Kitty Talk

Dusty Chalk

You guys are so awesome. Tears me up all afresh. Let's hope I sleep a little better tonight - I only got four hours last night.

He was actually my daughter's cat, and when she went to Australia three years ago, we adopted him. I phoned her as soon as a I got the call from the Vet, and we bawled half a world away into our hankies.

• Sad 4

How stupid am I.  I found the papers for the cats, today.  The crazy old lady at the SPCA "Kitty City" had told me that Dunhill was 8, and I never actually double-checked.  He was born in mid-December, 2008. He was 10. I am not going to get as much time with him as I thought, and I am shocked by that. I guess we'll have fewer dances to soul music, he and I. Silver is two, just like I thought.

Dunhill is by far the best thing in my life, at the moment.  New girlfriend would agree, I'm sure. 

Dunhill is by far the best thing in anybody-who-he-has-met's life. He's like if there was a "joy" infinity stone, and I have that stone, and that stone sleeps on my bed.

Silver has not done well with all the people who have passed through, but Dunhill is mine. He doesn't care as long as he can plant his butt against my hip at 2 AM. 

I thought he was 8.

IMG_0097.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

What a great looking cat, Jacob. He might well have a very long life still ahead of him. Our (remaining) cat Cleo is 16, nearly 17 and is still going strong. Eats like a horse. Because she is so old she is not so spry and cannot get out of the garden now. Which is a good thing given current circumstances with poor Cheese.

My daughter says that cats leave paw prints on your soul. So true.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 3

Luvbug was 21 when she passed.  She spent most of her last few years in her retirement home, but there was still a joyful connection there.

6 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Dunhill is by far the best thing in anybody-who-he-has-met's life. He's like if there was a "joy" infinity stone, and I have that stone, and that stone sleeps on my bed.

Quoted for appreciation.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to cut Dunhill's front nails, tonight.  It went better than I expected!  He just does't scratch the scratchy things, or anything else.  It was no big deal.

Silver has conjunctivitis in one eye.  I have been giving her medicated eye drops, the last couple days.  I think she has figured out that the slight pain of the eye drops means something good, because I got this, today.  She has NEVER jumped up and let me pet her on the sofa, before.  I pet her every day, more than I want to sometimes, but always before at ankle level. I got this for 30 seconds.  

57905932473__A6AAFCBD-A630-4406-9AED-33A4BEDE9BF2.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 3

Silver's eye seems to be completely healed (she has one day left of drops, and I will dutifully apply), but she has learned that she gets attention, so she has been blinking at me.  Sometimes with the wrong eye.

She is a very smart cat. She emulates Dunhill's "Come give me treats goddammnit" sound, because she noticed that it was somewhat successful. I figured it out when I told "Dunhill" to shut up, only to find that he had been sleeping behind me on the sofa the whole time. This makes sense only if you've seen my sofa.  From the divot, you can see where I like to sit.  The cats like to get behind me.  The majority of the sofa belongs to the cats.  Italian!

57869983848__7D6FA816-2A40-4118-A283-EDFFE8F6C431.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having to give Dunhill eye drops.  He HATES it.  He didn't sleep on the bed with me, last night, over it. That about broke me.  It was even worse that he seems to have gone out of his way to not spend time with me today.  I guess he has finally forgiven me, now, as he has jumped up next to me and gotten very comfy looking. His eye looks a lot better, too! 

Are infectious eye issues a thing, or did I just get unlucky?

62423200_652417691899985_8699012493437042688_o.jpg

VERY COMFY
IMG_0483.thumb.jpeg.498ee3c662cb9bdcaa4c3b6429074b17.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

18 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

I think you just got unlucky. We've had 7 cats over the years, and although we have had vets bills as a result of injuries from fighting other cats, we have not had any eye infections.

But I can see that getting drops into a cat's eyes is a pretty fraught exercise!

Dunhill is incredibly docile.  He lets me pick him up and dance with him for long periods of time with no complaints. He still protested heavily with the drops.  He is welded to my hip, right now (and badly wants me to go to bed, where I will be going in a moment), so I guess it worked out okay, in the end. His eye seems much better.  One more day of drops (he has been okay after that first day; just like Silver, I think he figured out that the drops were helping, even if they weren't exactly pleasant).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dunhill has been sick the last few days.  My neighborhood had a parade, and I couldn't get to my usual vet.  Went to the vet where my mother used to take her dogs.  They don't take walk-ins.  I didn't know that.  They took us.  Three shots later, and the puking has stopped and he is hungry again.  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Dunhill has recovered, though it took a while to get back to 100%.  I am going on a trip, at the end of this week, and I am taking them with me.  It's just five days, and I'd normally have my cat friend (who loves these kitties nearly as much as I do, and always refuses pay) check on them every day, but she's also going out of town.  Dunhill and Silver act like three miles in the car is murder, so I'm sure 450 miles will be just fine. I have bought new carriers that are made for the car and have seatbelt attachments and pads.  I'm assuming they will eventually settle down?

Also, my orientation for volunteering at the local SPCA Kitty City (where I got my two monsters) is set for September 7th.  I am excited about it!

• Like 3

I am visiting my girlfriend, in Greensboro, North Carolina.  I travelled with the cats, as I mentioned. They did INCREDIBLY well.  I wish I could somehow tell them just how proud I am of them, but all I can do is love them, which I was doing anyway.  We are in a "tiny-house."  It works pretty well, but the cats aren't comfortable with the very steep stairs up to the loft, where the bed is, so they have just been staying downstairs.  They don't love that, as they are used to sleeping on my bed, but it's not the end of the world. They seem content enough.  Maybe a little bored, as there isn't a lot of room, though I brought toys and scratchers, and all of their favorite things, and I've been giving them as much attention as I can.  

We (Heather and I, not me and the cats) were supposed to go to a concert tonight, in Asheville, but I didn't feel comfortable leaving them alone, with all the changes that have happened, so I stayed (I sent Heather on, and it was apparently a good show [Will Oldham, so I wish I could have gone]).  They seemed to appreciate that.

They are SUCH good kitties.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That cat was listed as a "difficult" cat, when I got her.  She isn't the nicest cat in the world, but I think she is pretty pleasant.  I wake up most mornings with her on my pillow, chirping in my face.

My first SPCA volunteer day had me holding and cleaning up after a pair of 9 week-old kittens.  That was a good Saturday afternoon. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 4