General DAC Questions/Tech Thread

The Monkey

Further to the above, I am wondering if people can help define what they mean by a "digital" sound. We're all familiar with this refrain when critics talk about DACses' shortcomings, but what does it really mean? In particular, for those of us who don't have much experience, if any, with hi-end vinyl, how would you describe this "digital" sound signature?

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Further to the above, I am wondering if people can help define what they mean by a "digital" sound. We're all familiar with this refrain when critics talk about DACses' shortcomings, but what does it really mean? In particular, for those of us who don't have much experience, if any, with hi-end vinyl, how would you describe this "digital" sound signature?

It's especially noticeable listening to pianos and violins. Piano notes sound hard-edged and artificial, violins just don't sound real to me.

Speaking of which, this is one reason I miss Australia, as I still own a piano. I'd love to do some amateur recording and compare results between DACs using it. I do have a rich friend who has a grand piano though (to have a house big enough that you have spare room for a grand piano in Japan, you have to be seriously loaded). I don't own a Duet any more though to record with.

I've been listening to the D/AC 1000. A very satisfying sound. Lots of mids, plenty of bass. Some congestion, too. And a relatively close soundstage. Great bang for the buck. The Dodson is better, IMO, but I see why people love the Parasound DACs.

Yeah I guess people don't need the biggest soundstage for headphones.

Interesting that you mention congestion, I never seem to notice that

I am not arguing with you as I think you are right and were with the Electrocompaniet as well.

So what are some DAC's that have little congestion?

What is the opposite of congestion anyway, clarity?

In particular, for those of us who don't have much experience, if any, with hi-end vinyl, how would you describe this "digital" sound signature?

Well, the thing about vinyl is that it isn't always an apples-to-apples comparison. When making an album for both vinyl and CD release, the sound engineer may not apply the same processing to both. This is understandable to a degree, considering their target audiences are different. But it makes it more difficult to say the "processing path" is why something sounds the way it does.

I don't have experience with high-end vinyl, but I'm aware that vinyl has more dynamic range in general than your average cd.

This has more to do with the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war than it does with vinyl as a medium:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Vinyl_Myths

Your average cd these days is produced so that it sounds good on the crappiest speakers, like one of those portable radios.

SACD and specially mastered/remastered versions are different because, as Neko says, they're targeting a different audience.

I've only heard 24/96 vinyl rips on computer which I think sound lower in volume as well as compressed. (compression is another way of saying lower in dynamic range which is ironic)

Evidently, (from my experience) digital vinyl is no solution. hah

Yes, I think separation is probably the term I would use.

lol you might just think this way because the first dac you owned was the benchmark dac1, which sounds very seperated, seperate shattering shards of glass.

(and you yourself is the one who said this)

However, in my short time with the Benchmark I did feel the same way.

Inversely, the first dac I owned was the Lavry DA10 where everything sounded compressed and semi-veiled, so we may be coming from different places on this whole compression thing.

that would depend on your definition of "average cd."

good point

I don't have experience with high-end vinyl, but I'm aware that vinyl has more dynamic range in general than your average cd.

This has more to do with the Loudness war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia than it does with vinyl as a medium:

Myths (Vinyl) - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase

This points to wasting of CD as a medium more than anything else. At a technical level CD has, I think, 20-30dB higher dynamic range than the best vinyl.

I'm not sure I can put it into words. I just know that something goes away -- and no, it's not a veil -- when I listen to high-res PCM (24/96), SACD, or analog.

Your average cd these days is produced so that it sounds good on the crappiest speakers, like one of those portable radios.

Well, I don't know about making it so it sounds good on crappy speakers. :P I'd probably say it's about making it so you can hear all the foot-tapping and sing-along parts on your car radio or in other noisy environments.

This points to wasting of CD as a medium more than anything else. At a technical level CD has, I think, 20-30dB higher dynamic range than the best vinyl.

Interesting, where does reel to reel fit in?

Well, I don't know about making it so it sounds good on crappy speakers. :P I'd probably say it's about making it so you can hear all the foot-tapping and sing-along parts on your car radio or in other noisy environments.

Sorry, I meant "Your average cd these days is produced so that it sounds good even on the crappiest speakers, like one of those portable radios.

I'm not sure I can put it into words. I just know that something goes away -- and no, it's not a veil -- when I listen to high-res PCM (24/96), SACD, or analog.

meh, don't cop out on me Dusty. Use your words! ;)

Do you think high res/SACD/analog sound alike? I know this stuff is hard to describe, but that's why I asked the question. Moar words!

Interesting, where does reel to reel fit in?

According to one reference I found quickly (which agrees with previous reference I have seen for CD and vinyl), the dynamic range of reel to reel tape tops out at 5dB above vinyl.

So the hierarchy is:

Vinyl 60-65

Reel to reel 70

CD 90

Though tape does seem to have many tricks to increase DNR and SNR.

meh, don't cop out on me Dusty. Use your words! ;)

Do you think high res/SACD/analog sound alike? I know this stuff is hard to describe, but that's why I asked the question. Moar words!

I do think high res/SACD sound more like analog -- certainly close enough that I don't think I could tell the difference, even if we found a way to DBT "fatigue".

The problem with describing it is that it's subliminal -- honestly, you're getting so close that really the only difference is fatigue, which I can't hear until I listen for several minutes, perhaps an entire disc.

Okay, here's word for you: "grunge". And I don't mean full-on distortion, I mean a really subtle grunge that you barely notice. It goes where I said "veil" did not. It's easiest to hear when you go back and forth between SACD and CD on the same player (as I've been doing all week). CD is still perfectly listenable, but there's a relief when listening to SACD that just isn't there with CD.

the talk of dynamic range of cd vs LP vs blah blah blah is academic as generally speaking cds never take advantage of their edge in this area. Most recording in the rock arena have dynamic ranges in the 10-15 range on a LP. On cd with a decent mastering job you'll get about the same with most commercial masters you get a brickwalled sausage. So when you examine things like dynamic range you should also be aware that after a certain point it is meaningless.

A 10 -15 db change in volume is pretty huge, classical cds might do better and the mastering might give it an edge in the cd realm but for jazz and rock LP and CD are still better than digital if not for any other reason than brickwalling, no noise, ham fisted compression..... in the mastering.

I found that I preferred DVD A audio over SACD but keep in mind this was for jazz and rock where I believe that masterings were suspect.

Edited by jp11801

Thank you all for a readable and learnable thread on a complicated topic.

Digital seems hollow or missing a fullness of sound that analog provides. Could it be that digital is on or off in signal transmission and analog has a full signal through the gray area between on and off? If this makes no sense, it's because I haven't the vocabulary to express it.

When you go from a 128k to a 320k file, the music is smoother or more refined in presentation. Going analog seems to have the fullest or most refined sound. A wav. file should have the same presentation but can be noticeable on certain instruments as has been mentioned. Hard to detect unless you go hunting for it, but once noticed, draws your attention (like a fly on the TV).

I have to agree with Reks it is the implementation on both the recording (especially mastering) as well as how the playback gear is being implemented. Most disc players and DACs have really lousy output stages. Even some of the big bucks players have pretty mediocre ouput stages.