General DAC Questions/Tech Thread

The Monkey

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am planning to buy the DAC first so it is not that important anyway.

Anybody knows something about these?

EAD DSP-7000

The chip whores will love it but my results with EAD in general have not been great. My DSP 1000 required a bunch of work to get it running properly and now has a significantly modded power supply. So I guess if I had to say anything it'd be that if you get it and it works it'll probably sound very good.

Nate, the 7000 has a beefy r-core transformer instead of the pair of cheap EI ones on your 1000. My guess is that it should be good. Nice chips, and IIRC, a VCXO based secondary PLL. No idea what the output stage is like though.

My DSP doesn't have either of those POS transformers any more. ;)

It is already on my hotlist along with a few others :) but I think close to 400 EUR for an 1100 is too much (that is the one I could find for now), at that price I want the 1600, hope it will pop up.

If you think you would be interested in a 1600 I have one that's pretty rough I'de let go cheap. It plays fine. I also have a DSP7000 mkIII I'de let go of for about half the price of the one you linked to on Agon. You can find pics of the EAD here;). The 1600 I have pics of, just haven't gotten around to putting them up yet. I have no clue what shipping would be to your neighborhood.

If you think you would be interested in a 1600 I have one that's pretty rough I'de let go cheap. It plays fine. I also have a DSP7000 mkIII I'de let go of for about half the price of the one you linked to on Agon. You can find pics of the EAD here;). The 1600 I have pics of, just haven't gotten around to putting them up yet. I have no clue what shipping would be to your neighborhood.

Arg, I do not need either of those...