Audeze LCD-1 just landed!

Icarium

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LCD-2 is notably better than the LCD-1 in essentially every way. Fascinating how much the housing affects these things.

I'm not the least surprised at the housing having such a large effect. That's what I discovered when building the Donuts, and also it seems ortho drivers don't like excess space, they seem to want a snug environment. The surprise to me is the thickness of the pads.

Thanks for the comments. After hearing Marc's LCD-1, I'm pretty sure I'll have to buy the LCD-2.

I heard them out of the ZDT, my Moth EC2a3, and Aman's SET prototype. All powerful, single-ended tube amps. I should have tried them out of something a little smaller, but I did not.

I'd love to hear them balanced out of the Cavalli EHHA. That'd be NoNoNoNoNoNo-rific.

grr, I'm hatching a plan that will probably involve stealth for sale ad at the other site. I figure I have $475 or so in mine at the moment, so the $325 trade in doesn't really excite me all that much, I'd rather just sell them myself. Interested parties may contact me, but I haven't totally made up my mind yet. That means the LCD-2 will have to probably make a pilgrimage to the Pacific Northwest as well then :)

Don, it seems to me that your mids didn't so much suppress the hump in the mids as raise up the bottom and top ends. Which I applaud.

:rolleyes: as long as it sounds right, I don't usually care :D. I am curious as to why you think the thick "smeggy felt" won't pull in the mids. I have always worked around this premise.

..dB

Sounds like a good plan. My plan is to rob a bank with a squirt gun spray-painted black and a couple stink bombs, which I think will end up quite badly.

Once you get out of the bank, go immediately to a FedEx location and ship the money to me.

That way I can obtain a good lawyer if you get pinched. I would see to it that you get the best representation possible, just ask my wife Morgan Fairchild. Yeah, yeah that's it...Mo-o-organ Fairchild. :)

:rolleyes: as long as it sounds right, I don't usually care :D. I am curious as to why you think the thick "smeggy felt" won't pull in the mids. I have always worked around this premise.

..dB

heh me too..

In fact even a moor-brook donut gave the same effect albeit to a slightly lesser extent.

as long as it sounds right, I don't usually care.

Same here! if it works, it works. Can't argue against that. I only want to point out that it's difficult to say whether one has reduced midrange or boosted bass and treble, and the latter is always preferable.

If the smeggifelt was being used as a damping adjunct, then I'm sure it reduced any bass-centered resonant peak which undoubtedly brought down some midrange as well, which goes without saying. Is that how you were using it?