Mobile Phone-like Device

The Monkey

As posted in another thread, the coverage offered by AT&T in Manhattan (especially lower Manhattan) is laughable. My iPhone will continue to suffice for personal email and stupid apps, but now I need something that will actually work as a phone.

I was considering a blackberry, as I have grown accustomed to them and find them excellent. However, I don't really want to pay for the data plan, and I won't have corporate support for email, so that seems to be a waste.

So I'm thinking that I need one of them smart phones? I'd like something that is a solid phone, and ideally with a keyboard so I can text without learning to type on a numeric keypad like a teenage girl.

And it needs to be on Verizon. Help a Monkey out.

Blackberry Tour

That was my initial thought, but it gets expensive fast. I'm wondering if I can get a "lite" version of something that doesn't need as much data.

I say walk into a store and mess around with what's there, and pick out the one you like.

That's my plan. Of course, the two Verizon "affiliates" I went to today have inoperative display models. :basement:

...However, I don't really want to pay for the data plan...

So I'm thinking that I need one of them smart phones?

These two statements seem mutually contradictory. If you're going to keep the iTouch for all the data services and apps, I'm thinking you need a dumb phone. Maybe a camera.

The point being, most smart phones will require a data plan. Unless what that means to you is, "so the question becomes, what smart phone has the cheapest data plan"?

These two statements seem mutually contradictory. If you're going to keep the iTouch for all the data services and apps, I'm thinking you need a dumb phone. Maybe a camera.

The point being, most smart phones will require a data plan. Unless what that means to you is, "so the question becomes, what smart phone has the cheapest data plan"?

Yeah, I guess a dumb phone with a keyboard for texting.

• 1 year later...