PS Audio PerfectWave DAC

I thought the Bridge was to be discounted for the early PWD owners

Sounds a little vague at this point from the newsletter:

We’ll do our best to keep it low and we’ll do our best to honor those of you who own PWD’s now.

If I were reading this and considering the options, I’d certainly make sure I bought my PWD before the Bridge is released in June to get first crack at the Bridge at the lowest possible price. Once it’s out anyone buying the Bridge afterwards will be charged a higher price, whatever that is. I don’t yet know what the final price will be. We should know soon.

Originally Posted by PS Audio Newsletter

We’ll do our best to keep it low and we’ll do our best to honor those of you who own PWD’s now.

If I were reading this and considering the options, I’d certainly make sure I bought my PWD before the Bridge is released in June to get first crack at the Bridge at the lowest possible price. Once it’s out anyone buying the Bridge afterwards will be charged a higher price, whatever that is. I don’t yet know what the final price will be. We should know soon.

I ran this through Steve's BS translator and here's what came out:

Bend over :eek:

• 1 month later...

Dealers are taking orders for the bridge now or in the very near future. The price will be $599 for people who bought and registered a PWD already. Not sure what happens if you buy a PWD between now and when the Bridge actually comes out. The normal price will be $799. I emailed Ron from Liquid HiFi and he get me the info right away.

• 3 weeks later...

They're not shipping the Betas until July 26th (supposedly), so I don't think that they'll be shipping at that point. Late august, maybe.

Since the beta is primarily for the Firmware if things go well the beta testing could only last for a few weeks, but at this point that is just conjecture.

• 3 weeks later...

The beta bridges have shipped. I'll likely receive mine next Wednesday. I did receive the software for the iPad that I'll probably install this weekend. Need to buy and install Twonky on my server too.

Should be interesting.

Hello All, The Bridge has landed. If you would like to follow all of the Beta testers trials and tribulations there is a Beta Testers Blog that is totally open to the Public. I'll give PS Audio credit where credit is due. Their goal is a beta Test that is totally transparent, and it is.

FYI- I'm Ethan

http://www.psaudio.com/betablog/

Edited by Yikes
Added URL

• 2 weeks later...

I found out today that as of August 15th, authorized PS Audio dealers in the country including Audio Advisor and Music Direct on the Internet, are running a promotion where you can get up to $1000 worth of trade in value towards the purchase of either a Perfectwave DAC or a Perfectwave Transport.

$1000 is the most you can get per piece of equipment and it has to be a 1:1 ratio and confined to DACs, Transports, CD players, and DVD players on trade. They determine by condition of unit and MSRP of unit.

Promotion runs until about the end of October.

Doesn't count for B-Stock. New units only. The only downside is I'd still be out three grand upfront for the DAC and then the $1000 would come back to me after I send in the trade in unit and assuming all was well with it.

I'm casually thinking about it. Plenty of time to stew on it. I figured I'd give you all the heads up.

How are you owners getting along these days?

Hello All, The Bridge has landed. If you would like to follow all of the Beta testers trials and tribulations there is a Beta Testers Blog that is totally open to the Public. I'll give PS Audio credit where credit is due. Their goal is a beta Test that is totally transparent, and it is.

FYI- I'm Ethan

[url=http://www.psaudio.com/betablog/]PS Audio's Betablog

I wonder how this PWD would match up against the Wyred4 W4S DAC-2?

I've seen some people float the idea that the DAC-2 is essentially a PWD without the pretty touchscreen and arguably a better "value/bang for the buck."

I have no idea if any of that is actually true or not. They both look like awesome pieces of gear that a person couldn't go wrong with either way.

What do you all think? I might get in a situation before too long where I would have some demoing opportunities.

Noob question: If I bought either of these pieces...I have several high quality HDMI 1.3b cables here already. Can these be used for I2S?

Edited by Eric5676
add

Noob question: If I bought either of these pieces...I have several high quality HDMI 1.3b cables here already. Can these be used for I2S?

Yes, they can certainly be used. The HDMI cable doesn't have to be super expensive either, as PS Audio's HDMI I2S output is differential.

I wonder how this PWD would match up against the Wyred4 W4S DAC-2?

I've seen some people float the idea that the DAC-2 is essentially a PWD without the pretty touchscreen and arguably a better "value/bang for the buck."

I have no idea if any of that is actually true or not. They both look like awesome pieces of gear that a person couldn't go wrong with either way.

What do you all think? I might get in a situation before too long where I would have some demoing opportunities.

Now I find this very interesting, especially since Wyred also has the DAC-1 which is supposed to be the same as its bigger brother minus the hi-rez playback. But that's a moot point for me as all my digital music is redbook extracted. I also like the Wyred's small foot print (looks like the Bel Canto DAC3).

I don't need flashy touchscreens adding to cost...

Now I find this very interesting, especially since Wyred also has the DAC-1 which is supposed to be the same as its bigger brother minus the hi-rez playback. But that's a moot point for me as all my digital music is redbook extracted. I also like the Wyred's small foot print (looks like the Bel Canto DAC3).

I don't need flashy touchscreens adding to cost...

Let me repeat one point from my earlier post just to be safe: "I have no idea if any of that is actually true or not."

I looked at the Wyred thread here via search and was a little surprised at some of the strong negativity I saw in there including from at least one person that I saw wrote "It sucks" and then he went and bought a PWD that I suspect he's still very happy with.

So, I honestly don't know up or down. I just think there's maybe a little intruige there, even if I swim through the uber positive Wyred reviews that were predictable by most and see mention made that a couple of the gentlemen that work for Wyred used to work for PS Audio and there's some of the same OEM and so forth. (Did I get that right?)