22 thread

Smeggy

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys! I have the sigma out of the cast for testing and repairs, should I order a matching set of 4 resistors? I don't know what brand the blown ones are. I don't suppose it matters too much but I'd prefer to remove as few components as I can.

thanks, will get the orderved post-haste.. with spares :)

The biggest cost of your order will probably be the shipping. I suggest that you look at the BOM and also order spares for other potentially damaged parts while you are at it. Buying parts as you need them is cost prohibitive.

heh, I have no idea why they failed aside from me maybe tweaking the trimpots wrongly and cooking something so rinse/repeat is all I can think of right now.

On another matter of the Beta, If I wanted to route the speaker signal to a couple of different devices internally (stax, sony transfo boxes and XLR for K1000) can I use 4 pin XLRs to swap speaker outputs?

So.. Binding post bananas to XLR male > Fem XLR 1,2,3 on the back > Stax, Sony and Front panel XLR phones or are XLRs not rated for the 18wpc these dish out.

On another matter of the Beta, If I wanted to route the speaker signal to a couple of different devices internally (stax, sony transfo boxes and XLR for K1000) can I use 4 pin XLRs to swap speaker outputs?

So.. Binding post bananas to XLR male > Fem XLR 1,2,3 on the back > Stax, Sony and Front panel XLR phones or are XLRs not rated for the 18wpc these dish out.

sounds reasonable but i would recommend a switch between the HP and speaker so that you don't have to unplug speakers to listen unless of course 90% of the time this will be your headphone amp ..dB

heh, I have no idea why they failed aside from me maybe tweaking the trimpots wrongly and cooking something so rinse/repeat is all I can think of right now.

That's why I ended up ordering the Eddie Current ZDT - can drive my Stax transformer and K1000 and headphones.

Yeah, it's all going to be headphones but a number of them require speaker power. It will not be used with actual speakers. Front panel normal phones, hi-power XLR and two 'stat transformers. I don't see any reason the XLRs wouldn't be fine for this but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something like I have before. ;)

Thankee kindly dear sir :)

Just looked, seems we (you) got it right first time :)

That big-ass toroid only just squeezed in that case, it's a very tight fit. One more mm and I wouldn't be able to close the lid!

Edited by Smeggy

Thankee kindly dear sir :)

Just looked, seems we (you) got it right first time :)

That big-ass toroid only just squeezed in that case, it's a very tight fit. One more mm and I wouldn't be able to close the lid!

You will need to be very careful with the mounting bolt if it is that tight, as contact with the case on both ends of the bolt will result in a shorted turn... something you definitely do not want.

You will need to be very careful with the mounting bolt if it is that tight, as contact with the case on both ends of the bolt will result in a shorted turn... something you definitely do not want.

I fired a PSU doing that earlier this week so be careful!!

Hmm, didn't know that. It's not touching the top plate but only just. Is it ok to use a sheet of something over the bolt/washer to prevent metal contact? Sticky back vinyl damping sheet for nstance just as a layer of safety?

It'd be a better idea to just drill a hole in the top cover of the case. It's a trafo enclosure, who gives a poo if it has a hole in the top?