DIY Phono Stages

DigiPete

Pete, I have a great cheap, modded cdp, I'm going to sell. Jp has heard it. It's a Cambridge 640P with a bunch of mods including the power supply. I'm going to sell to fund at Sonic Studio 302.

Four op amps replaced with National LM 4562 op amps

Coupling caps (.01 UF) replaced with larger bypass caps (.22 UP Polyprop)

All power supply caps replaced with Nichicon caps and by passed with .01 UF Wilma MKP caps.

Power supply diodes replaced with low noise Schottky type 100v diodes and by passed with .01 UF Wilma MKP caps.

High frequency bypass caps on the op amps, which were ceramic disk type are replaced with silver mica caps.

Edited by tyrion

Pete, I have a great cheap, 640 P phono stage, I'm going to sell. Jp has heard it. It's a Cambridge 640P with a bunch of mods including the power supply. I'm going to sell to fund at Sonic Studio 302.

Four op amps replaced with National LM 4562 op amps

Coupling caps (.01 UF) replaced with larger bypass caps (.22 UP Polyprop)

All power supply caps replaced with Nichicon caps and by passed with .01 UF Wilma MKP caps.

Power supply diodes replaced with low noise Schottky type 100v diodes and by passed with .01 UF Wilma MKP caps.

High frequency bypass caps on the op amps, which were ceramic disk type are replaced with silver mica caps.

Not really a phono stage though, is it?

I Object! By "modded cdp", my colleague clearly meant "modded 640P" phono stage. Move to strike your snarky remark[y].

What's a little "P" between friends? :P

Edited by tyrion

Just to point out, I already have a very good fully discrete phono stage: the Pass Pearl

So I'm looking to see what would get me solidly into the high end in terms of sonic reproduction/performance from a DIY offering.

Spedifically want a stage with 60+db of gain, dont think I want a xformer step up, or tube step up in the first stage.

Mike thanks for thinking of me with your Cambridge unit.

Colin thanks for the info.

I wonder if Luvdunhill, Nate and Kevin Gilmore could also weigh in of the +/- of the K&K offering, or something better.

Cheers

Pete

I'd look at the Borbely phono stages, as well as the newer Pass designs that can be modified to be DC coupled. If tubes are your thing, consider the Alan Wright designs. The real question is how much gain do you need, and do you have an opposition to step-ups, or LCR RIAA transformers. edit: I fail at reading comprehension. Look at the Wright designs and the Borbely designs. However, the below still applies.

The noise specs on the Pass designs is as good as you can get from a discrete design, IMHO.

Edited by luvdunhill