PS Audio PerfectWave DAC

I don't know if I have bad ears or what but I honestly can't really tell much of a difference in these filters. Maybe a slight difference in how harsh some recordings might sound...but I really have to strain to tell the difference on my speaker setup. I've long since given up and just stick with the auto setting on mine. There is a bigger difference in switching inputs in my opinion.

Yup, these filters seem a little like marketing gimmick in my eyes….like a lot of other BS out there in the audiophile world. Speaking of which, I have still yet to be really impressed with any USB 24/192 solutions out there which is why I’m kinda curious as to the different approach that PS Audio is taking compared to most of the competition.

For me the biggest benefit of this DAC is the bridge despite people’s love/hate relationship with it. I just love not having to futz with my computer all the time to play music. Just whip out my iPad, browse my library at the comfort of my couch and listen to music J I’ve found J.River to be a great media streamer / manager for the Bridge. You should also download an iphone/ipad app called ‘My River’. It works with J.River only but does so much better of a job presenting your music library than eLyric does.

J.River (the program that runs on windows) can read a DLNA library if I’m correct and also control a DLNA renderer like the PWD.

My River (the app for iphone) needs to have J.River media server running on a computer to be used. It actually hooks into the J.River library system (not DLNA) and so has all sorts of benefits like blistering fast cover art, reading local playlists, changing ratings, etc. which can’t be done with a regular DLNA library.

iPadPromo.png

iPhonePromo.png

Yup, NASes are cool since you don't have to deal with leaving a computer on but I there is so much more flexibility to having an actual PC running instead with all sorts of services on it. I have an old laptop that I just use as a server and it happens to be quieter than most NAS units out there. The lid stays closed and it's connected to a 3TB USB drive which has all my flac files as well as movies / tv shows. This lets me run eLyric, J.River, Plex Server, and PS3 Media Server to serve all my media related needs wink.png

Edited by monsieurguzel

• 1 month later...

So with everyone buying these things my interest has been peaked again. I'm reading a lot of conflicting info on the Bridge (from format support and order of file uncompression - streaming 24/192 WAV seems asking for network issues, to general functionality concerns - and even a few "everyone knows this has been underspec'ed since the beginning" comments). Course many of those assertions were made early when everything was more widely discussed. Now even the digital lens advantage is possibly lessening if ever upgraded to mk II (where digital lens gets applied to all inputs... I think). So anyone have any additional thoughts on the Bridge versus sticking with a Squeezebox Touch (24/96 limited)?

Damn, I was enjoying vinyl.

Edited by blessingx

Ric

• Does it support lossless gapless playback? (The Rio Karma managed this back 2003 - anything that can't do this with today's hardware / software is broken in my opinion )
  • Can you reliably (i.e. double blind, at statistically significant levels), detect differences between 24/192 + 24/96 samples from the same master, on the same hardware ? ( or even have a preference (Nyquist–Shannon + the thresholds of human hearing would suggest not))
  • How much source material is there with audio content above 48Khz ?
  • What makes you happy?

Try capturing some samples of Esme to see if its the source material , or the playback chain that's more important :)

Edited by Grahame

• Does it support lossless gapless playback? (The Rio Karma managed this back 2003 - anything that can't do this with today's hardware / software is broken in my opinion )

Damn, for all the issues I've had with it, I do miss my Rio Karma (and lossless gapless playback was precisely the reason I bought it).

Edited by Salt Peanuts

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Necroing for advice...paddles charged...CLEAR!

Just bought one of these a few months ago, but now suddenly I have downgrade fever—something I never knew existed.

I'm using it on my work system—I think it's both overkill and underutilized. It sounds great, but I'm using my MacBook Air with Amarra/Pure Music/whateverthefuck as a source and serving it out via USB to the thing. I tried the network bridge and it definitely sounds better using that, but I prefer using my MacBook to play music. In any case, not using the bridge is me not taking full advantage of its capability...and I'm also tired of tweaking with firmware revisions and all that.

If I sell, I could partially fund a new headphone amp (the GS-X) and an NAD M51 or Oppo 105.

Is this a Bad Idea?

Edited by cutestory