Audeze LCD-1 just landed!

Icarium

As it is now, I'd probably mod it with a flamethrower.

So any of you know anything about the HE-5LE?

Other than enjoying the fact that they first called it the HE-5 Signature and then thought it might be cool to ride on the 404LE bandwagon on top of the Stax bandwagon and call it the HE-5LE?

HE-5LE headphones will be released between April 15th to 20th. Retail price will be $699. We are doing preorder right now at $649. The first batch HE-5LE headphones are only 20 pcs. Price will be raised to $699 on April 20th. HE-5LE will be plastic casing with beautiful black paint. HE-5LE headphones have different drivers from HE-5, with better balance and slightly higher efficiency. Will provide pictures on early April.

HE-5LE Planar Driver Headphones Preorder - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the LE or Limited Edition moniker is hardly anything new, and certainly not invented by Stax. The timing may seem coincidental, but I doubt it really had much to do with the 404LE. Although I was wrong once back in 1983.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at some old reviews and listening impressions from other people of the amplifier I use with the LCD-1 (the XCANv3), and they all mention that the sub bass is rolled off - exactly the area that I've thought maybe the LCD-1 might need improvement on (and some of my other orthodynamic headphones too, come to think of it...). So maybe I've mixed up the sound of the headphone and the sound of the amp here even worse than I thought.... :palm:

^ Interesting observation morphsci, as a past owner of a PinkFloyd modded V3 and owner of an also PinkFloyd modded V2 I can not agree with you. But that is OK, we all hear differently. :cool:

DefectiveAudioComponent, IMO the bass is one of the best attributes of the X-Can V2 and V3. Granted my impression are w/ modded units using the Little Pinkie PSU. BTW, I found the Solo SRGII w/ PSU1 a better match with the HE5 than the EF5. Good luck.

The post on hf said plastic case, I had been figuring this to mean carrying case, but no real idea.

Any uncertainty has been laid to rest

IMG_4878-2.jpg

IMG_4857-2.jpg

On the HF thread, Fang claims a thinner membrane but thicker traces with lower impedance. All this with lower bass, no peakiness ........

@DAC

I am not sure about the "new" MF XCANS , I owned one of the first V1's and it was a very basic hybrid amp, LV supply with doubla to tube-opamp , so many factors can affect performance in this type of set up. Do you have any frequency sweep tones to do some basic subjective testing?

..dB

Why the heck did he think lower impedance was a good idea? The black looks alright, but hopefully he has better quality pads (they look different in the pics, actually), and I wish there was some cushioning with the headband. The problem with the HE-5 was QC and because Fang or whoever was fooling around with different damping schemes so the buyers were pretty much the beta testers, which is why sound impressions were all over the place. Hopefully it won't be more of the same.

Concerning the xcans my comments are for when it is driving the harder-to-drive headphones which is where a properly damped LCD-1 falls. Subjectively, my LCD-1 is harder to drive after I added some additional damping in the cups. Also, my listening impressions on the newest version are pretty limited but nothing I heard leads me to believe its performance has changed to any great degree. I will be happy if I'm shown to be wrong in this regard as I have always liked the tonality of the xcans.

I hope he has been washing them!

It's common knowledge that the best way to break in shrink to fits is not to wash them for at least the first 300 wears. Urinating or masturbating in them is a more personal break in preference, but proper burn in/break in is essential to a good 701, erm... I mean 501. :D

It's common knowledge that the best way to break in shrink to fits is not to wash them for at least the first 300 wears. Urinating or masturbating in them is a more personal break in preference, but proper burn in/break in is essential to a good 701, erm... I mean 501. :D

Well you certainly couldn't urinate or masturbate in them after breaking them in. There might not even be enough space for a flaccid penis anymore. Which explains a lot of things.

So far just plugged one of the ports.

urdoinitrite